U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:49 PM

1,287 posts, read 990,431 times

Advertisements

I live in Dallas. IT industry is on fire is up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 PM

413 posts, read 979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARN160 View Post
@sonic0boom & @mkwensky - I am a BSA and my wife is a Software QA Engineer.
Lot of jobs for Business system Analysts. I'm sure QA engineers will do well also but comparatively less.

It would be good to know if you're a BSA or want to become as BSA for ERP (which one?), .Net, Sharepoint, some legacy system etc. Plenty of jobs I guess for BSA even in the medical industry depending on your skills/interests.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:33 AM

769 posts, read 448,841 times
Quote:
@sonic0boom & @mkwensky - I am a BSA and my wife is a Software QA Engineer.
These are midsize to large company jobs. Downtown should have the largest concentration of these. If oil price climbs back up then the energy corridor and the Woodlands become good places to look. The job market here has been stressed by recent oil company layoffs so make sure you find a job first.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:52 PM

86 posts, read 73,425 times
Dallas is a way better for IT jobs than Houston is. Having said that, there are still some consulting companies that employ IT people. My roommate works for one such company downtown.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:09 PM

14,809 posts, read 18,811,177 times
Anybody with information about this, let me know
I have only one brother that lives in Venezuela and is an IT manager and I'm trying to get him to move here.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:58 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,599,677 times
Seems to be another industry Houston needs to attract to diversify the economy, especially to allay fears of an O&G collapse.

Too bad Dell founded his company while at college in Austin instead of at home in Houston. HP leaving the 249 area didn't help either.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:34 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 10 days ago)

4,648 posts, read 4,484,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Seems to be another industry Houston needs to attract to diversify the economy, especially to allay fears of an O&G collapse.

Too bad Dell founded his company while at college in Austin instead of at home in Houston. HP leaving the 249 area didn't help either.
Have they totally shut that campus down ? I thought they were going to spin it off into its own company?

P.S. I wonder why this thread was moved to the city vs city forum ?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:06 AM

2,736 posts, read 1,213,856 times
Quote:
I have been doing a lot of research on top cities to raise a family which have no harsh winters and taxes like Chicago where I live currently. Several suburbs of Houston such as the Woodlands, Katy, Sugar Land etc. are constantly mentioned in the media as the places to raise a family due to its exemplary school systems, affordability and safe neighborhoods. But none of the researches shows any career opportunities for Information technology professionals. Even a simple indeed search doesn’t fetch any considerable amount of active IT jobs. Wondering if any Houstonians who are in the Information Technology space share some insights on the following;

Overall Market Landscape of Houston IT job market
Where majority of the IT jobs are located (like Alpharetta in Atlanta or Round Rock in Austin)?
How easy it is to switch jobs for career growth?
What % of IT jobs is dependent on energy/oil companies?
Check Dice.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:09 AM

955 posts, read 1,757,506 times
There aren't many startup IT companies in Houston, but there are plenty of IT jobs in Houston. Oil/gas, medical field, banks, law offices, construction companies, retail companies, the City of Houston. ect...

I work for a bank and we have openings for:
Application Support Engineer
Business Analyst
Web Application Engineer
Java Developer
Middleware Engineer
SAP Business Intelligence Developer
Disaster Recovery Consultant
Project Manager
Java EE Developer
Information Security Analyst
Senior Applications Developer
Network Security Engineer
IT Enterprise Voice and Video Operations Manager
VMware Engineer

Old 03-18-2015, 11:52 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,599,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Have they totally shut that campus down ?
It's now the Lone Star (community) College--University Park campus. HP seems to have kept the back building with the entrance on Jones Road according to Google Maps. That is a very small building compared to the others.

A couple of buildings were demolished soon after the college opened. The college only uses a few floors in the middle of one (the parking garage sky bridge being the front entrance). I believe the rest of the office spaces are leased out.

But yes, compared to Austin and Dallas (especially Silicon Valley), the IT industry is nonexistent here outside of support services, mostly for O&G and Energy Finance. That should hopefully change soon though! Hopefully the Chamber of Commerce and the City/County start attracting IT firms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or