Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 AM

73 posts, read 88,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Dude stop it. Trust me, I probably know much more than most on this subject. You have to comprehend before you can reply. I never said that was ALL Memphis rap consisted of, I said it played a big part of it. It was deeply ingrained in the Memphis sound. Memphis had crunk, dark, eerie beats with very evil subject matter. Sure, you had Eightball and MJG, but most Memphis artists had that same "dark" sound. Three Six, Kingpin Skinny P, Evil Pimp, Playa Fly, Al Kapone, Tommy Wright III, pretty much anybody under Prophet Posse, etc.

You're talking as if Memphis had some huge MAINSTREAM following back in those days besides Three Six and Eightball & MJG to pick from. Most of those dudes I named are not household names even within the south.

Eightball & MJG represented sound that was different than the norm, "dark" Memphis rap. They were influenced a lot by Houston because they were on Rap-a-lot.

Even though Three Six toned down all the "horrorcore/evil rap" from back when they went by Triple Six, you still cant say they completely ditched it, they always partially maintained that sound. You can even hear it in their new "DaMafia6" material.

You've got forums, sites, and playlist dedicated to "Memphis Devil Rap" but some of yall trying to act like it was only Three Six

They were on Suave House Records, a Houston Based Record label though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:14 AM

73 posts, read 88,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't think it's embarrassing. I think it's the sound that people appeal to. Houston's sound does not appeal to the masses like that. Never has and never will. That slowed down sound is cool if you want to chill. But if you want to party, like most do, the last city you will turn on is Houston. Now I will say that there are probably more lyrical rappers in Houston than Atlanta. Like I said, South Park Coalition which was deep were lyrical beasts. They just had terrible production. Which leads me to this. But Atlanta had better production than Houston. When people want to chill, they turned on Houston. Everything else, Atlanta. That including the marketing and distribution is why Atlanta was boosted. Same with New Orleans. Let's be real. THAT city dominated the South in the late 90s. Not Atlanta, not Houston. Just about every artists coming from the South was from New Orleans. The sound appealed heavily, nationwide and they had good marketing and distribution.
I'll take the Houston/UGK, Rap A Lot and Outkast/Organized production anyday over those trap beats lol

I just love the smooth sounds with live intruments.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,755,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
BINGO!Part of the reason Atlanta is known for its nightlife and Houston...well...its just not known.lol
Even the clubs in Buckhead are blasting rap.

I drive for Uber and am amazed that all the young white adults from the burbs wanna hear is rap.Im talking about stuff you really dont here on the radio.They know every word

White people love ratchet Atlanta hip hop. They just don't want to be around ratchet people when they hear it

Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,017,769 times
Afonega1 and a few other Atl homers are really trying they hardest to downplay Houston hip hop, club scene , nightlife for blacks etc. I'm really starting to get the sense they never been to H town. To many assumptions being thrown around.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
White people love ratchet Atlanta hip hop. They just don't want to be around ratchet people when they hear it
White ppl love hip hop from everywhere.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meilmarc View Post
I'll take the Houston/UGK, Rap A Lot and Outkast/Organized production anyday over those trap beats lol

I just love the smooth sounds with live intruments.
Them boys in Atlanta don't know about poppin trunk, reclining fifth wheel, banging screw, coming down etc. Lol they don't know about the true playa made slab music from the H. I'm glad they don't they steal enough styles already. Like I said earlier Houston will always be the godfather of southern hip hop. Houston pioneered they own car culture Atlanta didn't do that.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:48 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,755,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Them boys in Atlanta don't know about poppin trunk, reclining fifth wheel, banging screw, coming down etc. Lol they don't know about the true playa made slab music from the H. I'm glad they don't they steal enough styles already. Like I said earlier Houston will always be the godfather of southern hip hop. Houston pioneered they own car culture Atlanta didn't do that.

That's not our culture. Our culture is strip clubs and nightclubs

Old 04-23-2015, 08:57 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,533,050 times
This debate is pretty stupid, ladies.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:00 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
That's not our culture. Our culture is strip clubs
Right, because Atlanta is the only city that has these things.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:03 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
This debate is pretty stupid, ladies.
Yeah I don't even know what the point is anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City