U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 12:28 PM

27,786 posts, read 24,838,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Well, just because you knew it doesn't mean that everyone else did, or even that they should. Like I said unless you're a history buff or you have some vested interest you usually focus primary on what's going on in your own environments. Its nothing personal.
I'm not a history buff, but I am Black and do consider myself smarter than the average bear and am aware that the Tidewater area, Charleston, and New Orleans were among the biggest ports of entry for slaves into the U.S. *shrugs*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 12:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,552,085 times
Quote:
Well, just because you knew it doesn't mean that everyone else did, or even that they should. Like I said unless you're a history buff or you have some vested interest you usually focus primary on what's going on in your own environments. Its nothing personal.
Good point.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:08 PM

868 posts, read 1,358,451 times
Default ....

From my experiences:

DC Metro
New York
Los Angeles
Atlanta
Houston
New Orleans

I have family that currently resides in all of these places and I try to visit at least once or twice a year. IMO, the DC Metro is where most of the sophisticated blacks reside, not saying they are not everywhere, but the ones I meet are very articulate and knowledgeable. Would live there in a heartbeat, that's actually the next place I would like to move too, if i can find a company to match my salary. Folks there also have a strong scene of community and pride, and it appears the "good ol boy mentality" is very unnoticeable compared to cities like Houston, Atlanta and New Orleans.

For job/economic purposes it would have to be Houston. I work for a major O/G firm here and I have met many brothers and sisters that make really good money. I work in corporate but operations divisions at the O/G firms pay very well too, and in some cases a degree is not needed (this is where most of AA's work in O/G). My brother works for a O/G company without a degree and he pulls in close to 60K, he's only in his low 20's...

This is something that sets Houston apart from the others is its economic output, you can live very well as a blue collar worker primary because the markets in the area a mostly blue collar (O/G and Healthcare). IF YOU HAVE A GOOD WORK ETHIC AND DON'T MIND ROLLING UP YOUR SLEEVES AND GETTING A little DIRTY. I'm not saying that Houston is a major black culture hub, but as far as economics/COL is concerned its winning compared to the other cities mentioned IMO. Money talk..BS walk..

Old 04-28-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
From my experiences:

DC Metro
New York
Los Angeles
Atlanta
Houston
New Orleans

I have family that currently resides in all of these places and I try to visit at least once or twice a year. IMO, the DC Metro is where most of the sophisticated blacks reside, not saying they are not everywhere, but the ones I meet are very articulate and knowledgeable. Would live there in a heartbeat, that's actually the next place I would like to move too, if i can find a company to match my salary. Folks there also have a strong scene of community and pride, and it appears the "good ol boy mentality" is very unnoticeable compared to cities like Houston, Atlanta and New Orleans.

For job/economic purposes it would have to be Houston. I work for a major O/G firm here and I have met many brothers and sisters that make really good money. I work in corporate but operations divisions at the O/G firms pay very well too, and in some cases a degree is not needed (this is where most of AA's work in O/G). My brother works for a O/G company without a degree and he pulls in close to 60K, he's only in his low 20's...

This is something that sets Houston apart from the others is its economic output, you can live very well as a blue collar worker primary because the markets in the area a mostly blue collar (O/G and Healthcare). IF YOU HAVE A GOOD WORK ETHIC AND DON'T MIND ROLLING UP YOUR SLEEVES AND GETTING A little DIRTY. I'm not saying that Houston is a major black culture hub, but as far as economics/COL is concerned its winning compared to the other cities mentioned IMO. Money talk..BS walk..
Oh it's there...trust.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:15 PM

52,725 posts, read 75,655,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that the Tidewater area was heavily Black; it was historically one of the biggest, and I think the first, port of entry for slaves into the U.S.
That is true and Richmond is around 30% Black in terms of its metro. So, it isn't too far behind at all.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:45 PM

5,580 posts, read 5,380,329 times
Quote:
I'm not a history buff, but I am Black and do consider myself smarter than the average bear and am aware that the Tidewater area, Charleston, and New Orleans were among the biggest ports of entry for slaves into the U.S. *shrugs*
But again, lol. A lot of people just don't care about that stuff. Its good that you know these things, particularly as a Black person. But not everyone cares. I don't care, and I'm Black, so that's not really saying anything, plus a lot of Whites know the history of it a lot better than most Blacks.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for. Again, it may be common knowledge for you because you're interested in those things but for the average person it really isn't. Your knowledge of those things doesn't necessarily imply that you are smarter than the average person, its just something that you happen to know. I consider myself to be above average intelligence as well but I didn't know.

I guess you're saying that it should fall under something that we should know? What good does it do me to know what the biggest ports of entry for slaves were, other than to use it to gauge attitudes people may have today in those areas? I'm not saying that doesn't help me now that I am in Tidewater, but I think that the truth of the matter of Whites current attitudes towards Blacks could be more complex.

I'm more interested in knowing that slavery, and the effects of slavery, wasn't just a Southern thing. We're told this myth that if slaves made it on the Underground Railroad and made it to the North, Midwest, or out West that they would not have to deal with slavery anymore and that was anything but the case. We're also sold this idea that racism is more of construct that come out of slavery, and that was also false. Some of the biggest beneficiaries of slavery were in the Northeast. Ports of entry for slaves; that's more of an answer to a trivia question for me when it is presented outside of any meaningful context that I can use to do with that fact. Its just data at that point, not even information.

I was educated in a system that glossed over all of those things and presented facts in a way in which it would not be interesting to me, because they knew that if any emphasis was placed on it we would have knowledge of self and work to change the indoctrination they were programming us under. I had a Black teacher in one of those small private schools I mentioned earlier that would not even teach Black history in a history class, and that wasn't a governmental department of education decision that was more of a "I'm the only Black teacher in this school and I want to keep my job" type of decision. That is what I had to deal with. I should have had the fortitude to go outside of myself to acquire the knowledge, but I didn't; I'm sorry.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
But again, lol. A lot of people just don't care about that stuff. Its good that you know these things, particularly as a Black person. But not everyone cares. I don't care, and I'm Black, so that's not really saying anything, plus a lot of Whites know the history of it a lot better than most Blacks.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for. Again, it may be common knowledge for you because you're interested in those things but for the average person it really isn't. Your knowledge of those things doesn't necessarily imply that you are smarter than the average person, its just something that you happen to know. I consider myself to be above average intelligence as well but I didn't know.

I guess you're saying that it should fall under something that we should know? What good does it do me to know what the biggest ports of entry for slaves were, other than to use it to gauge attitudes people may have today in those areas? I'm not saying that doesn't help me now that I am in Tidewater, but I think that the truth of the matter of Whites current attitudes towards Blacks could be more complex.

I'm more interested in knowing that slavery, and the effects of slavery, wasn't just a Southern thing. We're told this myth that if slaves made it on the Underground Railroad and made it to the North, Midwest, or out West that they would not have to deal with slavery anymore and that was anything but the case. We're also sold this idea that racism is more of construct that come out of slavery, and that was also false. Some of the biggest beneficiaries of slavery were in the Northeast. Ports of entry for slaves; that's more of an answer to a trivia question for me when it is presented outside of any meaningful context that I can use to do with that fact. Its just data at that point, not even information.

I was educated in a system that glossed over all of those things and presented facts in a way in which it would not be interesting to me, because they knew that if any emphasis was placed on it we would have knowledge of self and work to change the indoctrination they were programming us under. I had a Black teacher in one of those small private schools I mentioned earlier that would not even teach Black history in a history class, and that wasn't a governmental department of education decision that was more of a "I'm the only Black teacher in this school and I want to keep my job" type of decision. That is what I had to deal with. I should have had the fortitude to go outside of myself to acquire the knowledge, but I didn't; I'm sorry.
Did you really go through all of this in response to my post? Dude, it's not that serious--at least not for CD (although I'd highly encourage you to know more about your own history). You can let it go now and move on.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:59 PM

5,580 posts, read 5,380,329 times
Quote:
Did you really go through all of this in response to my post? Dude, it's not that serious--at least not for CD (although I'd highly encourage you to know more about your own history). You can let it go now and move on.
I was over it until you kept it going and making light of the fact that I didn't know it. But I see that you're taking the high road so whatever.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I was over it until you kept it going and making light of the fact that I didn't know it. But I see that you're taking the high road so whatever.
I didn't make light of the fact that you didn't know it (although I do find it somewhat baffling that people aren't aware of Virginia's role in slavery and the slave trade); I only said that I did, along with other major ports of entry for slaves in the U.S. Either way, it certainly didn't require a dissertation for a response.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:31 PM

7,798 posts, read 11,743,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Baltimore isn't looking like a good choice based on the current tensions.
It's definitely not at the top of this list for sure, but what's happening there could happen in any major city honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or