Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 04:53 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because that would mean over 200,000 Blacks have moved to Atlanta metro over the course of three years. Going by estimates, 327,000 people have moved to the Atlanta metro so far this decade. You're thinking that the Black population made up that much of it's growth? That's why I said doubtful. Also, the reason why it's half that in Houston is because the Latino population in Houston is significantly larger than Atlanta's. If it was on par with the rest of the South, the Black percentage would be much higher.
Not only that Houston's ratio of blacks, Hispanics, and whites is similar to Atlanta's ratio of blacks and whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 04:54 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Because that would mean over 200,000 Blacks have moved to Atlanta metro over the course of three years. Going by estimates, 327,000 people have moved to the Atlanta metro so far this decade. You're thinking that the Black population made up that much of it's growth? That's why I said doubtful. Also, the reason why it's half that in Houston is because the Latino population in Houston is significantly larger than Atlanta's. If it was on par with the rest of the South, the Black percentage would be much higher.
I think the Hispanic population makes the difference in terms of Houston. It isn't that Houston isn't as a magnet or hot spot in terms of Black culture/entertainment/education, etc., it is the fact that there are just more communities that make up an integral portion of the metro area in Houston. This is the case historically, while it is more of a recent phenomenon in Atlanta.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:01 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
ARIZONA

I am black and Arizona by far is the best place I ever lived and still live.

I had no idea there was a place in America where people absolutely treat a black man for his character and not his color. On the job, at the store, in the neighborhood, daily conversations, whatever.
As a black man or black period, you are not followed in stores, women don't clinch their purse tighter as they walk by you, people don't lock their car doors as you approach, I've been here for 16 years and not one time have I heard of police brutality against blacks.
There is no side of town with all blacks, all races party together, go to school together, church together, live in the same neighborhoods together, go the same parks together, kids play together, non of that latino vs black stuff or white vs black stuff, the diversity here is special.
You have native americans, asians, blacks, whites, spanish, india etc with absolutely no prejudices from anyone. Louis Farrakhan lives out here and has been for years...that right there should tell you how blacks are treated out here.
Muhammad Ali and his family lives out here and as a matter of fact, St Joseph hospital a well respected facility in Phoenix has their main ward and building named after him and his wife Lonnie...

When I was 18, I loved the Phoenix Suns and Charles Barkley used to say all time, you will not believe how blacks are treated in Arizona and how it was paradise for blacks. So that got me thinking about phoenix. One day I was waiting tables at a hotel when some big football players walked in with Arizona Cardinals gear on, they sat in my station and when they were done with their meal I asked them about Arizona and they told me the same thing.

Emmit Smith a hall of famer for the Dallas Cowboys played I believe 1 or 2 seasons for the Arizona Cardinals and retired. The press asked him was he going back to Texas, he said no, I'm keeping my family here.

DMX the famous rapper did a interview from jail ( its on utube ) and said this is the most beautiful place in the country and he went to jail 3 or 4 time here but refuse to leave the state because of how blacks are treated. His mistake was he had those fighting pitbulls the same time Michael Vick got in trouble with the law and the nation was in a fury over that.

The list goes on and on and on. If you are a black person or any race of person, the devil did not want you to find out about Arizona, thats the reason he put so many negative stereotypes about it out there. In Arizona you can have a new house, new car, living in sunshine and palm trees , a luxury apt mid-town or downtown can be had for 700 dollars with no bugs, a garage for your car, in a brand new place for under 700 dollars a month. You can walk your apt, catch the train downtown, watch the Suns ve Lakers or the D-Backs vs the Dodgers, grab you a bite to eat, come back home on the train, jump in your new car, cruise out to Scottsdale and party and go back home. The next weekend you can take a 3 and a half hour ride to Vegas and party there and watch the PPV fights for 20 dollars and drive back home.... The next couple of weeks you can chill out in Phoenix with a plethora of things to do. The next weekend after that you can take a flight to LA or drive to SanDiego ( 5 hours ) and hangout for the weekend. The folowing weekend you can drive down to ROCKY POINT ( 2 hours ) and party on the beach for the weekend.

There is a reason why Arizona is one of the top 3 places people are moving to in the last decade.
Black people I co-sign this place. I have lived in LA, San Diego, New-York, Atlanta, Washington DC, Columbus Ohio...............Arizona by far is the best place I ever lived. There is no second.

I thank God everyday that he let me experience a place where I'm treated like a human like everyone else. I am totally honored to have my remains buried in the soil of the Great State of Arizona when I pass.....I did not know such a place existed in America !!!
This is why I actually believe the south is LEAST racist.

In my experience, a person is more likely to experience racism in places where very few people look like them. You hear all the old stories and stereotypes about places like Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama, which can hold some truth, but generally you won't experience any racism over most of the entirety of these states. Why not? Because most of the little towns are 25%-55% black themselves. Typically when you pull up to the Gas station in even the smallest of towns in South Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, SC, etc. the half or more of the people at pumps next to you are black and the woman or man behind the counter is black, and a group of black teens on bikes are coming in, "Jimbo" and "Billy Bob" isn't going to start any trouble. The few places I do receive racial undertones or attitudes down here, is when I'm in particular areas or parts of towns where blacks are very few in number. The thing is, not many of those areas exist in Alabama or GA, because black people live in the city and in the rural. Outside of the South, the black population is confined to being IN or AROUND certain metropolitan areas, and everywhere else is pretty much below 7 or 8% black.

Phoenix is a large city, and I'm sure the blacks who live in certain pockets there are fairly comfortable, but there's no way in the world I'll believe you can venture through 90+ % of the state where blacks make up less than 5% of the population and have me believe they'll accept me with open arms.

I have a family member from Newark, NJ who's job moved her to a small town near Lancaster, PA. She hosted the family reunion one year and I experienced more racism in one week than I have my entire life in the deep south. Many times we were in stores, restaurants, parks, etc and we nearly represented the only blacks around and received lots of stares. We were at some waterpark and noticed the teen kid they had as a lifeguard kept jumping down the black kids throats about what was or wasnt "allowed" but he wasn't saying the same thing to the white or hispanic kids (There were a lot of hispanics in this part of PA, I'm guessing they were Puerto Ricans). We called him out on it.

Another time I was going to Rochester, NY to visit family by car. We stopped in a town called Dunkirk, NY and I went into a Wal-Mart and received lots of intimidating stares. The same thing happened stopping for food in Findlay, Ohio en route to Detroit once on I-75.

So no, I'm not buying that these places outside of the South are so friendly and accepting. Maybe in the cities, yeah, but not all over. At least down here blacks are pretty much everywhere. I dont have to worry about walking into some place being the only black guy.

No way in the world you're telling me those places colored in all that yellow are happy when a black guy moves next door.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 04-23-2015 at 05:32 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 05:02 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Duh! I'm talking about MSA!!

City is more like 25ish.
Yes its half of what it is in Atlanta which as 54% so how is that even close?The fact that the metro populatopn of AA in Houston is lower than it city population tells the whole story there.
Especially considering Houston's land area is about 4x the size of Atlanta.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:08 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes its half of what it is in Atlanta which as 54% so how is that even close?The fact that the metro populatopn of AA in Houston is lower than it city population tells the whole story there.
Aight

Old 04-23-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post

In my experience, a person is more likely to experience racism in places where very few people look like them. You hear all the old stories and stereotypes about places like Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama, which can hold some truth, but generally you won't experience any racism over most of the entirety of these states. Why not? Because most of the little towns are 25%-55% black themselves. Typically when you pull up to the Gas station in even the smallest of towns in South Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, SC, etc. the half or more of the people at pumps next to you are black and the woman or man behind the counter is black, and a group of black teens on bikes are coming in, "Jimbo" and "Billy Bob" isn't going to start any trouble. The few places I do receive racial undertones or attitudes down here, is when I'm in particular areas or parts of towns where blacks are very few in number. The thing is, not many of those areas exist in Alabama or GA, because black people live in the city and in the rural. Outside of the South, the black population is confined to being IN or AROUND certain metropolitan areas, and everywhere else is pretty much below 7 or 8% black.

Phoenix is a large city, and I'm sure the blacks who live in certain pockets there are fairly comfortable, but there's no way in the world I'll believe you can venture through 90+ % of the state where blacks make up less than 5% of the population and have me believe they'll accept me with open arms.

I have a family member from Newark, NJ who's job moved her to a small town near Lancaster, PA. She hosted the family reunion one year and I experienced more racism than one week than I have my entire life in the deep south. Many times we were in stores, restaurants, parks, etc and we nearly represented the only black around and received lots of stares. We were at some waterpark and noticed the teen kid they had as a lifeguard kept jumping down the black kids throats about what was or wasnt "allowed" but he wasn't saying the same thing to the white or hispanic kids (There were a lot of hispanics in this part of PA, I'm guessing they were Puerto Ricans). We called him out on it.

Another time I was going to to Rochester, NY to visit family by car. We stopped at in a town called Dunkirk, NY and I went into a Wal-Mart and received lots of intimidating stares. The same thing happened stopping for food in Findlay, Ohio en route to Detroit once.

So no, I'm not buying that these places outside of the South are so friendly and accepting. Maybe in the cities, yeah, but not all over. At least down here blacks are pretty much everywhere. I dont have to worry about walking into some place being the only black guy.

No way in the world you're telling me those places colored in all that yellow are happy when a black guy moves next door.
Quote:
In 1986, Arizona Governor Bruce Babbitt, a Democrat, created a paid state MLK holiday in Arizona by executive order just before he left office, but in 1987, his Republican successor Evan Mecham, citing an attorney general's opinion that Babbitt's order was illegal, reversed Babbitt's decision days after taking office.[14] Later that year, Mecham proclaimed the third Sunday in January to be "Martin Luther King, Jr.-Civil Rights Day" in Arizona, albeit as an unpaid holiday.[15] In 1990, Arizona voters were given the opportunity to vote on giving state employees a paid MLK holiday. That same year, the National Football League threatened to move Super Bowl XXVII, which was planned for Arizona in 1993, if the MLK holiday was voted down.[16] In the November election, the voters were offered two King Day options: Proposition 301, which replaced Columbus Day on the list of paid state holidays, and Proposition 302, which merged Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays into one paid holiday to make room for MLK Day. Both measures failed to pass, with only 49% of voters approving Prop 302, the more popular of the two options; although some who voted "no" on 302 voted "yes" on Prop 301.[17] Consequently, the state lost the chance to host Super Bowl XXVII, which was subsequently held at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.[16] In a 1992 referendum, the voters, this time given only one option for a paid King Day, approved state-level recognition of the holiday
Fast forward to today and AZ is one of the states that passed the Religious Freedom Act.Far from accepting on a state level.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:54 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post

I have a family member from Newark, NJ who's job moved her to a small town near Lancaster, PA. She hosted the family reunion one year and I experienced more racism in one week than I have my entire life in the deep south. Many times we were in stores, restaurants, parks, etc and we nearly represented the only blacks around and received lots of stares. We were at some waterpark and noticed the teen kid they had as a lifeguard kept jumping down the black kids throats about what was or wasnt "allowed" but he wasn't saying the same thing to the white or hispanic kids (There were a lot of hispanics in this part of PA, I'm guessing they were Puerto Ricans). We called him out on it.

Another time I was going to Rochester, NY to visit family by car. We stopped in a town called Dunkirk, NY and I went into a Wal-Mart and received lots of intimidating stares. The same thing happened stopping for food in Findlay, Ohio en route to Detroit once on I-75.

That is interesting about Dunkirk, because it is about 20-25% Hispanic(largely Puerto Rican) and has a notable Black population to where they have a few Black churches. Adjacent Fredonia(it does have a SUNY campus) and some of the surrounding towns are less diverse, including the nearby Native American reservation. So, it may have been people from other towns.

What I think is the real case is that demographics in the South shield or protect Black people in a way that it doesn't make it appear that racism is blatant, outside of perhaps a few exceptions. So, in a way, for lack of a better term, Black people Down South MAY have more of an insular or sheltered existence in this regard. Perhaps protected is a better word. I say this as a person with a dad from a town this 97% Black in MS and a mom coming from a town that is about 66% Black in SC.

It isn't an accident that most Black Conscious movements were started outside of the South, because once you go outside of that neighborhood/section(or plural for both) in many places outside of the South or many Southern areas, the demography tends to be different. There are exceptions where there are concentrations that go on for a good portions of a metro, but the dynamics are different depending on the region and even metro/city.

I will say this though, anywhere there is a notable Black population, you will find enough of a range of people/scenes to where you may be able to find a niche. So, I also think it is important for people to do complete research, as you may be surprised by what you find.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-23-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 06:23 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
How is that different from most cities? Isn't the Atlanta metro black population percentage lower than the city population? Also, Houston area isn't really 4x the size of Atlanta. Most of the area is actually uninhabited swamp. It's why Houston MSA and UA is denser than Atlanta MSA and UA.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
How is that different from most cities? Isn't the Atlanta metro black population percentage lower than the city population? Also, Houston area isn't really 4x the size of Atlanta. Most of the area is actually uninhabited swamp. It's why Houston MSA and UA is denser than Atlanta MSA and UA.
That was not my point.He made the statement like that was a lot compared to Atlanta.Houston's city black percentage is lower than its metro.Atlanta city percentage is higher than its metro.No its not the same.
Sure the metro black population is smaller but if half of your population in the core is minority,then that population will influence the culture of the city more.Which is exactly the point of what many of Atlanta posters have said

Old 04-23-2015, 11:55 PM

408 posts, read 580,496 times
Quote:
Fast forward to today and AZ is one of the states that passed the Religious Freedom Act.Far from accepting on a state level.
It was approved in House and Vetoed by the Govenor 1 week after. We may not be seen as tolerant due to the people in the high rankings of the court in this state, but people are quite open minded out here. It's more diverse than what it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City