U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 01:42 PM

4,571 posts, read 6,747,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I think the more legit issue is why Ann Arbor is a stand alone metro from Detroit.
The only residents who commute in any significance to Ann Arbor live in Canton. Otherwise Ann Arbor is just as independent from Detroit as Windsor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 PM

3,244 posts, read 3,484,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
I love the top ten metros but can we please show some love for lower bottom of the top 20. All these cities are growing fast as well including my City Charlotte NC and the Capital Raleigh NC. Everyone knows the top 10 will be the big dogs for a while. It cant always be about them.
Don't worry, once the data comes out in 2 days people will post all the numbers.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:46 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,046,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Specialized economic function via the university and commuting patterns? Lawrence is also a stand alone metro and it is adjacent to Kansas City so I'm assuming they both share similar attributes.
I'm sure that the Washtenaw County commuting patterns don't have enough residents commuting into Wayne County. The urban areas run into each other. Just one of those arguments of CSA/MSA/Urban Area and which metric works best I suppose. You can say Ann Arbor is a metro area of 350k, but it's 15 minutes away from the shopping of a 4million+ metro ect.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:53 PM

4,571 posts, read 6,747,105 times
Quote:
I'm sure that the Washtenaw County commuting patterns don't have enough residents commuting into Wayne County. The urban areas run into each other. Just one of those arguments of CSA/MSA/Urban Area and which metric works best I suppose. You can say Ann Arbor is a metro area of 350k, but it's 15 minutes away from the shopping of a 4million+ metro ect.
By that logic, San Jose should be apart of San Francisco, Philadelphia should be with New York City, Baltimore should be apart of DC, etc, etc. That's a big can of worms to open up.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:56 PM

11,017 posts, read 21,590,828 times
Quote:
My BF's family lives in the Detroit area on the west side. I go back often and they all went to school in Ann Arbor, his sister still works there. We run back and forth a lot, I always thought of Ann Arbor as a part of the greater Detroit area.

We zoom back and forth from the I-275 area of Detroit into Ann Arbor on Ford Road. It's only 13 miles or so to get into Ann Arbor, maybe 20 minutes.

The traffic between the two easily gets backed up at rush hour, it's not unusual for people to go back and forth. His sister does it ever few days to go hang out with the family or go into town.

It's much easier for them to go from metro west Detroit to Ann Arbor than it is to get downtown Detroit.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:55 PM

291 posts, read 297,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I don't understand why it makes a difference. At most only a few thousand people commute between either city which probably isn't even a full percent of either city's population. Like literally, without all the freight traffic, Windsor and Detroit are completely independent of each other and hardly share an economy.
http://archive.freep.com/article/201...-Windsor-mayor

You make it seem like Detroit and Windsor are 60 miles apart when in fact they are right across the river from each other and are thus in the same "metro" area. The above article from 2013 shows that the two cities are not completely independent of each other. The two cities are very connected to each other in many ways. So in reality, when comparing Detroit's regional population to other regions in the US and around the world, Windsor should be included. Using MSA/CSA's for such comparisons is not much different or better than using city propers.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:10 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,046,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
Hands across the river: Windsor champions Detroit's strengths | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

You make it seem like Detroit and Windsor are 60 miles apart when in fact they are right across the river from each other and are thus in the same "metro" area. The above article from 2013 shows that the two cities are not completely independent of each other. The two cities are very connected to each other in many ways. So in reality, when comparing Detroit's regional population to other regions in the US and around the world, Windsor should be included. Using MSA/CSA's for such comparisons is not much different or better than using city propers.
For all intents and purposes yes they are part of the same city there is no differentiation from above. For statistical purposes the census bureau can't include Windsor in any designation for Detroit as it has no jurisdiction over it.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
By that logic, San Jose should be apart of San Francisco, Philadelphia should be with New York City, Baltimore should be apart of DC, etc, etc. That's a big can of worms to open up.
The fact of the matter is that San Jose and San Francisco (along with Oakland) are in the same metropolitan and urban area. The two cities are only 40 miles apart, there is full development between them and they are in the same CSA. The same can be said for Balt/DC. The fact that the Bay Area and Balt/DC are divided along county lines into separate MSA's just shows how ridiculous these definitions are, and the CSA definition isn't much better!

The NY/Philly situation is a little different because these two cities are 90 miles apart (though only 46 miles straight-line border-to-border). I wouldn't be shocked if NY/Philly became a CSA at some point in the future.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I don't see how that makes MSAs "useless". It's an edge case that really only applies to Detroit and San Diego.
Also San Diego/Tijuana, Buffalo/Fort Erie and El Paso/Juarez.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:29 PM

178 posts, read 242,740 times
2 days away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or