U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 02:06 PM

56,282 posts, read 80,465,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Dayton is a small city but they had a female Mayor, a Black woman, about 10 years ago. Dayton also has Trotwood, a Black suburb.
It also has 2 HBCU's in the metro and Paul Laurence Dunbar was from there, where there is a high school named after him in the city. So, there are some things in that area that could appeal to people in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 02:52 PM

6,295 posts, read 5,939,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It also has 2 HBCU's in the metro and Paul Laurence Dunbar was from there, where there is a high school named after him in the city. So, there are some things in that area that could appeal to people in this thread.
Growing up in Akron I was surprised to see cities with a significant Black population (in Ohio) other than Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati, and even though Dayton has a lot of crime issues, culturally, they can hold their own against other cities with significant Black populations.

It is a cheap place to live, and it is not the most exciting place but if you take the time to go out of your way and see what it has to offer you might be pleasantly surprised. The people are a lot friendlier there as well, IMHO, really depends on what you're accustomed to.

I've also been told that the Carolinas have a lot to offer as well.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Growing up in Akron I was surprised to see cities with a significant Black population (in Ohio) other than Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati, and even though Dayton has a lot of crime issues, culturally, they can hold their own against other cities with significant Black populations.

It is a cheap place to live, and it is not the most exciting place but if you take the time to go out of your way and see what it has to offer you might be pleasantly surprised. The people are a lot friendlier there as well, IMHO, really depends on what you're accustomed to.

I've also been told that the Carolinas have a lot to offer as well.
I think a lot of cities are like this, but a lot things like history/historical sites, Black people in leadership positions, middle class neighborhoods with significant to predominate Black populations, cultural events and so on, aren't known unless you take the time to research or check out some things.

What also makes interesting in states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, NY, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and other states outside of the South like those mentioned, you have multiple areas that have these things to some degree. So, I think people may have more options than they realize, as long as people are willing to take the time to look and are open. For instance, a poster earlier in the thread mentioned a small city in Upstate NY he felt uncomfortable in and while I understand what was "up" with that, that same small city has a Juneteenth celebration, a NAACP Chapter, 3-4 Black Churches along with being around 27% Hispanic. This is a community of only 12-13,000. So, sometimes even places you don't expect will have something to offer culturally.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of cities are like this, but a lot things like history/historical sites, Black people in leadership positions, middle class neighborhoods with significant to predominate Black populations, cultural events and so on, aren't known unless you take the time to research or check out some things.

What also makes interesting in states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, NY, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and other states outside of the South like those mentioned, you have multiple areas that have these things to some degree. So, I think people may have more options than they realize, as long as people are willing to take the time to look and are open. For instance, a poster earlier in the thread mentioned a small city in Upstate NY he felt uncomfortable in and while I understand what was "up" with that, that same small city has a Juneteenth celebration, a NAACP Chapter, 3-4 Black Churches along with being around 27% Hispanic. This is a community of only 12-13,000. So, sometimes even places you don't expect will have something to offer culturally.
That's how I felt about Madison. The few Blacks I did run into were friendly and while their Black community was small, it was a very different experience than I was accustomed to, and not in a bad way.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:48 PM

273 posts, read 267,917 times
Detroit baby!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
That's how I felt about Madison. The few Blacks I did run into were friendly and while their Black community was small, it was a very different experience than I was accustomed to, and not in a bad way.
I think I know what you are talking about, as it is only about 8% Black, it seems from what I've researched that it is a generally pretty well educated community that has people in leadership positions and quite a few organizations that serve that community. I'm sure there are issues as well, but there are positive and cultural examples there too.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Detroit baby!
While people clown the city, there some solid areas within city limits and suburbs like Southfield, Lathrup Village, Farmington Hills/Farmington, Oak Park, West Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills and Canton, among others, that have areas that would appeal to said folks.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
I think I know what you are talking about, as it is only about 8% Black, it seems from what I've researched that it is a generally pretty well educated community that has people in leadership positions and quite a few organizations that serve that community. I'm sure there are issues as well, but there are positive and cultural examples there too.
I was there back in 95 the locals claimed that it was only 2% then. But Madison is served by a nice university and you'll probably encounter people with more intelligence there than you would elsewhere. There are a few knuckleheads from Milwaukee and Chicago that live there and like to hang out, but for the most part it is a quite place. Beautiful scenery as well.

Harrisonburg, VA is another nice town. Too quiet for me and the surrounding areas are incredibly rural but it is another educated town. You'll probably encounter more xenophobia than you would in Madison; that seems to be the primary issue I've found in Virginia not so much racism but just good old fashioned xenophobia; unfamiliarity with anything different, as a lot of us are accommodating and assimilate around here. And the ignorance and belligerence that often accompanies it. I like it where I'm at now; Northern Virginia is bourgeois and Central Virginia is on some old school, confederate, reconstruction, 'ish. Its working class so I find it to be a lot similar to where I'm from.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I was there back in 95 the locals claimed that it was only 2% then. But Madison is served by a nice university and you'll probably encounter people with more intelligence there than you would elsewhere. There are a few knuckleheads from Milwaukee and Chicago that live there and like to hang out, but for the most part it is a quite place. Beautiful scenery as well.

Harrisonburg, VA is another nice town. Too quiet for me and the surrounding areas are incredibly rural but it is another educated town. You'll probably encounter more xenophobia than you would in Madison; that seems to be the primary issue I've found in Virginia not so much racism but just good old fashioned xenophobia; unfamiliarity with anything different, as a lot of us are accommodating and assimilate around here. And the ignorance and belligerence that often accompanies it. I like it where I'm at now; Northern Virginia is bourgeois and Central Virginia is on some old school, confederate, reconstruction, 'ish. Its working class so I find it to be a lot similar to where I'm from.
Harrisonburg VA is home to James Madison University and many bigger college towns tend to offer quite a bit for their size. Ithaca NY is like this and it also has Black people in leadership positions(mayor, school superintendent, city council members, etc). So, such communities could be options as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-26-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Harrisburg VA is home to James Madison University and many bigger college towns tend to offer quite a bit for their size. Ithaca NY is like this and it also has Black people in leadership positions(mayor, school superintendent, city council members, etc). So, such communities could be options as well.
I don't think Harrisonburg ever had any Black leadership (I think you're thinking of Harrisburg, which is a city in PA). JMU is the major force in Harrisonburg. Only problem I see with the ongoing conquest of the city by JMU, as opposed to development that occurs in larger cities, say OSU in Columbus, OH, is that the former there is little to do outside of the university. People move there as students of the universities, and then once they graduate unless they procure employment in that city they often move.

Now a larger city like Madison may actually be able to keep talent, because there are other things going on in that town, but a city of like 50,000, which is what Harrisonburg is, or maybe some city like Morgantown, are going to face difficulties in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or