U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-28-2015, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,580 posts, read 5,373,293 times
Reputation: 3023

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're joking, right? Even Black people in NC know Durham is 'hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2015, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,022,321 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Did I ever say that Chesapeake does not have public housing? I specifically mentioned South Norfolk because it is a ghetto. But Norfolk county, or rather the former Norfolk county that Chesapeake is built out of does not. I am aware of Chesapeake public housing.

And where do you get "plethora". There are plenty of areas in Virgina Beach that could stand improvement. The area is the largest city in the state, so the chances it would have bad areas are actually greater than if it were not.

In some cities, the department of human services handles Section 8. You don't need a Housing Authority per se.
Sometimes you just don't pay attention very well goofy...and you say some weird stuff. You said by my logic Chesapeake should be included. I said that -I chose- to say Va Beach because Chesapeake has older areas of public housing. So what are you talking about? South Norfolk is not a ghetto either, its just a working class neighborhood in Chesapeake.

Where do I get "plethora"? Do you remember what post I was replying to? There are plenty areas in Beverly Hills that could stand improvement too...what does that have to do with anything? Man listen, VA Beach has no plethora of ghettos/the hood. Good grief, dude asked where there was a mainly middle class or at least "non ghetto" without also having a plethora of "the hood" around as well. If you want to say Chesapeake is that, cool...I started to as well, BUT, already explained why I CHOSE to mention VA Beach instead. What are you arguing about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,022,321 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Another thing; a lot happens in Section 8 areas. A lot. Maybe not in Virginia but in most places I've been Section 8 areas aren't but a few degrees of separation from the projects. And sometimes working class areas are worse than projects or Section 8.

You're making Virgina Beach out to be some oasis like Madison WI or Albuquerque NM when its not. No one can guarantee that you can just come to Virginia Beach and everything will be okay because that is not that reality of the place.

I am poor, Black, and lived in Virginia Beach and its no oasis. If we're going to talk about being Black in Virgina Beach then we should do it from the perspective of transients as well as native Blacks. Because that is what that poster would be, a transient, and he might not assimilate into the culture there or he may be in search of something cultural the city may not appear to offer. There's nothing wrong with Virginia Beach, but I didn't find it to be culturally diverse. Sure there are middle class Blacks there. Great. But that doesn't mean anything there are middle class Blacks everywhere. Everyone assumes that the presence of middle class Blacks presumes that everything is okay with them when the reality could be they're sick of dodging bullets and have found a place they can afford to own a home in a nice neighborhood.
Weird.

Are we talking about the place I CHOSE to mention or some place in your mind.

I never made VA Beach seem like ish. I personally don't hang out there so what the hell are you talking about oasis? Man asked a simple question I gave him a simple answer, all this stuff you saying is stuff you comin up with yourself.

Are we talking about you and your "stuff" now or are we talking about Southern Soul Bro? Because my reply was to him...he may or may not be poor...I don't know what you dealin with but you dealin with something else over there. He may very well be a "transient" ...he may or may NOT be poor. All that other stuff you sayin, SMH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,580 posts, read 5,373,293 times
Reputation: 3023
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Sometimes you just don't pay attention very well goofy...and you say some weird stuff. You said by my logic Chesapeake should be included. I said that -I chose- to say Va Beach because Chesapeake has older areas of public housing. So what are you talking about? South Norfolk is not a ghetto either, its just a working class neighborhood in Chesapeake.

Where do I get "plethora"? Do you remember what post I was replying to? There are plenty areas in Beverly Hills that could stand improvement too...what does that have to do with anything? Man listen, VA Beach has no plethora of ghettos/the hood. Good grief, dude asked where there was a mainly middle class or at least "non ghetto" without also having a plethora of "the hood" around as well. If you want to say Chesapeake is that, cool...I started to as well, BUT, already explained why I CHOSE to mention VA Beach instead. What are you arguing about?
It is because I feel that poster wants the good without the bad. He wants an affluent, Black neighborhood, with no working class or poor neighborhoods in sight. That isn't Virginia Beach in my opinion.

The way I read it, poorer neighborhoods always outnumber affluent ones. Thus the "plethora" of poor neighborhoods. I honestly think he's looking for an oasis like Naples, FL, not a working class neighborhood.

Also, you have upper class Blacks that like to distance themselves from poor Blacks, even more so than everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,580 posts, read 5,373,293 times
Reputation: 3023
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Weird.

Are we talking about the place I CHOSE to mention or some place in your mind.

I never made VA Beach seem like ish. I personally don't hang out there so what the hell are you talking about oasis? Man asked a simple question I gave him a simple answer, all this stuff you saying is stuff you comin up with yourself.

Are we talking about you and your "stuff" now or are we talking about Southern Soul Bro? Because my reply was to him...he may or may not be poor...I don't know what you dealin with but you dealin with something else over there. He may very well be a "transient" ...he may or may NOT be poor. All that other stuff you sayin, SMH.
I don't know his situation I can only speak to my own experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 09:08 AM
 
52,705 posts, read 75,579,586 times
Reputation: 11636
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
I know you said city but could I suggest cities and towns within a metro?

I know some folks on C-D swear Boston is the most racist city ever, but Randolph and Milton are two suburban towns with noticeable Black populations.

Randolph has crappy schools, but it's turning around (most kids go Private, anyway). Milton is a rich town and the Black population lives good. Randolph is about 47% Black and Milton is like 17%. The "neighborhood" part for Milton comes into play because most of the Black population lives closer to the city line with Boston.

Only caveat is that most of the Black population in both towns are of Caribbean ancestry. We have a lot of AAs but it isn't like PG County in Maryland, for example.

Also in either town, you are bound to have neighbors of other races (Vietnamese, Irish, "American", etc.)
I wonder if Cambridge would also fit given the strong college presence in the city. You have the suburbs/adjacent cities like Everett, Malden, Somerville, Medford, Lynn and Chelsea that have notable Black populations, but I'm not sure if they have a enough of a range of neighborhoods.

I know in the Philly area, Cheltenham comes to mind in terms of good schools and areas that are highly/predominately Black and middle class. Census Tract 202202 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 202402 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

Cheltenham Township School District - USA.comô

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-28-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,022,321 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
It is because I feel that poster wants the good without the bad. He wants an affluent, Black neighborhood, with no working class or poor neighborhoods in sight. That isn't Virginia Beach in my opinion.

The way I read it, poorer neighborhoods always outnumber affluent ones. Thus the "plethora" of poor neighborhoods. I honestly think he's looking for an oasis like Naples, FL, not a working class neighborhood.

Also, you have upper class Blacks that like to distance themselves from poor Blacks, even more so than everyone else.
Oh aight, my fault then...but you cant get mad at that man for liking what he likes. Whats wrong with wanting the "good" without the "bad" though? Not to say VAB is "good" for everyone... but that's the type of place it seems likes hes askin about. He said the place "doesn't have to have a huge Black population, he just doesn't want to feel like a needle in a haystack" how is that NOT VA Beach...its 20% Black and mostly middle class. How he vibes with the place is subjective so I cant really answer all that for him...many Blackfolks like it out there obviously sooo...

None of that takes anything away from Chesapeake or Suffolk or anywhere else for that matter though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,580 posts, read 5,373,293 times
Reputation: 3023
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Weird.

Are we talking about the place I CHOSE to mention or some place in your mind.

I never made VA Beach seem like ish. I personally don't hang out there so what the hell are you talking about oasis? Man asked a simple question I gave him a simple answer, all this stuff you saying is stuff you comin up with yourself.

Are we talking about you and your "stuff" now or are we talking about Southern Soul Bro? Because my reply was to him...he may or may not be poor...I don't know what you dealin with but you dealin with something else over there. He may very well be a "transient" ...he may or may NOT be poor. All that other stuff you sayin, SMH.
Even though Virginia Beach is a nice place to live, I'm still not sure it offers what the poster is looking for culturally from a Black perspective. He may be able to utilize what is available in other cities in the region, but depending on his interests, he may not find it in Virginia Beach.

That is how I always felt living there. If you're into suburbia Virginia Beach is great but outside of that ... It is a little different now with the Sandler Center but I think a lot more could be done. The Color Purple was interesting when they came into town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
5,580 posts, read 5,373,293 times
Reputation: 3023
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Oh aight, my fault then...but you cant get mad at that man for liking what he likes. Whats wrong with wanting the "good" without the "bad" though? Not to say VAB is "good" for everyone... but that's the type of place it seems likes hes askin about. He said the place "doesn't have to have a huge Black population, he just doesn't want to feel like a needle in a haystack" how is that NOT VA Beach...its 20% Black and mostly middle class. How he vibes with the place is subjective so I cant really answer all that for him...many Blackfolks like it out there obviously sooo...

None of that takes anything away from Chesapeake or Suffolk or anywhere else for that matter though.
I see what you're saying. I was thinking about it from the perspective that Chesapeake has a higher percentage of Blacks. But Virginia Beach has greater numbers.

Chesapeake also appeared to have Black neighborhoods where I think Virginia Beach neighborhoods are more integrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Randolph, MA
508 posts, read 604,061 times
Reputation: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder if Cambridge would also fit given the strong college presence in the city. You have the suburbs/adjacent cities like Everett, Malden, Somerville, Medford, Lynn and Chelsea that have notable Black populations, but I'm not sure if they have a enough of a range of neighborhoods.

I know in the Philly area, Cheltenham comes to mind in terms of good schools and areas that are highly/predominately Black and middle class. Census Tract 202202 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

Census Tract 202402 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

Cheltenham Township School District - USA.comô
I usually don't like boosting Metro North but you're right. Those towns aren't as "Black" relative to Randolph and Milton but they do have very visible communities. Especially up in Somerville. The only downfall is that they don't have Black "neighborhoods".

I guess you can say the same thing about Randolph and to a lesser extent Milton. The main difference would be that you can find Black people in every neighborhood in Randolph and most of Milton outside of "East Milton".

Lynn and Chelsea are Hispanic cities (mostly). Cambridge is gentrifying and the traditionally (typically Black) lower middle class neighborhoods (Port, Midblock, NC) are pretty much gone, but you'd have no issue living anywhere else in that city.

Overall, I think OP would love Somerville (Ball Square) and Milton (off of Blue Hill Ave). Randolph may be a bit too middle class for his taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top