Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 10:55 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I don't think Harrisonburg ever had any Black leadership (I think you're thinking of Harrisburg, which is a city in PA). JMU is the major force in Harrisonburg. Only problem I see with the ongoing conquest of the city by JMU, as opposed to development that occurs in larger cities, say OSU in Columbus, OH, is that the former there is little to do outside of the university. People move there as students of the universities, and then once they graduate unless they procure employment in that city they often move.

Now a larger city like Madison may actually be able to keep talent, because there are other things going on in that town, but a city of like 50,000, which is what Harrisonburg is, or maybe some city like Morgantown, are going to face difficulties in that respect.
I meant Harrisonburg and I was referring to Ithaca in terms of the leadership aspect. Harrisburg PA is actually about 55% Black and definitely has Black people in leadership positions.

Good point about some cities with a college are better equipped in terms of retaining or attracting college graduates. It could be a matter of size, but location may be a factor in regards of a smaller community too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 11:11 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I meant Harrisonburg and I was referring to Ithaca in terms of the leadership aspect.

Good point about some cities with a college are better equipped in terms of retaining or attracting college graduates. It could be a matter of size, but location may be a factor in regards of a smaller community too.
It helps if that smaller community is closer to a larger metro area. That is one of the advantages of Virginia, at least the Southwestern and Central parts of the state (proximity to DC). Part of Virginia I'm in not so much, but it is accessible through Amtrak.

That may be the advantage of Ithaca as well. Not so much proximity to NYC but to Syracuse.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
It helps if that smaller community is closer to a larger metro area. That is one of the advantages of Virginia, at least the Southwestern and Central parts of the state (proximity to DC). Part of Virginia I'm in not so much, but it is accessible through Amtrak.

That may be the advantage of Ithaca as well. Not so much proximity to NYC but to Syracuse.
Ithaca has seen quite a bit of development and has a few colleges. There are some other smaller cities nearby and Rochester is a couple of hours too. Here are examples of leadership there: ICSD :: Board Members

ICSD :: Luvelle Brown's Biography

Mayor's Office | Ithaca, NY - Official Website

Ithaca, NY - Official Website

King breakfast is a rousing call to action in Ithaca
Ithaca, NY - Official Website

Workforce Diversity and Inclusion - Chair | www.tompkinscountyny.gov

Speakeasy: Meet GIAC

Cornell University - 2014-15 Men's Basketball Coaching Staff

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-26-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 08:08 PM

Any other cities or areas that haven't been mentioned?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 PM

183 posts, read 249,502 times
Orlando hasn't been mentioned much. The black population there has been growing rather rapidly for awhile.

Last edited by Poncey; 04-27-2015 at 09:54 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Orlando hasn't been mentioned much. The black population there has growing rather rapidly for awhile.
True. There are still more Latinos than Blacks. But that is also the case in Harrisonburg, the city I mentioned.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:59 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
That's how I felt about Madison. The few Blacks I did run into were friendly and while their Black community was small, it was a very different experience than I was accustomed to, and not in a bad way.
I think I may be looking for something like this.

What cities are out there that have a noticeable black population that's middle class or just "non-ghetto" WITHOUT also having a plethora of "the hood" around as well? It doesnt even have to be a huge black population, just enough to where I wouldnt feel like a needle in a haystack.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post

What cities are out there that have a noticeable black population that's middle class or just "non-ghetto" WITHOUT also having a plethora of "the hood" around as well? It doesnt even have to be a huge black population, just enough to where I wouldnt feel like a needle in a haystack.
Rural communities in areas like South Carolina.

That doesn't really exist, in my experience. Now there are prominent, prosperous Black communities everywhere but there is usually a ghetto around somewhere.

Who do you think works in the service industry in those areas? Poor and working class people of all races.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:24 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:

There are none.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:45 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,317 times
Quote:

VA Beach, VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City