Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 03:54 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Right. And when Outkast first came out, they weren't trying to sound "New York and conscious." They were rapping about being pimps and playas, being old school/soulful, and ocasionally about gangsta stuff, just like most rappers around the South were at the time, including in Memphis and Houston.
True. What Outkast did was bring a more conscious and artsy angle to the southern sound. That's what made them stars.

Houston epitomizes the term "underdog". They never have sought the pop culture shine that Atlanta has, but it's the quality of the music that makes them stand out. There's a reason why the average Atlanta rapper is popular for about two years...while Bun B has enjoyed a relevant career spanning four decades; longer than virtually any rapper from anywhere in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:01 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
True. What Outkast did was bring a more conscious and artsy angle to the southern sound. That's what made them stars.

Houston epitomizes the term "underdog". They never have sought the pop culture shine that Atlanta has, but it's the quality of the music that makes them stand out. There's a reason why the average Atlanta rapper is popular for about two years...while Bun B has enjoyed a relevant career spanning four decades; longer than virtually any rapper from anywhere in the country.
Yea t.I and other Atlanta artist personally said bun b and pimp inspired them. Hell even on t.i 's song ft young thug he says pocket full of stones which was a song made by bun b and pimp c.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:02 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,072 times
Atlanta has the most radio play. But Houston has the culture and flies under the radar.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think it's possible you may be overstating that influence just a tad.

"This mentality missed Atlanta's Andre Benjamin and Antwan Patton. Their red clay funk emerged from the Dungeon—the nickname for the basement studio owned by Rico Wade, one third of their production squad, Organized Noize. They’d come up on Brand Nubian, Poor Righteous Teachers, A Tribe Called Quest, and Rakim, just like everyone else in the room. They’d break danced and bought Ron G mixtapes at the 5 Points Flea Market. Their realness was beyond reproach."

Atlanta to Atlantis: An OutKast Retrospective | Pitchfork

Also, Outkast is notably absent from this list--although, to be fair, TI is on it: The Southern Way: UGK 's Top 12 Disciples | Houston Press
You're quoting a publication that is probably too hipster to even know who UGK is. All I did was quote Big Boi himself, so whatever...

Old 04-22-2015, 04:06 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
"Southern Soul Bro": You are spouting a bunch of ignorance, generalizations, and lies about Memphis rap, its influences throughout the South just on an UNDERGROUND level without even being mainstream, and about how much Memphis and Houston both influenced mainstream Atlanta Hip Hop and Southern Hip-Hop in general throughout the 90's.

I am not going to sift through a bunch of long posts laden with lies and silly pictures of retired NBA players and out of work rappers making ugly faces every sentence or two. If you are as old as you claim to be, then that's really not a good look on you. You obviously have been frequenting a bunch of those silly basketball and rap forums, but we don't do that here on City-Data. Ain't nobody got time for that...

Your average casual rap fan ONLY heard of UGK and the Geto Boyz/Scarface back in the day as far as Texas is concerned, and they only heard of Three Six and Eightball & MJG as far as Memphis.

95% of those other rappers from Memphis and Houston are irrelevant and unheard of by the general public, and that's coming from someone who actually did used to listen to it. I know because I used to be about the only guy around who knew anything about it.

I know this may hurt your soul, but most people, even right here in Georgia, didnt know a THING about what DJ Screw or Screw Music was, until guys like Lil Flip went mainstream and started mentioning it on B.E.T.

Lets get to what the real issue is here.

At times it seems like Houston, Memphis, or the big supporters of their music scenes, get mad that they pioneered certain things and existed before ATL rap, yet ATL popularized it and has continued to be more of a staple in the mainstream.

I'm just trying to say you cant get mad at Atlanta because Memphis and Houston didnt make music that appealed to a more mainstream audience. Do yall expect them to do a tribute to Memphis and Houston before every song they make? Hey, lets not stop there. Lets shout out New York in all rap songs for starting it all.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:07 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
You're quoting a publication that is probably too hipster to even know who UGK is. All I did was quote Big Boi himself, so whatever...
LOL, you quoted one lyric and that's supposed to mean that Outkast completely modeled themselves after Houston rappers? Come on dude...

And if the publication is too hipster to know who UGK is, they are probably too hipster to know who those other rappers are too.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, you quoted one lyric and that's supposed to mean that Outkast completely modeled themselves after Houston rappers? Come on dude...
But where did I say that they were "completely modeled" after them? What I said is that they were direct influences. Clearly, they were.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:14 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
So here's a Black-owned restaurant in Harlem that's worth checking out. Brunch is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1bQ1KQwfI

Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
But where did I say that they were "completely modeled" after them? What I said is that they were direct influences. Clearly, they were.
One of many...I only said you were probably overstating Houston's influence on Outkast. You'd have a better argument with TI.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So here's a Black-owned restaurant in Harlem that's worth checking out. Brunch is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1bQ1KQwfI
I may check it out when I come up to the city this weekend; I'll be in Harlem most of the day tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City