U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 07:46 PM

52,614 posts, read 75,426,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Cross Charlotte off that list.....Not a good city for African Americans...
Interesting.....Why do you say that?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 08:28 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,427,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The main problem there is that SF is just ridiculously expensive, and you'll still have more Blacks in programming/coding in NYC, DC, ATL, etc.
Yeah. Silicon Valley is huge on drawing talent from Standford and Berkley and those schools only graduate 7 and 3% African Americans respectively. Compare that to Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Emory and the AUC in Atlanta which graduate far far more Black students and yes many of them are in the computer sciences. They however mostly stay either in Atlanta or other Eastern Cities for jobs.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:28 PM

2,800 posts, read 4,737,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting.....Why do you say that?
Nightlife was lame, Not a singles city, Family friendly vibe. Careerwise I was also stuck.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:45 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
I'm surprised so many folks name Chicago when this topic comes up, because Chicago is segregated and racially divided as hell. Even if you are clearly a tourist who does not live in Chicago, if you are black and go to nice restaurants and bars and nice areas of the city in general, white people there look at you like, "Who let you out of the South/West side?!?"

Old 03-15-2015, 09:36 PM

3,384 posts, read 3,773,189 times
Quote:
Great post, as it notes and sums up things, good, bad or indifferent.

I think it really is a matter of finding a niche, no matter where you live. With that said, some areas are better than others. As mentioned in another thread, it seems like many areas with a pretty notable to strong military presence offer better metrics in regards to an area's Black population/community, for some reason.
At the end of the day black folks want the exact same things other people want for themselves and their families. We want good jobs, quality education, safety, quality healthcare, etc...There are of course specific things we look for outside of that, being able to experience our culture and have access to certain amenities tailored towards our community is important as well.

So yes, as long as those amenities are present then this comes down to your own personal circumstances. Which is why I find this question difficult to truly answer. For example I live in Cambridge, have a solid career, own a home, have access to excellent public schools for my daughter and can access my culture easily. Would my life instantly improve if I move to a city with more black people? I really dont see why that should be assumed. At the end of the day the challenges I face here are similar to those everywhere else.

So as I said earlier, if a city is not ticking all the boxes so to speak, then how can we elevate one over the other.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:47 PM

12,201 posts, read 17,562,133 times
This is an interesting story.

I was at this black daytime party today, and this very intelligent female engineer from Dallas who goes to grad school in DC said how in Houston she feels that there are more opportunities for "us" and there are more events, societies, culture, etc. geared towards us than in Dallas. She says that in Dallas, she was judged and felt that some of the blacks in Dallas were molding her to be something that she's not. She says in Houston, she feels that she can be herself and that as an African American, she and others can get into the door more easily than in Dallas; she also said this about DC.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:35 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
This is an interesting story.

I was at this black daytime party today, and this very intelligent female engineer from Dallas who goes to grad school in DC said how in Houston she feels that there are more opportunities for "us" and there are more events, societies, culture, etc. geared towards us than in Dallas. She says that in Dallas, she was judged and felt that some of the blacks in Dallas were molding her to be something that she's not. She says in Houston, she feels that she can be herself and that as an African American, she and others can get into the door more easily than in Dallas; she also said this about DC.
Let's not hijack this thread and turn it into another "Houston vs. Dallas/Houston vs. Dallas for Blacks" debate. Houston has a little more of an edge because it had a head start with all the HCBUs in the area and the fact that it has been blacker longer than DFW has, but these days, Dallas is just fine for professional blacks. For that one black professional you are talking about in your story, I know 20 who are successful here in DFW and who love it and think it fits them just fine. And believe it or not, quite a few of them even prefer Dallas over Houston.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:54 PM

3,626 posts, read 4,346,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Son only détroit, ferguson, est style louis and Camdem have amenties for black people?
Why not trowing in Baltimore, Stockton and Gary while you are at it...
Every cities you named are on the decline full will drugs, gang violence and stuff...

The best answers are:
DC
Atlanta
NYC
Jacksonville
Houston
Chicago
Boston and philly
If more black learned programming, we could have add sf... to bad black people are not taking adventage of what that city has to offer
Detroit is actually a major city and metropolitan area with a big and improving economy that has many middle class blacks in the metro area. Not only that but offers amenities and cultural offerings for blacks of all classes. It also has a pretty high income to COL ratio. Don't know much about Baltimore but every other city in the bolded is a suburb of a bigger metropolitan area. Detroit and Baltimore are not even comparable in this case to suburbs that just happen to have alot of black people.

I never knew Boston and Jacksonville were top cities for AA offerings. But I would put St. Louis, Detroit, Baltimore, and maybe Memphis and New Orleans on that list as well. Honorable mentions are Charlotte and Dallas. I'm not sure about LA but I guess they could fit in somewhere.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:11 AM

27,713 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Nightlife was lame, Not a singles city, Family friendly vibe. Careerwise I was also stuck.
None of which means it's not a good city for African Americans...just not a good city for you.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:34 AM

632 posts, read 846,811 times
Quote:
What about SE Queens?
Well, the further east I went in Queens was south side jamaica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or