Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 07:16 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But I didn't say there were no concentrations. I said that the Black upper middle class is more dispersed. The point I was making was that there is no Tri-State equivalent of PG/Dekalb.
I know you didn't say that about there not being any concentrations. I'm just saying that the concentrations are just smaller in the NYC area. That's all. I believe there a couple in the NJ portion of the metro too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 07:18 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
You said nation, not world. No saying it isn't but can't say it is neither
Houston: Energy Capital of the World | Morning Star Builders

Occidental Petroleum to Move its HQ to Houston – The Energy Capital of the World | Realty News Report

Type in the nickname in a google search and see what you get.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:37 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
You said nation, not world. No saying it isn't but can't say it is neither
Houston is not the singular energy capital of the world, but it is one of the 5 or 6. The others bein the likes of Rio de Janeiro, Amsterdam, Abu Dhabi, and Singapore.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:58 PM

6,212 posts, read 9,148,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Just go to most spots on U Street, Adam's Morgan, H Street, and Galleryplace. Mostly the same thing. Nobody going all out on these strips.
Huh?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:18 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,652,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Charlotte is already a significant city for Black Americans. Wouldn't mind relocating there when I get older. Many Black Washingtonians are already doing that.
^^ Doesn't mean it's significant because Black Americans are moving there. I moved there too, but moved away along with a few of my colleagues who also found the city lacking. The city is definitely overrated and not a good city for blacks.

Last edited by lovely40; 03-17-2015 at 10:33 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
^^ Doesn't mean it's significant because Black Americans are moving there. I moved there too, but moved away along with a few of my colleagues who also found the city lacking. The city is definitely overrated and not a good city for blacks.
And you've not given any good reasons for saying it's not a good city for Blacks. Just because you're Black and it wasn't a good fit for you doesn't mean it's not a good city for Blacks across the board according to objective data. As a former resident (I only moved away to take a job in Georgia but preferred to stay in the Charlotte area)--and yes I'm Black--I recognize the city's shortcoming in some areas (which all cities have) but in terms of opportunities for Blacks in a variety of areas, they were and are definitely present. It's a bit hard to take someone seriously who says Charlotte is "backwoods" in the same vein as Memphis when it comes to opportunities for Blacks.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:58 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Huh?
Just an addition to what BajanYankee said on the people who to go to Bar 7. Same crowd is at the locations I just named. DC night life for Blacks isn't that much different than every other city to me.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:48 AM

832 posts, read 1,246,976 times
Any city can provide opportunity for black people, just need more black entrepreneurs... reading this thread it feels like blacks just want everything handed to them, like they will go if others are doing things for them... I know my ante in law who is doing very well in Portland, OR, they created their business and doing pretty good despite Portland being a "white city"... They did not say "Portland is too white, nothing for black let us avoid it..." they went there, worked, created and succeed... more black needs to take exemple instead of wanting everything handed to them

Old 03-18-2015, 06:28 AM

867 posts, read 1,388,116 times
^^^^^^^ I try to fall back from this forum and its delusional weirdos, but I just gotta say...this (above statements) is some of the dumbest sheet Ive heard on here lately...aside from the now locked race baiting thread.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:30 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times
My last 3 cities I lived in were Los Angeles, Seattle and DC. Though DC has the most blacks it was my least favorite. It seemed to be the least progressive. And everything is always about race. The so-called black professionals only hang out amongst themselves and when they come out to visit me that's who they want to be with, and no one else. I can't believe people act this way. Everytime I go back to DC it always reminds me of a small southern town more so than a big city.
I choose cities that offer things that interest me. Great food, great weather, abundant cultural amenities, great jazz scene, in city hiking, ocean minutes away, low humidity, great skiing, and so on. DC needs to come out of the southern 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City