Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 09:31 PM

81 posts, read 81,479 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have researched other cities in Texas (thanks for the advice in my previous post) and I have narrowed it down to either living in Austin or Denver. I forgot to mention in my other post that I am looking (as a hobby and to meet new people) to get into acting and/or comedy. I realize LA and NYC are where you go if you're gung-ho on making a career in entertainment, but for now I want to do it as a hobby. I know Denver has comedy clubs, but is there more of an opportunity for open mics and newbie acting in Austin, compared to Denver, CO?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 10:43 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
I'm going to guess Austin offers more of this than Denver. Unfortunately, I have no real data on which to base this opinion, it's just an educated guess.

We had several friends in Austin that were involved in theatre there. More than one of them have since gone out to L.A. Austin has a major component of its economy in film and the arts. It's supportive overall of the "performing" crafts in general, possibly stemming from the fact that the University of Texas RTF program is one of the best in the country.

Denver is a much larger metro area, of course, so it would stand to reason that there are ample opportunities as well. I think there is a decent scene for artists, but not sure about acting/comedy etc. Really, Denver is still a place that is primarily driven by the Energy, Tech, Biomedical industry and some others, though. I think it does have a decent live music scene, but obviously, Austin is just about tops in that.

I feel more confident in what I said above about Austin (where I have never lived, but spent time in) than I do about Denver (which is my home right now), so take what I said with a grain of salt.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Ok then, I will take your advice into consideration for my next move. It appears both cities have similar costs of living, so I will definitely do more research on Austin. I'd love to experience a new place and get out of my comfort zone :-)

Old 03-18-2015, 01:39 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,676 times
Denver is a much more expensive city than austin these days! Might wanna check housing prices lately.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:45 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Denver is a much more expensive city than austin these days! Might wanna check housing prices lately.
Median housing price (single family home), Quarter 4, 2014:
- Austin MSA: $243,800 (+10.7% growth in the last year)
- Denver MSA: $314,800 (+12.7% growth in the last year)

http://www.realtor.org/sites/default...2015-02-11.pdf

Both have really HOT housing markets right now. Double digit price appreciation, that's phenomenal.

Median housing price (condominium), Quarter 4, 2014:
- Austin MSA: $225,600 (+8.4% growth in the last year)
- Denver MSA: Data unavailable.

http://www.realtor.org/sites/default...2015-02-11.pdf

Would imagine it stays like this for renters too, both probably have immense price appreciation. These two places are boomtowns by every sense of the imagination.

If you're serious about either of these cities then get to it RIGHT NOW. Prices are obviously not standing pat.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:37 PM

Thanks Milehi and Red John!

I believe it that prices keep shooting up. I will without a doubt be moving at the end of March to a new city. My parents live in Littleton (too old to move back in with them, lol) so if I did stay in Denver it'd be for them. BUT, I'd want to live in Denver and not a suburb since I'm a single guy who is not planning on buying a house anytime soon. Thus, I realize I will be making a decision soon, so it's all good, things will work out.

When I was a kid (back in the 1800's ;-) ), just kidding, back in the 90's, I remember when there wasn't a park meadows mall, Highlands Ranch and Lone Tree and the like were eventually non-existent, driving through C 470 was mostly hills, and so on. Not saying change is bad, but you all are definitely right, the Denver metro area has boomed a lot in recent times! (Maybe those of you who lived in Denver in the 70's saw even more changes!)

On a funny side note, I remember people's expressions when I lived in Denver after I told them I was a Colorado native, their faces would drop and they'd say "You're a what?!?" Lol

Old 03-18-2015, 11:02 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
If you were asking about the music scene I'd give it to Austin, but for acting and comedy it's probably a push.

Denver's a bit more expensive (7-8%) but it's worth it. Austin's a nice town but I'd never wanna live there. Way too freaking hot, unbearable traffic, and sorry but the Hill Country is meh compared to the Rockies.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you were asking about the music scene I'd give it to Austin, but for acting and comedy it's probably a push.

Denver's a bit more expensive (7-8%) but it's worth it. Austin's a nice town but I'd never wanna live there. Way too freaking hot, unbearable traffic, and sorry but the Hill Country is meh compared to the Rockies.
I am moving back to Houston this summer and the Hill country has always been a magical place for us. It still will be, but I am sure after living in Denver for 3 years (and having a place in the mountains) I will go there and sometimes think "What is this lame crap?"

Old 04-29-2015, 02:10 PM

Hi all,

I am now in Austin and searching for places to watch comedy shows and perform at, down the road. I know Hideout and The New Movement seem like decent places, but are there other places worth checking out (for a newbie performer)? I will also call and ask those places for their advice, but any extra help would be appreciated! :-)

Old 04-30-2015, 09:44 PM

25 posts, read 35,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJames30 View Post
Hi all,

I have researched other cities in Texas (thanks for the advice in my previous post) and I have narrowed it down to either living in Austin or Denver. I forgot to mention in my other post that I am looking (as a hobby and to meet new people) to get into acting and/or comedy. I realize LA and NYC are where you go if you're gung-ho on making a career in entertainment, but for now I want to do it as a hobby. I know Denver has comedy clubs, but is there more of an opportunity for open mics and newbie acting in Austin, compared to Denver, CO?

Thanks!
If you have to ask... you're already doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City