U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 05:59 AM

508 posts, read 602,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I think I may be looking for something like this.

What cities are out there that have a noticeable black population that's middle class or just "non-ghetto" WITHOUT also having a plethora of "the hood" around as well? It doesnt even have to be a huge black population, just enough to where I wouldnt feel like a needle in a haystack.
I know you said city but could I suggest cities and towns within a metro?

I know some folks on C-D swear Boston is the most racist city ever, but Randolph and Milton are two suburban towns with noticeable Black populations.

Randolph has crappy schools, but it's turning around (most kids go Private, anyway). Milton is a rich town and the Black population lives good. Randolph is about 47% Black and Milton is like 17%. The "neighborhood" part for Milton comes into play because most of the Black population lives closer to the city line with Boston.

Only caveat is that most of the Black population in both towns are of Caribbean ancestry. We have a lot of AAs but it isn't like PG County in Maryland, for example.

Also in either town, you are bound to have neighbors of other races (Vietnamese, Irish, "American", etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:19 AM

3,384 posts, read 3,773,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I know you said city but could I suggest cities and towns within a metro?

I know some folks on C-D swear Boston is the most racist city ever, but Randolph and Milton are two suburban towns with noticeable Black populations.

Randolph has crappy schools, but it's turning around (most kids go Private, anyway). Milton is a rich town and the Black population lives good. Randolph is about 47% Black and Milton is like 17%. The "neighborhood" part for Milton comes into play because most of the Black population lives closer to the city line with Boston.

Only caveat is that most of the Black population in both towns are of Caribbean ancestry. We have a lot of AAs but it isn't like PG County in Maryland, for example.

Also in either town, you are bound to have neighbors of other races (Vietnamese, Irish, "American", etc.)
Randolph is one of only a handful of towns in the US where black median household income is higher than whites. Black folks in Randolph are carving out a pretty nice situation for themselves, especially since it is very much a place trending in the right direction.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:39 AM

52,622 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There are none.
This, but some cities/communities may be better in that regard. Major college towns are generally pretty good in this regard and like the Ithaca examples, may have more people in leadership positions than the percentage/population will have people believe there would be.

Like I've mentioned before in the past, some military towns may also fit. For instance, just an hour north of me, Watertown NY is an area where Blacks have a MHI above the area figure and it is right at the national figure. Fort Drum is an Army Base there and in turn, there is a notable Black population there. Most are in Watertown, on or near the Base, the Carthages and scattered into some other towns. Basically in terms of school districts, Watertown City, Indian River and Carthage will have the most notable Black populations. Here is an example of a family that put roots down in the area and the young man was the QB at Indian River: Densel Barnes and his family find home sweet home with Indian River High School - Syracuse.com

Income info for that area and Watertown: Watertown, Fort Drum Micro Area Income and Careers - USA.comô

Watertown, NY Income and Careers - USA.comô

So, there may be other areas that fit enough of the criteria for some folks.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:42 AM

5,560 posts, read 5,360,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
VA Beach, VA.
Virginia Beach does have poorer areas. May not be the projects but there are sketchy Section 8 and working class areas. I used to live in one of them.

The socioeconomic situation in Virginia Beach is on more of an even playing field in comparison to other cities in Hampton Roads, but issues still exist. But by your logic Chesapeake should also be included. Sure there's South Norfolk but the area around Indian River school has a few well off Blacks.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:20 AM

867 posts, read 1,020,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Virginia Beach does have poorer areas. May not be the projects but there are sketchy Section 8 and working class areas. I used to live in one of them.

The socioeconomic situation in Virginia Beach is on more of an even playing field in comparison to other cities in Hampton Roads, but issues still exist. But by your logic Chesapeake should also be included. Sure there's South Norfolk but the area around Indian River school has a few well off Blacks.
VA Beach does not have any "plethora of ghettos/the hood" just like Southern Soul Bro asked. They make sure that they don't have ghettos...they don't even have a housing authority from what I remember. And "sketchy" by VA Beachs standards is more than likely not what that poster has in mind by "plethora of ghettos/hood" if at all. VA Beach is the most racially integrated and safest city its size in the US, safer than San Diego even with an extremely higher percentage of Blacks than San Diego. It is also one of the most economically even, racially, and is seeking more Black entrepreneurs to come to that city. Issues exist everywhere in this world, so Im not sure what you are talking about...there are no plethora of ghettos in VA Beach.

By "my logic" I chose to say VA Beach because Chesapeake actually has old areas of public housing and so forth, you may not know where theyre at, but they have them. And even with that, Chesapeake still doesn't have a plethora of ghettos. Even their public housing is far flung around their city. Chesapeake is not a bad place to live either though.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 04-28-2015 at 07:32 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 07:41 AM

183 posts, read 172,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I think I may be looking for something like this.

What cities are out there that have a noticeable black population that's middle class or just "non-ghetto" WITHOUT also having a plethora of "the hood" around as well? It doesnt even have to be a huge black population, just enough to where I wouldnt feel like a needle in a haystack.
Nashville, TN and Durham, NC somewhat fit the criteria.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
VA Beach does not have any "plethora of ghettos/the hood" just like Southern Soul Bro asked. They make sure that they don't have ghettos...they don't even have a housing authority from what I remember. And "sketchy" by VA Beachs standards is more than likely not what that poster has in mind by "plethora of ghettos/hood" if at all. VA Beach is the most racially integrated and safest city its size in the US, safer than San Diego even with an extremely higher percentage of Blacks than San Diego. It is also one of the most economically even, racially, and is seeking more Black entrepreneurs to come to that city. Issues exist everywhere in this world, so Im not sure what you are talking about...there are no plethora of ghettos in VA Beach.

By "my logic" I chose to say VA Beach because Chesapeake actually has old areas of public housing and so forth, you may not know where theyre at, but they have them. And even with that, Chesapeake still doesn't have a plethora of ghettos. Even their public housing is far flung around their city. Chesapeake is not a bad place to live either though.
Did I ever say that Chesapeake does not have public housing? I specifically mentioned South Norfolk because it is a ghetto. But Norfolk county, or rather the former Norfolk county that Chesapeake is built out of does not. I am aware of Chesapeake public housing.

And where do you get "plethora". There are plenty of areas in Virgina Beach that could stand improvement. The area is the largest city in the state, so the chances it would have bad areas are actually greater than if it were not.

In some cities, the department of human services handles Section 8. You don't need a Housing Authority per se.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:54 AM

27,721 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Nashville, TN and Durham, NC somewhat fit the criteria.
You're joking, right? Even Black people in NC know Durham is 'hood.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Another thing; a lot happens in Section 8 areas. A lot. Maybe not in Virginia but in most places I've been Section 8 areas aren't but a few degrees of separation from the projects. And sometimes working class areas are worse than projects or Section 8.

You're making Virgina Beach out to be some oasis like Madison WI or Albuquerque NM when its not. No one can guarantee that you can just come to Virginia Beach and everything will be okay because that is not that reality of the place.

I am poor, Black, and lived in Virginia Beach and its no oasis. If we're going to talk about being Black in Virgina Beach then we should do it from the perspective of transients as well as native Blacks. Because that is what that poster would be, a transient, and he might not assimilate into the culture there or he may be in search of something cultural the city may not appear to offer. There's nothing wrong with Virginia Beach, but I didn't find it to be culturally diverse. Sure there are middle class Blacks there. Great. But that doesn't mean anything there are middle class Blacks everywhere. Everyone assumes that the presence of middle class Blacks presumes that everything is okay with them when the reality could be they're sick of dodging bullets and have found a place they can afford to own a home in a nice neighborhood.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:25 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're joking, right? Even Black people in NC know Durham is 'hood.
I thought the same thing.lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or