Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,446,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
There are definitely benefits to having a strong black professional and political infrastructure in place, if you are moving to an area as a black person. Networking opportunities and having people in place in both local and state government to advocate for issues that are important to our community are a benefit.

These things do not always perfectly align with large black populations though. There are cities with large populations, but no real foothold on professional and political life. Look at a place like Ferguson as a perfect example.
Not so much Ferguson, which is a smallish suburb, but I hear as much about metro St. Louis--at least compared to other, more overall progressive metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 10:15 AM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
What's up with Houston...? The image we have for Texas here in any country not named USA is that Texas is a racist redneck gun loving shooting first, making sure the guy dead then ask question later to the dead corpse later about why did he cut him on the road, carrying a gun everywhere even at churches and school state... Please explain... To me, I see DC and ATL... NYC can be good if you are willing to work hard
You don't have the slightest clue on what you're talking about. Considering that Texas has the second largest black population in the nation with a chance to have the largest in the nation by 2020, Blacks seem to do just fine in this state.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:23 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,135,166 times
When I think of black meccas I don't think of Houston or Dallas but both have black communities, and at least in the case of Houston are in "ok" shape. I mean, the ghetto areas of Houston, the blighted areas of Houston are indeed in majority the black ones. A lot of clubs in Houston in the loop enforce selective clothing policy in keeping the "ratchet" crowd out. Case in point, I don't even remember the name, but it was some roof top bar, and my asian friend had air force ones. He was denied entry, but the bouncer was apologetic and admitted to him "it's beyond my hands, and it's a shame because you're not the type we're trying to keep out."

But that being said, Houston is doing better than many other cities. Cough cough, Detroit.

Still when it comes to Black Meccas, Atlanta is head and shoulders above everything. If I was Black, I'd park myself in Atlanta. It's basically the black Los Angeles.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM

Oh boy

Old 03-16-2015, 10:33 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,060,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh boy
LOL, I know, right?

Old 03-16-2015, 10:43 AM

Usually I associate eye rolling with women

Old 03-16-2015, 12:04 PM

13,674 posts, read 15,574,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
When I think of black meccas I don't think of Houston or Dallas but both have black communities, and at least in the case of Houston are in "ok" shape. I mean, the ghetto areas of Houston, the blighted areas of Houston are indeed in majority the black ones. A lot of clubs in Houston in the loop enforce selective clothing policy in keeping the "ratchet" crowd out. Case in point, I don't even remember the name, but it was some roof top bar, and my asian friend had air force ones. He was denied entry, but the bouncer was apologetic and admitted to him "it's beyond my hands, and it's a shame because you're not the type we're trying to keep out."

But that being said, Houston is doing better than many other cities. Cough cough, Detroit.

Still when it comes to Black Meccas, Atlanta is head and shoulders above everything. If I was Black, I'd park myself in Atlanta. It's basically the black Los Angeles.
Air Force One's in a club? Only in the south. That is not club attire.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Air Force One's in a club? Only in the south. That is not club attire.
It wasn't so much a club but a roof top lounge, though it wasn't all that high to begin with, like 2nd or 3rd floor, which is what I missed about Atlanta, they loved top floor lounges with excellent views.

He was dressed kind of urban, kind of hipster, at the same time, if this makes sense. In Atlanta they'd offer you at the door to buy your way in if you were inappropriately dressed. You want to bring in that red A flat bill, it will be an extra 80$ at the door. I liked that principal too.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:11 PM

832 posts, read 1,246,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You don't have the slightest clue on what you're talking about. Considering that Texas has the second largest black population in the nation with a chance to have the largest in the nation by 2020, Blacks seem to do just fine in this state.
... I know Texas has the second largest black population... I will suggest you to get out the USA more and talk with people... you will see that the cliche I gave to Texas is basically true to most people.. better yet, go to a foreign forum and ask their view about Texas..

Old 03-16-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
... I know Texas has the second largest black population... I will suggest you to get out the USA more and talk with people... you will see that the cliche I gave to Texas is basically true to most people.. better yet, go to a foreign forum and ask their view about Texas..
I do not care what foreigners say about Texas or their ignorant perceptions and the black americans who have moved to Texas do not either. So I reject your suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City