U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best nightlife district/neighborhood on the West Coast
Capitol Hill (Seattle) 35 26.72%
Ballard (Seattle) 9 6.87%
Pearl District/Old Town (Portland) 4 3.05%
Inner Southeast (Portland) 1 0.76%
Mission District (San Francisco) 27 20.61%
North Beach (San Francisco) 13 9.92%
West Hollywood/Hollywood (Los Angeles) 66 50.38%
Downtown LA (Los Angeles) 13 9.92%
Gaslamp District (San Diego) 26 19.85%
North Park (San Diego) 4 3.05%
Other (Please list) 8 6.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2016, 10:18 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,518,286 times

Advertisements

LOL North Park does not deserve to be on this poll.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 10:36 AM

559 posts, read 512,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThatTime View Post
Hmmm, wow. Seattle rocks!
Lol. But I'm not saying Seattle has the best nightlife on the West Coast.
That title probably belongs to SF or LA as a whole.

But individual districts.... that goes to Seattle or SD.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:26 PM

429 posts, read 278,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Agreed, it's Gaslamp or Cap Hill.
I'd throw the Mission in there as well.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:30 PM

429 posts, read 278,547 times
Also, do people really think Portland's nightlife is that bad? Or is it just that it doesn't have any particular district that jumps out as being great? Overall, I've always been very impressed with the sheer quantity of bars in Portland (they seem to be everywhere - almost like Milwaukee or something), although there isn't a ton of variety and no specific districts that really jump out.

I do know that Portland has more bars per capita than any of these other cities (although SF is very close), for what it's worth.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:36 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,729,285 times
Pearl District in Portland is excellent but I truly loved Capitol Hill in Seattle. I was recommended a bar called "Canon" by someone in Seattle. It was a wonderful experience because the options were staggering and the quality was excellent.

I've also spent time in Gaslamp District in San Diego too. I stayed in the district the second to last time I was in San Diego, back in December 2014. It is a large district, very walkable, but it shuts down really early, from the feel of it.

These are all my own pictures from my previous trips to these cities.

This is a picture that I took of Canon in Capitol Hill in Seattle back in November 2015:

Some night shots of Gaslamp District adjacent to Downtown San Diego in December 2014:

Pearl District adjacent to Downtown Portland in December 2014:

In that December 2014/January2015 trip, we also went to Seattle too. So I saw the nightlife centers of San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, Portland, Sacramento, Vancouver, and Seattle all on the same trip. In addition to Las Vegas as well, even though that isn't "West Coast". Literally an excellent litmus test to compare them, seeing them all back-to-back-to-back.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:46 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,729,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
Also, do people really think Portland's nightlife is that bad?
Portland's nightlife is great. Some nights it runs till 2:30 A.M. to 3 A.M. but the best aspect to Portland is that other than renting or buying a house or apartment, the city is filthy cheap.

Especially nightlife. In the Pearl District we went to 4 different bars on the same night where a lot of the drinks we ordered were like $2 each and we didn't go to the bars looking for a discount, it just happened to be that way. When we were done drinking we asked for the bill and when they gave us all our tabs, we all looked at the bill like "WTF" why is this city so cheap for everything? Anyhow that works as an advantage, as do the later hours, the walkability, and public transit options too.

It's a great city. I really like it. Wait, I love it. Everything I bought in that city was radically cheap without sacrificing quality in any regard, especially compared to the other cities in the Western United States. When you see all these cities back-to-back, you'll easily notice the things that make each one stick out. Portland is an excellent city for drinking, excellent in every way in that regard.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:39 PM

559 posts, read 512,810 times
Portland has two issues:

It's nightlife is too spread out (even though it's a small, compact city) - everything is at that awkward "should I get an Uber or should I walk" distance.

And secondly, only a few very spots get crowded, and if you are not a local or with a local, you will get no help from the internet on which spots those are.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:03 PM

2,791 posts, read 1,474,478 times
Downtown San Jose has good nightlife in par with any major cities. Think SoFA or San Pedro Sq.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:39 PM

933 posts, read 1,646,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Downtown San Jose has good nightlife in par with any major cities. Think SoFA or San Pedro Sq.
lol

Old 06-17-2016, 09:31 PM

3,612 posts, read 2,032,943 times
The thread is focusing on central cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or