Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:15 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I'm aware of Silicon Valley, believe it or not. However, other cities, lose people to the Silicon Valley too, it's not exclusive to Chicago. You do like to kind of focus on Chicago, so I'm just saying.....
Yeah absolutely. You're right that every city pretty much loses people to Silicon Valley. For about a half decade now, the San Francisco Bay Area has been on a tear. A legitimate boomtown in every sense of the word and it's not just Chicago sending people out there.

It's just that some of those cities also don't face negative net migration overall though. Chicago does, and while it's not the only place that does, it is the most dispersed of them all presumably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 08:47 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Chicagoans settle on living in the Desert Southwest places like Nevada and Arizona in large numbers. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans settle on the Intermountain West cities of Salt Lake City and especially Denver in large numbers. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans flood the west coast of Florida (especially Southwest Florida and Tampa Bay Area) in massive numbers. New Yorkers do not. Black Chicagoans make Atlanta their number one destination among major cities in the country. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans are the largest group of people from outside of Texas to settle in the Metroplex, with the two cities sharing 95% of the same industries and serving identical logistical roles, it makes job transfers and relocation nearly seamless. New Yorkers do not. You can run this all across the country; Pacific Northwest, Southeast, California, where ever.

What part of this is hard to follow? When you have people moving everywhere, you have more of American culture linked back to where these people came from just by default. It doesn't take a genius to say that there's a whole lot of Bears fans, Bulls fans, and Cubs fans in every city because every city features a massive population of expat Chicagoans. It is literally set and standard everywhere.

Therefore, it is conceivable that here inside of America itself, Chicago finishes as a place with a strong reputation. Since Chicago culture is dispersed everywhere, along with Chicago people, it finishes well.

When you look at countries outside of the United States though, Chicago never bests Los Angeles and 75% of the time cannot best San Francisco either.
I guess New Yorkers stay put? Even in retirement and don't head to the Sunbelt for more then a visit?

Red John?? You seem make this a personal Gripe against Chicago? in numerous threads? It is again? A personal issue . APPARENTLY YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, IF EX-Chicagoans have influence LOL .
I merely noted Chicago on the US recognition one .. had NYC 1st, Chicago 2nd and LA 3rd. YOU DIDN'T LIKE THAT???

Then YOU again gave a Chart on "The Worlds Top Cities according to Global Citizens" I noticed NYC... 1st understood? LA..... 9th and Washington DC.... 17th our nations Capitol. But Chicago still made the 28th out of 50 position. The only other US city to make it. San Francisco did not. YOU DIDN'T LIKE THAT?
Quote:
Easy.
Chicago is one of the most culturally intertwined cities with America. Oh, and it also has one of the biggest influences on America because just about EVERY MAJOR CITY in the United States is overrun with expat Chicagoans in such huge numbers.
Chicagoans are the most dispersed people of any city in the country, the United States census should just count Chicagoans as an ethnic group, for kicks.
Not that the post was terrible? But a anti-biased reasoning? As for ex-patriots from Chicago? I've seen many who post negative too? Like those who remember other decades of living there? Or something else?

I NEVER MEANT MY GIVING CHICAGO RECOGNITION AS if this is some.... Chicago vs LA or SF or Miami thread? But we did tangle in them threads that were...too? Similar knock down postings by you for Chicago? This was the same here..

I DON'T MIND YOU MAKING CHICAGO APPARENTLY, MORE INFLUENCIAL IN THE US THEN NYC OR LA OR SF????? BECAUSE OF CHICAGOANS ....COLONIZING THE NATION But seems you are? DON'T BE JEALOUS..... ((((TO GO ON AND ON TO CLAIM ITS NOT TRUE CHICAGO CAN WIN ON MERIT???))))

JUST TODAY IN ANOTHER THEAD COMMENTING IN AGREEMENT TO ...NOLA101 WHO ALSO IS NEGATIVE TO CHICAGO IN MANY THREADS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Illinois has the worst population loss in the nation. Even laggard states like Michigan and Ohio are doing much better.

And most of Illinois is in Chicago metro, so it's likely that Chicago is stagnant or slightly declining. I would wager Metro Detroit will show more growth than Metro Chicago in the next metro area estimates. All that said, I still think it has a big enough gap on Toronto that it would take decades of such trends to really call it even.
YOUR REPLY TO NOLA101⤵
Quote:
Yeah that's my feeling too. Greater Detroit showed that it stabilized a year ago and by all early indications, it appears to have grown from that stabilization too. Greater Chicago on the other-hand has embraced mediocrity fully, when it comes to growth.

This will be the first decade since 1890 that an area not named Greater Chicago finishes as the fastest grower in the Midwest by raw population growth (the Twin Cities Area). That's if things stay like they are right now.

Last edited by steeps; 03-16-2015 at 09:24 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ And I think the Yankees and possibly now the Nets have fans everywhere as well. DEFINITELY the Yankees, more recognition than any other team. Forget Americans, you'll see Europeans and Asians walking around with Yankee hats in their countries too.
i think cowboys and lakers are more popular than yankees but i see your point ?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think cowboys and lakers are more popular than yankees but i see your point ?
Hmm I'm really not sure about that. Lakers pretty popular but Cowboys, especially outside the US? Nah.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 AM

451 posts, read 465,099 times
Quote:
Chicagoans settle on living in the Desert Southwest places like Nevada and Arizona in large numbers. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans settle on the Intermountain West cities of Salt Lake City and especially Denver in large numbers. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans flood the west coast of Florida (especially Southwest Florida and Tampa Bay Area) in massive numbers. New Yorkers do not. Black Chicagoans make Atlanta their number one destination among major cities in the country. New Yorkers do not. Chicagoans are the largest group of people from outside of Texas to settle in the Metroplex, with the two cities sharing 95% of the same industries and serving identical logistical roles, it makes job transfers and relocation nearly seamless. New Yorkers do not. You can run this all across the country; Pacific Northwest, Southeast, California, where ever.

What part of this is hard to follow? When you have people moving everywhere, you have more of American culture linked back to where these people came from just by default. It doesn't take a genius to say that there's a whole lot of Bears fans, Bulls fans, and Cubs fans in every city because every city features a massive population of expat Chicagoans. It is literally set and standard everywhere.

Therefore, it is conceivable that here inside of America itself, Chicago finishes as a place with a strong reputation. Since Chicago culture is dispersed everywhere, along with Chicago people, it finishes well.

When you look at countries outside of the United States though, Chicago never bests Los Angeles and 75% of the time cannot best San Francisco either.
Your post cherry picks Chicago and ignore the other major cities. Of course, there will be many people to meet who were once one of the millions who lived in one of the biggest US cities. There are also lots of expats from New York and Los Angeles/CA in many other parts of the country. I met lots of expat NYers when I lived in California, there are lots of them in Chicago as well, and I know there are many ex-NYers in FL as well. Also met more than a few ex-CA people in Chi, there are Chi bars with dedicated LA/SF sports game nights, and of course you will meet LOTS of LA/CA expats in TX, AZ, NM, NV, OR, WA, ID, UT, etc. The reality is, by sheer mathematical odds, for whatever reasons, many people move to/move from major cities like Chi, NY, LA at some point during their lives. I have lots of LA friends who now live all over elsewhere, from Tennessee to Korea, and likewise with my Illinois friends.

Last edited by blacknwhiterose; 03-17-2015 at 08:40 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 11:08 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
As a boost to my favorite city. Chicago still ranked before LA in the US.... seen as "The Second City" STILL. Despite negative stereotyping, it always has aspects of to overcome? Visitors and Tourist realize differently.
But the U.S. is one of the few countries where Chicago ranks ahead of Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:20 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Germany, Spain and Sweden rank NYC 1st in liveliness. France, Italy, South Africa, South Korea and the UK rank it 2nd.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ And I think the Yankees and possibly now the Nets have fans everywhere as well. DEFINITELY the Yankees, more recognition than any other team. Forget Americans, you'll see Europeans and Asians walking around with Yankee hats in their countries too.
A lot of those people, especially the Europeans, are not wearing the hat because of the Yankees. They're wearing it because it says NY on it. NYC is obviously very popular all over the world.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
A lot of those people, especially the Europeans, are not wearing the hat because of the Yankees. They're wearing it because it says NY on it. NYC is obviously very popular all over the world.
That's my point

But also because the Yankees are famous and recognizable. They easily could wear a Mets (almost the same logo), Giants, Jets, or Rangers hat but they choose Yankees.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:44 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But the U.S. is one of the few countries where Chicago ranks ahead of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
No one is demeaning or lessening your NYC's merit or stature with London in the world. I defended CHICAGO'S merit demeaned and a claim it was Chicago still #2 in the survey, was Because ... "Red John" claimed Chicagoans merely left the city for all over the US and that is why? Not by its merit or true statue? But still only NYC, Washington DC. San Francisco and Chicago, were the only American cities making the List? Though some were disqualified from the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City