Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best quality of life
San Diego 15 60.00%
Portland 4 16.00%
Florida 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 16,656 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering moving to a new city. I currently live in Orlando, What I love most about this area is the warmth, ease to get places (most of the time), rent, parking, etc are cheap compared to other popular destinations. I would rather be hot than cold, and its great to be able to wear sandals and shorts most of the year. I also love palm trees, green scenery, and rain storms.

Being in Orlando I get to meet and talk with people from all over and I hear so often how great southern california is, and how much nicer than florida it is. Ive also done research and found that Portland Oregon looks very nice minus the cold weather.

But are these places really a better quality of life?

Sure San Diego has a wonderful environment with Balboa Park, Mission Beach, Horton and other shopping centers, la jolla, and more. But im not sure any of thats worth it when it never rains and everything is brown dry and it cost you everything you have to live there. Im also under the impression that everywhere you go theres horrible long lines of people or cars. Here in Florida most of the time you just walk right up and get whatever it is your there for. I dont desire waiting in lines behind 30 people.
And I would really love Portland, but I really love my shorts and sandals, and I dont know that I could bare nine months of the year of 40 degree or worst weather.

So as boring as the topography may be in Florida, as bad of public transit is, or lack of nice downtowns and pedestrian trails, I still really like that I can always dress warm and live a easy life without hassle. And its bonus to have our nice palm trees and soothing rain storms.
Ive heard great things about portland and san diego, but im not so sure I would enjoy them more than florida with their cold weather, or lack of rain, high cost, and congestion.

I havent actually been to the west coast, so from people who have, are my assumptions accurate?
which place do you think is more desirable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 PM

34 posts, read 62,723 times
San Diego and Portland are both nice to live in

Old 04-29-2015, 08:48 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
I do love Portland but it's not too bad here.

[vimeo]113168936[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/113168936

Old 04-29-2015, 09:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I am not quite sure what your assumptions regarding San Diego an Portland are. You can't really know a place unless you have actually been there but what do you think they have to offer in relation to what you are looking for? What are the most important features of a place to live like your budget, job needs etc.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kycats View Post
Hello,

I am considering moving to a new city. I currently live in Orlando, What I love most about this area is the warmth, ease to get places (most of the time), rent, parking, etc are cheap compared to other popular destinations. I would rather be hot than cold, and its great to be able to wear sandals and shorts most of the year. I also love palm trees, green scenery, and rain storms.

Being in Orlando I get to meet and talk with people from all over and I hear so often how great southern california is, and how much nicer than florida it is. Ive also done research and found that Portland Oregon looks very nice minus the cold weather.

But are these places really a better quality of life?

Sure San Diego has a wonderful environment with Balboa Park, Mission Beach, Horton and other shopping centers, la jolla, and more. But im not sure any of thats worth it when it never rains and everything is brown dry and it cost you everything you have to live there. Im also under the impression that everywhere you go theres horrible long lines of people or cars. Here in Florida most of the time you just walk right up and get whatever it is your there for. I dont desire waiting in lines behind 30 people.
And I would really love Portland, but I really love my shorts and sandals, and I dont know that I could bare nine months of the year of 40 degree or worst weather.

So as boring as the topography may be in Florida, as bad of public transit is, or lack of nice downtowns and pedestrian trails, I still really like that I can always dress warm and live a easy life without hassle. And its bonus to have our nice palm trees and soothing rain storms.
Ive heard great things about portland and san diego, but im not so sure I would enjoy them more than florida with their cold weather, or lack of rain, high cost, and congestion.

I havent actually been to the west coast, so from people who have, are my assumptions accurate?
which place do you think is more desirable?
I lived in SD for 14 years, and never dealt with long lines of people, and cars. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. The traffic can be bad during rush hour times, but no worse than other cities I've lived in, and outside rush hour the freeways, and other roads run smoothly.

The lack of rain can be a real bummer for some people, myself included. In 14 years there was only 1 thunderstorm, and even regular rain showers were infrequent. I love the rain, and missed it. It's funny, I would get so excited about the rain, but everyone around me would be whining about the horrible weather. SD doesn't look brown,or dried out though. They do a lot of watering which keeps it looking green in many places. The weather is warm and sunny year round, shorts and sandals can be worn every day, but it does get very boring to have the same weather almost every day.

Cost of living is a huge issue, mostly it's cost of housing, rents are high and buying is difficult, if not impossible for most, unless you go way out from the city, and coast. I wouldn't recommend SD to anyone who doesn't want to spend a huge percentage of their income on housing, and not get much for it. One has to really LOVE the city, and coast to pay those rents/mortgages.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
ummm, OP, i dont think you're correct regarding San Diego and having long lines everywhere and cars, etc.

Since moving to Miami I can say everywhere I go in Miami has long lines and tons of traffic. I didnt experience this out in San Diego. I can confidently say that the quality of life is far better in San Diego than almost anywhere in FL.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:17 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Lived in the region of San Diego too. The traffic on the 15 is now what 12 lanes or more. Housing is thru the roof and building along the south bay is crazy. People always think San Diego is real nice all over. Its nice if you live near the ocean.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:02 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
As much as I hate Florida, I voted for it because normal people can actually afford to live there. In San Diego and Portland being a low wage earner is a miserable experience of poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City