U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,726,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
OMG It is something PERSONAL . THANKS for acknowledging that to the thread???? Some could say NYC having like 4 to 5 million more people in their metro area? They actually still have more ex- patriots? Just to Florida and California alone then Chicago......
Chicagoans settle on living in the Desert Southwest places like Nevada and Arizona in large numbers. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans settle on the Intermountain West cities of Salt Lake City and especially Denver in large numbers. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans flood the west coast of Florida (especially Southwest Florida and Tampa Bay Area) in massive numbers. New Yorkers do not. Black Chicagoans make Atlanta their number one destination among major cities in the country. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans are the largest group of people from outside of Texas to settle in the Metroplex, with the two cities sharing 95% of the same industries and serving identical logistical roles, it makes job transfers and relocation nearly seamless. New Yorkers do not. You can run this all across the country; Pacific Northwest, Southeast, California, where ever.

What part of this is hard to follow? When you have people moving everywhere, you have more of American culture linked back to where these people came from just by default. It doesn't take a genius to say that there's a whole lot of Bears fans, Bulls fans, and Cubs fans in every city because every city features a massive population of expat Chicagoans. It is literally set and standard everywhere.

Therefore, it is conceivable that here inside of America itself, Chicago finishes as a place with a strong reputation. Since Chicago culture is dispersed everywhere, along with Chicago people, it finishes well.

When you look at countries outside of the United States though, Chicago never bests Los Angeles and 75% of the time cannot best San Francisco either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 07:24 PM

5,476 posts, read 5,788,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Chicagoans settle on living in the Desert Southwest places like Nevada and Arizona in large numbers. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans settle on the Intermountain West cities of Salt Lake City and especially Denver in large numbers. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans flood the west coast of Florida (especially Southwest Florida and Tampa Bay Area) in massive numbers. New Yorkers do not. Black Chicagoans make Atlanta their number one destination among major cities in the country. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans are the largest group of people from outside of Texas to settle in the Metroplex, with the two cities sharing 95% of the same industries and serving identical logistical roles, it makes job transfers and relocation nearly seamless. New Yorkers do not. You can run this all across the country; Pacific Northwest, Southeast, California, where ever.

What part of this is hard to follow? When you have people moving everywhere, you have more of American culture linked back to where these people came from just by default. It doesn't take a genius to say that there's a whole lot of Bears fans, Bulls fans, and Cubs fans in every city because every city features a massive population of expat Chicagoans. It is literally set and standard everywhere.

Therefore, it is conceivable that here inside of America itself, Chicago finishes as a place with a strong reputation. Since Chicago culture is dispersed everywhere, along with Chicago people, it finishes well.

When you look at countries outside of the United States though, Chicago never bests Los Angeles and 75% of the time cannot best San Francisco either.
Oh please. Miami is oversaturated with New Yorkers. So are a ton of southeastern cities. Let's not pretend Chicago is the only city people are leaving for warmer weather.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:31 PM

11,904 posts, read 9,637,243 times
^ And I think the Yankees and possibly now the Nets have fans everywhere as well. DEFINITELY the Yankees, more recognition than any other team. Forget Americans, you'll see Europeans and Asians walking around with Yankee hats in their countries too.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Oh please. Miami is oversaturated with New Yorkers. So are a ton of southeastern cities. Let's not pretend Chicago is the only city people are leaving for warmer weather.
Chicagoans actually reverse migrate into some of the old Rustbelt cities too, places like Saint Louis, Kansas City, Detroit, Milwaukee, and none of these places are on the average New Yorkers' radar as a relocation option, at least not in massive numbers to say the least. Which is why they do not have a massive population of expat New Yorkers. Most New Yorkers, according to data, seem to never situate themselves outside of certain parts of California, Florida, and the Northeast. Chicagoans, they go all over the map without any one particular area standing out.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. Americans that responded view New York as their number one. Someone just wanted to make a big deal out of it because the only place Chicago bests Los Angeles and San Francisco among the 20 surveyed countries was back home in America. I threw a theory out there, as good as any. No one really knows why Americans view Chicago more favorably than other people in the world do, but my theory is that it's because they are more familiar with it (with the large expat Chicagoan community everywhere and all).

Old 03-16-2015, 07:40 PM

11,904 posts, read 9,637,243 times
Quote:
Chicagoans actually reverse migrate into some of the old Rustbelt cities too, places like Saint Louis, Kansas City, Detroit, Milwaukee, and none of these places are on the average New Yorkers' radar as a relocation option, at least not in massive numbers to say the least. Which is why they do not have a massive population of expat New Yorkers. Most New Yorkers, according to data, seem to never situate themselves outside of certain parts of California, Florida, and the Northeast. Chicagoans, they go all over the map without any one particular area standing out.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. Americans that responded view New York as their number one. Someone just wanted to make a big deal out of it because the only place Chicago bests Los Angeles and San Francisco among the 20 surveyed countries was back home in America. I threw a theory out there, as good as any. No one really knows why Americans view Chicago more favorably than other people in the world do, but my theory is that it's because they are more familiar with it (with the large expat Chicagoan community everywhere and all).
Why are so many Chicagoans moving out of Chicago? Is that something the city or residents should be proud of?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Why are so many Chicagoans moving out of Chicago? Is that something the city or residents should be proud of?
I don't know.

Probably work related and climate related. Technically I fit into this camp too. When we moved from Singapore, we settled on Chicago the first few years, meaning it's my American hometown. We left for work reasons and I was still a kid.

Most families I've seen out of Chicago elsewhere are where they are because they relocated for work reasons. A lot of people go west to San Francisco to work in the industry because they've outgrown Chicago's tech scene, the opportunities in Chicago are less optimistic or less abundant, so on. A lot of people go east to New York for the same reason. People have been leaving Chicago for Los Angeles for generations now, it's a well documented Highway 66 phenomena. In the early 20th century it was because the government couldn't enforce the Hayes Code or patents as stringently as back east, nowadays it's because Los Angeles is the center for creativity and the creative kinds cannot do in Chicago what they can do in Los Angeles.

You'll see people from Chicago in places like Dallas, Denver, Seattle for work reasons. The market was weak back home, so they left for work elsewhere. They leave for Phoenix or Tampa for climate reasons, the older you get, the less reason you have to stick around and endure a Midwestern winter.

I don't know. It varies, I guess. I just notice in actual life and in data that Chicagoans are more dispersed than people from most other cities. I also notice that it translates into a bit of culture everywhere they go, people are more aware of what a "Chicago" is when their neighbors are from there.

I don't know. I'm not surprised it finished third among respondents in America though. I never figured Chicago would have difficulty in America itself.

It is not something to be proud of or not, I don't know, it is just a reality and a reality that has shaped Chicago for several generations now.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:56 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,904,064 times
Red John, please share your source for your statements here. My brother has a Master's Degree in Computer Science, and lives in Chicago. I thought I just read that Naperville (suburb), is one of the best cities for a tech career. I'll have to locate that source, as I just read it yesterday.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Red John, please share your source for your statements here. My brother has a Master's Degree in Computer Science, and lives in Chicago. I thought I just read that Naperville (suburb), is one of the best cities for a tech career. I'll have to locate that source, as I just read it yesterday.
I don't think I have to show proof of as to why Silicon Valley is a better tech sector than Chicago per se, that is universally understood. The San Francisco Bay Area is the END DESTINATION for top tier tech talent in the world. The San Francisco Bay Area definitely is a better recipient of Chicagoans though than the other way around and a lot of that definitely has to do with the robust job market and the more enhanced tech sector there.

Here, you can track migration data here; SOI Tax Stats - County-to-County Migration Data Files

Here's an interactive map. You can clearly see the red lines depicting the loss of population from Chicago to Silicon Valley: Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes

I'm not saying Chicago is a bad city by the way, it's not. I'm just saying it is a pretty well dispersed city and in the context to how it's drawn an image of itself in America, that may not be such a bad thing either. I suppose.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:11 PM

Here's a map. I should have just posted this first, instead of trying to explain in words what a visual does a far superior job of. Red out-going lines to literally everywhere, every major city in the United States of America.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ic121147-a.bmp

Old 03-16-2015, 08:12 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,904,064 times
Quote:
I don't think I have to show proof of as to why Silicon Valley is a better tech sector than Chicago per se, that is universally understood. The San Francisco Bay Area is the END DESTINATION for top tier tech talent in the world. The San Francisco Bay Area definitely is a better recipient of Chicagoans though than the other way around and a lot of that definitely has to do with the robust job market and the more enhanced tech sector there.

Here, you can track migration data here; SOI Tax Stats - County-to-County Migration Data Files

Here's an interactive map. You can clearly see the red lines depicting the loss of population from Chicago to Silicon Valley: Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes

I'm not saying Chicago is a bad city by the way, it's not. I'm just saying it is a pretty well dispersed city and in the context to how it's drawn an image of itself in America, that may not be such a bad thing either. I suppose.
I'm aware of Silicon Valley, believe it or not. However, other cities, lose people to the Silicon Valley too, it's not exclusive to Chicago. You do like to kind of focus on Chicago, so I'm just saying.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or