Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 02:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,418,219 times

Advertisements

Atlanta and Lexington KY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 04:58 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Air Force One's in a club? Only in the south. That is not club attire.
Yeah we know, everybody in DC wears wingtips and three-piece suits to the club. Except the ratchet spots where they play a bunch of Go Go; foamposites are allowed there.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:50 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Well I'm not Black so I won't argue it, maybe Houston has something I missed.

As someone who lived in both Atlanta and Houston, Atlanta always struck me as head and shoulders above Houston when it comes to things like an energetic and fashionable black community. Simply put there seems to be more energy, upward mobility, higher status and awareness in Atlanta's black community than Houston's. Also there seems to be more to do for black's in Atlanta than Houston.

One interesting thing about Atlanta is it has clubs who cater to blacks, and whites. As usual. But the clubs that cater to whites will almost always have nights that cater to blacks, which is not very common. By cater, I'm talking music choices as well as general crowd it pulls. Anyways, I mentioned the door policy earlier, which is also geared to blacks, since it allows some of the hip-hop fashion inside even an upscale club, that is usually banned. Just give them extra money at the door, it's not under the table, it's policy.

Houston on the other hand struck me as more of a regular city with black people there.
Yeah you missed something. Lots of things. And what does that in bold even mean?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:57 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,652,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Cross Charlotte off that list.....Not a good city for African Americans...
^^ This. You beat me to it. Charlotte is NOT a good city for AA's. Though the city is making progress, it's years away from being anything significant.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:09 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
What are the best cities in America for Black people, all around for everything. For black professionals, for people that want to experience black history, black culture, black amenities (barber shops, African stores, African cuisine, African-American cuisine (no not the same thing as African cuisines, which are Ethiopian, Angolan, Nigerian, among other nationalities from Africa)).

Best metropolitan areas with the best educational institutions for black people, the best neighborhoods for black people, the best entertainment options for black people, the best place for a socially mobile black person.

How about we try to figure the TOP metropolitan area in America for them first, then we try to establish a top 5, after that a top 10 and then we call it a day with this comparison.
You're gonna need a time machine and go back a couple decades for that type of crap man.... this type of segregation isn't as big in 2015, good luck tho.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:18 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
^^ This. You beat me to it. Charlotte is NOT a good city for AA's. Though the city is making progress, it's years away from being anything significant.
It's already significant as a secondary city for African Americans by most objective standards, which is why it ranked sixth in this study: The Cities Where African-Americans Are Doing The Best Economically - Forbes

Old 03-17-2015, 12:03 AM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Charlotte is already a significant city for Black Americans. Wouldn't mind relocating there when I get older. Many Black Washingtonians are already doing that.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:15 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
When I think of black meccas I don't think of Houston or Dallas but both have black communities, and at least in the case of Houston are in "ok" shape. I mean, the ghetto areas of Houston, the blighted areas of Houston are indeed in majority the black ones. A lot of clubs in Houston in the loop enforce selective clothing policy in keeping the "ratchet" crowd out. Case in point, I don't even remember the name, but it was some roof top bar, and my asian friend had air force ones. He was denied entry, but the bouncer was apologetic and admitted to him "it's beyond my hands, and it's a shame because you're not the type we're trying to keep out."

But that being said, Houston is doing better than many other cities. Cough cough, Detroit.

Still when it comes to Black Meccas, Atlanta is head and shoulders above everything. If I was Black, I'd park myself in Atlanta. It's basically the black Los Angeles.
Yeah, lots of blacks thought the same thing until they actually moved to Atlanta and decided for themselves that the city isn't worth the hype. Much of the blame can be placed on ourselves, however, since many black folks are moving there for the most superficial reasons. I'm not saying it's a bad city, but it's not a perfect fit for every black person.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:44 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,060,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Yeah, lots of blacks thought the same thing until they actually moved to Atlanta and decided for themselves that the city isn't worth the hype. Much of the blame can be placed on ourselves, however, since many black folks are moving there for the most superficial reasons. I'm not saying it's a bad city, but it's not a perfect fit for every black person.
Now this I absolutely agree with.

No city---no matter which one it is---is one size fits all for every black person.

With that being said, even with Atlanta's "Black Mecca" label, I believe its heyday was from the mid-90's through the late 2000's. In the 2010's, I hear about more and more black professionals who are frustrated with Atlanta and looking to move elsewhere, and many young black people who are skipping Atlanta altogether because they believe Atlanta is sort of played out. People are frustrated with the higher than average unemployment rate and the lack of jobs in Atlanta, with how bad traffic has gotten there, and with how bad the dating scene is for single straight people, etc.

Before anybody gets mad at me, this is not ME saying these things about Atlanta. These are just the kinds of things I am hearing and seeing more and more black people say about Atlanta as their reasons for leaving, wanting to leave, or just skipping over it completely.

I actually think Houston is going to be the city that many black people who choose not to do Atlanta start moving to, and even Dallas to a lesser extent. Texas is really booming right now, and is getting more and more black/professional black transplants these days.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:49 AM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Now this I absolutely agree with.

No city---no matter which one it is---is one size fits all for every black person.

With that being said, even with Atlanta's "Black Mecca" label, I believe its heyday was from the mid-90's through the late 2000's. In the 2010's, I hear about more and more black professionals who are frustrated with Atlanta and looking to move elsewhere, and many young black people who are skipping Atlanta altogether because they believe Atlanta is sort of played out. People are frustrated with the higher than average unemployment rate and the lack of jobs in Atlanta, with how bad traffic has gotten there, and with how bad the dating scene is for single straight people, etc.

Before anybody gets mad at me, this is not ME saying these things about Atlanta. These are just the kinds of things I am hearing and seeing more and more black people say about Atlanta as their reasons for leaving, wanting to leave, or just skipping over it completely.

I actually think Houston is going to be the city that many black people who choose not to do Atlanta start moving to, and even Dallas to a lesser extent. Texas is really booming right now, and is getting more and more black/professional black transplants these days.
I also think this is why Charlotte and other nearby Southern major/mid major areas are becoming more popular along with those TX metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City