Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:40 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,875,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Yep. These would be the top five it I'd agree -- Atlanta, DC, NYC, Philly and Chicago -- though depending on what metrics you choose, the order of the top five might change around. But "the best" place obviously depends on individual taste, temperment, occupation, preferences for weather, proximity to family, and so forth.

You can also find decent numbers of solid black achievers in the SF Bay Area, Houston, metro LA, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, and Boston, which I'd use to round out the top ten.

And as a sleeper you might throw in metro Detroit. As screwed up as that city is -- and I hope it really is on an upswing now -- I met an awful lot of smart and talented brothers and sisters during the short time I lived there.
I agree with this. I've met plenty of on point bothers and sisters in Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 08:51 PM

173 posts, read 196,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

On your point about continental African culture, I disagree. While Houston does have a large Nigerian community, and Boston a large Cape Verdean community, they smaller than the overall African communities in Atlanta, DC, and New York. Just in raw population numbers, it's pretty clear where you would find more culture:

(Keep in mind these are native-born numbes and doesn't include their children born as Americans)
New York-Northern New Jersey- Long Island 211,735
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 160,820
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta 67,770
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana 67,505
Minneapolis-St Paul-Bloomington 63,885
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington 60,905
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy 59,985
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 50,380
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington 47,580
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville 42,510

With a larger population comes a more dynamic culture experience. When you pair that with the over all large African-{insert origin here} populations those three cities have, it's a no brainer.

Where would Toronto rank on that list? I know there's a huge foreign-born population there, I'd imagine some percent of that is African-born.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:12 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,053,583 times
The best cities to be Black are:

Norfolk, VA
Charlotte, NC
Atlanta, GA
Houston, TX
New York, NY

Old 03-13-2015, 09:16 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,245,723 times
Actually I would like to slightly revise my NYC statement and be more specific with Queens. For this reason:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/ny...anted=all&_r=0

Old 03-13-2015, 11:07 PM

832 posts, read 1,247,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Actually I would like to slightly revise my NYC statement and be more specific with Queens. For this reason:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/ny...anted=all&_r=0
I love queens (I am a black guy), one of the few places I really want to live (especially Long island city and Jamaica), Queens, Manhattan, DC, SF and western part of LA

Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The answer to all three questions without a doubt is Atlanta, DC, and New York City. They have the largest populations of peoples of Africans descent (except for DC which is just a hair smaller than Chicago, for now) and the greatest access to all of the cultural/economic/social offerings anyone that is African, African-Ameriacn, Afro-Caribbean, or Afro-Latin could want. While other cities do indeed offer such things, no other city beats those three.

On your point about continental African culture, I disagree. While Houston does have a large Nigerian community, and Boston a large Cape Verdean community, they smaller than the overall African communities in Atlanta, DC, and New York. Just in raw population numbers, it's pretty clear where you would find more culture:

(Keep in mind these are native-born numbes and doesn't include their children born as Americans)
New York-Northern New Jersey- Long Island 211,735
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 160,820
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta 67,770
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana 67,505
Minneapolis-St Paul-Bloomington 63,885
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington 60,905
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy 59,985
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 50,380
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington 47,580
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville 42,510

With a larger population comes a more dynamic culture experience. When you pair that with the over all large African-{insert origin here} populations those three cities have, it's a no brainer.

Minneapolis is an interesting one. While they do have a very large African population, I've also heard of Africans having great difficultly there integrating with the surrounding culture. Though I will admit I have no personal experience with that town.

On Afro-Caribbean and Afro-Latin, it would be NYC and Miami however Atlanta and DC (surprise surprise) are no slouch in that category either.
Looking at the %age, DC region has the most African people

Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 PM

273 posts, read 347,618 times
Twenty years ago I would've said Oakland but it's had a huge influx of Asians and Latinos over the last decade or so so now I'd say Detroit; Camden, New Jersey and Ferguson, Missouri; these cities seem to epitomize black culture at this point.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Twenty years ago I would've said Oakland but it's had a huge influx of Asians and Latinos over the last decade or so so now I'd say Detroit; Camden, New Jersey and Ferguson, Missouri; these cities seem to epitomize black culture at this point.
Are you associating black culture (african american / african /caraibean) with thug drug or violence, urban decay and poverty?

Old 03-14-2015, 05:52 AM

91,974 posts, read 122,078,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
I love queens (I am a black guy), one of the few places I really want to live (especially Long island city and Jamaica), Queens, Manhattan, DC, SF and western part of LA
What about SE Queens?

Old 03-14-2015, 06:44 AM

37,789 posts, read 41,472,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Are you associating black culture (african american / african /caraibean) with thug drug or violence, urban decay and poverty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City