Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 07:46 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I don't know about this. I see plenty of black people on U Street and in Chinatown and Downtown. It's not exclusively black but neither are midtown etc..
I said that it is "noticeably different from Atlanta." Atlanta's blackness sort of slaps you in the face as soon as you step off your plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:18 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
i've been in a few restaurants in atlanta where my table was the only or 1 of 2 tables with black people. i was surprised to notice that in atlanta but i'm not surprised when i visit other cities and there are only a few black proprietors.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i've been in a few restaurants in atlanta where my table was the only or 1 of 2 tables with black people. i was surprised to notice that in atlanta but i'm not surprised when i visit other cities and there are only a few black proprietors.
That happens in Atlanta sometimes, especially depending on the side of town you're on.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:51 AM

413 posts, read 437,468 times
Well the cities you would expect Atlanta,DC,New York City,Chicago,Baltimore,Philadelphia and Houston come to mind probably..........but smaller cities in the new south are making a stride as well Charlotte is increasingly becoming a major player with black folk Im from NYC and always hear about someone moving to Charlotte or Atlanta and sometimes the Raleigh/Durham area as well........Dallas is another city that has a healthy and strong growing black population.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:28 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
Every single forum I go, I always see threads similar as this one. Meh. I don't get the obsession of black Americans with making these sorts of threads in every single general forum.
It's because sadly enough in most American cities most black people are still concentrated at lower income and lower educational attainment status.

As you strive to succeed and rise up in the job market or academia you start to see ridiculously few Black faces. You start to realize that there aren't very many Blacks out there that share your experiences to interact with but if you go to the "hood" there we are. And many of the Blacks there don't have much in common with you or identify with you (especially if you are young Black and upwardly mobile) It's depressing.

This is not the case in cities like Atlanta and D.C., NYC. I haven't been there yet but I understand a lot of things are happening in Houston as well.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:03 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is woefully outdated; DC and Atlanta no longer fit in the "concentrated gentrification" category and haven't for about a decade.
I agree andd thought the same thing.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:27 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I said that it is "noticeably different from Atlanta." Atlanta's blackness sort of slaps you in the face as soon as you step off your plane.
True, fair enough

Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't even know what that means.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:55 PM

594 posts, read 698,211 times
ARIZONA

I am black and Arizona by far is the best place I ever lived and still live.

I had no idea there was a place in America where people absolutely treat a black man for his character and not his color. On the job, at the store, in the neighborhood, daily conversations, whatever.
As a black man or black period, you are not followed in stores, women don't clinch their purse tighter as they walk by you, people don't lock their car doors as you approach, I've been here for 16 years and not one time have I heard of police brutality against blacks.
There is no side of town with all blacks, all races party together, go to school together, church together, live in the same neighborhoods together, go the same parks together, kids play together, non of that latino vs black stuff or white vs black stuff, the diversity here is special.
You have native americans, asians, blacks, whites, spanish, india etc with absolutely no prejudices from anyone. Louis Farrakhan lives out here and has been for years...that right there should tell you how blacks are treated out here.
Muhammad Ali and his family lives out here and as a matter of fact, St Joseph hospital a well respected facility in Phoenix has their main ward and building named after him and his wife Lonnie...

When I was 18, I loved the Phoenix Suns and Charles Barkley used to say all time, you will not believe how blacks are treated in Arizona and how it was paradise for blacks. So that got me thinking about phoenix. One day I was waiting tables at a hotel when some big football players walked in with Arizona Cardinals gear on, they sat in my station and when they were done with their meal I asked them about Arizona and they told me the same thing.

Emmit Smith a hall of famer for the Dallas Cowboys played I believe 1 or 2 seasons for the Arizona Cardinals and retired. The press asked him was he going back to Texas, he said no, I'm keeping my family here.

DMX the famous rapper did a interview from jail ( its on utube ) and said this is the most beautiful place in the country and he went to jail 3 or 4 time here but refuse to leave the state because of how blacks are treated. His mistake was he had those fighting pitbulls the same time Michael Vick got in trouble with the law and the nation was in a fury over that.

The list goes on and on and on. If you are a black person or any race of person, the devil did not want you to find out about Arizona, thats the reason he put so many negative stereotypes about it out there. In Arizona you can have a new house, new car, living in sunshine and palm trees , a luxury apt mid-town or downtown can be had for 700 dollars with no bugs, a garage for your car, in a brand new place for under 700 dollars a month. You can walk your apt, catch the train downtown, watch the Suns ve Lakers or the D-Backs vs the Dodgers, grab you a bite to eat, come back home on the train, jump in your new car, cruise out to Scottsdale and party and go back home. The next weekend you can take a 3 and a half hour ride to Vegas and party there and watch the PPV fights for 20 dollars and drive back home.... The next couple of weeks you can chill out in Phoenix with a plethora of things to do. The next weekend after that you can take a flight to LA or drive to SanDiego ( 5 hours ) and hangout for the weekend. The folowing weekend you can drive down to ROCKY POINT ( 2 hours ) and party on the beach for the weekend.

There is a reason why Arizona is one of the top 3 places people are moving to in the last decade.
Black people I co-sign this place. I have lived in LA, San Diego, New-York, Atlanta, Washington DC, Columbus Ohio...............Arizona by far is the best place I ever lived. There is no second.

I thank God everyday that he let me experience a place where I'm treated like a human like everyone else. I am totally honored to have my remains buried in the soil of the Great State of Arizona when I pass.....I did not know such a place existed in America !!!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:47 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Emmit Smith a hall of famer for the Dallas Cowboys played I believe 1 or 2 seasons for the Arizona Cardinals and retired. The press asked him was he going back to Texas, he said no, I'm keeping my family here.
Huh? They live in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City