U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 06:34 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,854,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Rural communities in areas like South Carolina.

That doesn't really exist, in my experience. Now there are prominent, prosperous Black communities everywhere but there is usually a ghetto around somewhere.

Who do you think works in the service industry in those areas? Poor and working class people of all races.
Whoa, man. Unless the rural areas in SC are any different than they are in Georgia and Alabama, I dont know about that.

Many rural towns here in Middle and South Georgia struggle with poverty and are ghetto like inner city areas. The same in West and South Alabama.

They honestly are worse, IMO. Turning old buildings that used to be something else into clubs, love to fight to "prove" themselves, usually more "tacky" in the way the locals dress. The nightlife in many of these backwoods towns consist of using the local "American Legion" posts to hold parties more ghetto than even the inner city of large cities. This is definitely not the move for me

The Legion, Sparta, GA

The Legion, Thomasville, GA

Most of these towns are like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:46 PM

27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Whoa, man. Unless the rural areas in SC are any different than they are in Georgia and Alabama, I dont know about that.
They aren't.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:12 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I didn't make light of the fact that you didn't know it (although I do find it somewhat baffling that people aren't aware of Virginia's role in slavery and the slave trade); I only said that I did, along with other major ports of entry for slaves in the U.S. Either way, it certainly didn't require a dissertation for a response.
Ok I was done but I need to add this to my earlier statement to be clear:I am awre of Virginia and its role in the slave trade as well as Maryland,I just did not remember the name Tidewater.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Many rural towns here in Middle and South Georgia struggle with poverty and are ghetto like inner city areas. The same in West and South Alabama.

They honestly are worse, IMO. Turning old buildings that used to be something else into clubs, love to fight to "prove" themselves, usually more "tacky" in the way the locals dress. The nightlife in many of these backwoods towns consist of using the local "American Legion" posts to hold parties more ghetto than even the inner city of large cities. This is definitely not the move for me

The Legion, Sparta, GA

The Legion, Thomasville, GA

Most of these towns are like this.
You aint lyin.Just as ratchet as they can be.lol

I went to Ft,Valley State University(an HBCU) in Ft,Valley and its so ratchet it aint even funny.I rarely went out when I was down there.

I might add that MOST are not but many are.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:24 PM

35 posts, read 43,602 times
My List would be :

New Orleans, Oakland , L.A., nyc , and maybe Chicago

Old 04-28-2015, 07:28 PM

27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ok I was done but I need to add this to my earlier statement to be clear:I am awre of Virginia and its role in the slave trade as well as Maryland,I just did not remember the name Tidewater.
Gotcha. Tidewater is the name given to coastal Virginia, the Hampton Roads area.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:55 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,854,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You aint lyin.Just as ratchet as they can be.lol

I went to Ft,Valley State University(an HBCU) in Ft,Valley and its so ratchet it aint even funny.I rarely went out when I was down there.

I might add that MOST are not but many are.
ahh man, I dont even want to get started on FVSU. Too many people in my family and people I know went there. Were you there when it was still named FVSC and they had those commercials, "FVSC, it's the place to be " I remember it from when I was a kid and my aunts went there.

I was 19-20 about 10 years ago attending AAMU and came home to visit one weekend. I went with my friends to a FVSU Greek party at Spruce Street Gym and it ended up in a huge fight with the crowd being pepper sprayed.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:13 AM

Quote:
ahh man, I dont even want to get started on FVSU. Too many people in my family and people I know went there. Were you there when it was still named FVSC and they had those commercials, "FVSC, it's the place to be " I remember it from when I was a kid and my aunts went there.

I was 19-20 about 10 years ago attending AAMU and came home to visit one weekend. I went with my friends to a FVSU Greek party at Spruce Street Gym and it ended up in a huge fight with the crowd being pepper sprayed.
No I was an older student in the Air Force.i commuted from Perry where I lived with my grandmother but I still experienced what it was like in Fort Valley.
It was a university for about2 or 3 years when I went there.

Fort Valley the city was a ratchet city but has improved greatly.Actually remarkably.Still poor but not as visibly so as it was.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:45 PM

25 posts, read 26,435 times
I'm super interested in the answer so I know which city I should never ever visit or move to.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrigginTodd View Post
I'm super interested in the answer so I know which city I should never ever visit or move to.
Even more reason that I like this thread so I feel totally comfortable where Im at knowing you will stay away!
Dont need any clouds on my sunny day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or