Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:35 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Replace Boston with DFW. I think Houston has the best chance to get up in the top five personally because the Black middle class is exploding there. What I think hurts Houston is that there is nothing like a PG or a DeKalb County in the Houston area.
Because Houston isn't as segregated as those areas. Southwest Houston/Fort Bend is the primary area for well to do Blacks, and it's still too incredibly diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 11:41 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What makes Prince George's County so attractive. I lived there and as an african american I would never live there again. Still the black sheep county of the DC area. Crime problem, bad schools. Sprawly with hideous 1960s apartment complexes, strip malls with bad stores. The beltway seems to be the dividing line. The outer beltway communities are nicer but still lack good shopping amenities like Tyson's, Montgomery or Columbia. Still lacking in good restaurants compared to its neighboring counties. Besides it being a majority black county and cheaper housing I don't see any reason to live there. Decade after decade retailers like Nordstrom, Crate & Barrel, Nike, Barney's and many others continue to ignore PG. Is there a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's yet? Besides it being a black middle class majority county I say no thanks.
Slightly old but:

Cafritz complex to open in 2015 - Local - The Diamondback Online

Plus, Wegman's in Woodmore/Glenarden still attracts a massive crowd of customers.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:47 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
WF is on the way: RIVERDALE PARK STATION

But generally speaking, middle-class Black communities are underserved when it comes to retail across the board.
This.

And I see you already beat me to it.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:51 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Replace Boston with DFW. I think Houston has the best chance to get up in the top five personally because the Black middle class is exploding there. What I think hurts Houston is that there is nothing like a PG or a DeKalb County in the Houston area.
I agree, but Houston also benefits too because DeKalb is going downhill.

I can see Houston climbing ranks even higher because the word is finally starting to get out about Houston.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:55 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Because Houston isn't as segregated as those areas. Southwest Houston/Fort Bend is the primary area for well to do Blacks, and it's still too incredibly diverse.
Add the Northside too.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:28 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Yeah that was my point.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:16 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I agree, but Houston also benefits too because DeKalb is going downhill.
The effects of the recession were more pronounced in a county like Dekalb because Blacks were disproportionately affected by the economic downtown nationwide. But even outside of Dekalb County, metro Atlanta has a lot of smaller middle-class Black enclaves scattered about that are pretty stable and still doing well (Cascade, Camp Creek, Fayetteville, Lawrenceville, etc.).

Old 03-15-2015, 03:22 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
If more black learned programming, we could have add sf... to bad black people are not taking adventage of what that city has to offer
The main problem there is that SF is just ridiculously expensive, and you'll still have more Blacks in programming/coding in NYC, DC, ATL, etc.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:45 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Its always been very strange to me how black folks rate a city. The US is a strange case as a whole, as it is most likely the best country on earth to be a black professional, but at the same time has so much room for improvement.

That is why I stated that NYC is probably the best place. You have the economic indicators in Queens, where blacks out-earn whites. You have access to black cultural events and amenities, whether you are African American, Caribbean, Latino or African. The issue with NYC is that it has some of the worst racial profiling practices in the country (I went to school in NYC during my undergrad and had a few issues), so despite all the plusses there are major flaws.

It is really tough for me to give credit to most of these cities when there are so many minuses, even in so called "black meccas". If your black community is not equal or out earning whites income wise, if your black community has one of the highest black unemployment rates, if your black community has a huge disparity in health outcomes vs whites, etc..then I am sorry, your city does not deserve a pat on the back. It will take a long time to score highly on all categories as we did not exactly get a head start, but you have to score highly on the important stuff before you get elevated as a great place for black people to live.
Great post, as it notes and sums up things, good, bad or indifferent.

I think it really is a matter of finding a niche, no matter where you live. With that said, some areas are better than others. As mentioned in another thread, it seems like many areas with a pretty notable to strong military presence offer better metrics in regards to an area's Black population/community, for some reason.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Houston , Dallas, Charlotte , and Atlanta just to name a few.
Cross Charlotte off that list.....Not a good city for African Americans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City