U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is their any truth to the saying "Too dumb for New York, Too ugly for LA"?
No, that's total BS. 48 61.54%
A little. 19 24.36%
A lot. 7 8.97%
I don't know. 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:03 PM

282 posts, read 257,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
It's BS. To nearly the same degree as the saying "If you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere." No validity whatsoever.

I went to HS in the NYC area and I feel a lot of kids who are successful in NYC are only because they know somebody (parent/friend/brother/sister/connection) who opened a door for them to a NYC salary job. These kids were not any smarter or savvier than anyone I went to college with in CA.

I then worked in NYC for several years and saw how it really was. Most middle aged people I worked with at a corporation were not truly innovative or progressive. They simply stuck around because they were good at kissing ass. NYC definitely did not live up to the expectation at least from the work world perspective.

However there are many attractive women in NYC, that should definitely be noted. Now I'm back in CA and I must say it's a privilege to get to work in Southern California over the rat race that is NYC.
By "CA", surely you mean Los Angeles? Because you sure as hell aren't talking about San Francisco which is very much a rat race these days. Every time I go into town, all I hear about is talk about tech valuations and work. And there was just report revealed that San Francisco is right behind New York when it comes to the longest work-hours in the nation. Los Angeles isn't even in the top ten, which speaks volumes of the culture differences. As a native, I understand that people, mostly in Los Angeles, like to lump California metro areas together to compare with the mighty New York City, but that's a bit silly because Southern California and the Bay Area are very different in terms of overall culture. There really isn't much innovation in Los Angeles. Interestingly enough, the more ridged New York and New England areas are actually larger innovation centers than Los Angeles, if we look at venture capital funding. Disparage your old, successful, classmates if you want, but fact remains that New York is more productive and and far more important to our national economy than Los Angeles.

But that's the beauty of the world. There is somewhere for everyone. The money-hungry rat race is the reason New York and the Bay Area are much wealthier than Los Angeles. It works for them and they should stick with it. I'm personally very happy that rat races like those exist, because finance and tech are the reason the United States is the most prominent country in the world. Hard work isn't a bad thing. Wall Street is the engine that blew us past the United Kingdom and gave us the superpower crown and Silicon Valley is leading us into the future.

Last edited by UAE50; 05-11-2015 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 03:21 PM

24 posts, read 33,700 times
The weirdest thing about this saying is that New York doesn't even strike me as a particularly "smart" city, it's more of a hard-working, no-nonsense city, if that makes sense. Yes, there are really smart people there doing incredible things, but it's such a massive city that there are a ton of average and below average intelligence people dragging the average down. The result is that when I picture a typical New Yorker, I picture someone of average intelligence.

Obviously, this is true to some extent everywhere, but the two cities that do feel like "smart" cities to me are Boston and San Francisco. They are smaller cities and it just seems like a higher percentage of the population in each of these cities is really smart. The core industries of each of these cities (tech and for SF, biotech, healthcare, and academia for Boston) also tend to attract very smart people, whereas finance in New York feels more about who you know as opposed to how smart you are. The type of intelligence of each of these cities is different however - San Francisco feels more innovative/creative, while Boston feels more analytical/research-oriented.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:00 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,227,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewme18 View Post
There's a song about it and many shirts with the saying "Too dumb for New York, Too ugly for LA." I don't know why people would buy a shirt that is basically says they're not that smart or attractive, but I guess they do. Anyways, what do you all think of this statement? Is it total BS? Or is there some truth to it? Or a whole lot of truth?
There's a lot of stupid people out there that are willing to wear clothing that makes them look foolish. I saw a guy yesterday wearing a shirt that said "Get Money, Spend Money, Repeat". Might as well say "I don't know how to save and I live hand to mouth".

Old 05-11-2015, 04:10 PM

1,707 posts, read 947,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
By "CA", surely you mean Los Angeles? Because you sure as hell aren't talking about San Francisco which is very much a rat race these days. Every time I go into town, all I hear about is talk about tech valuations and work. And there was just report revealed that San Francisco is right behind New York when it comes to the longest work-hours in the nation. Los Angeles isn't even in the top ten, which speaks volumes of the culture differences. As a native, I understand that people, mostly in Los Angeles, like to lump California metro areas together to compare with the mighty New York City, but that's a bit silly because Southern California and the Bay Area are very different in terms of overall culture. There really isn't much innovation in Los Angeles. Interestingly enough, the more ridged New York and New England areas are actually larger innovation centers than Los Angeles, if we look at venture capital funding. Disparage your old, successful, classmates if you want, but fact remains that New York is more productive and and far more important to our national economy than Los Angeles.

But that's the beauty of the world. There is somewhere for everyone. The money-hungry rat race is the reason New York and the Bay Area are much wealthier than Los Angeles. It works for them and they should stick with it. I'm personally very happy that rat races like those exist, because finance and tech are the reason the United States is the most prominent country in the world. Hard work isn't a bad thing. Wall Street is the engine that blew us past the United Kingdom and gave us the superpower crown and Silicon Valley is leading us into the future.
I'm not saying NYC isn't an important part of our national economy. I'm saying a lot of dumb asses work there that are born into entitlement.

I lived in Hoboken, NJ for a few years after college. Yes the average salary is nearly 100K a year but holy cow, full of young people that are straight up NOT smart. You got the vibe that a lot of people who lived there were total corporate social climbers -- men and women alike.

There is a lot of innovation in Los Angeles. Look up Silicon Beach. It's one of the top tech scenes in the country.

Yes, I definitely mean Los Angeles, not San Francisco. While I like San Francisco, I feel like the tech boom has totally screwed up the housing bubble up there (NYC style rent prices) and culturally it's not something I want to be a part of. Not to mention inferior weather compared to LA.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post

Nah, no innovative startups here in Los Angeles at all

SpaceX
SolarCity
Virgin Galactic
Snapchat
Tinder
Nasty Gal
Buzzfeed
Machinima

And its not like Los Angeles is the world HQ of the video game industry or anything. Being the city at the nexus of technology and entertainment is a *huge* competitive disadvantage.

E3
Activision
Blizzard Entertainment
Disney Interactive
Infinity Ward
Electronic Arts
Insomniac Games
Naughty Dog
Obsidian Entertainment
Santa Monica Studios (Sony)
Treyarch
Turtle Rock
Warner Bros Studios
Square Enix
WayForward

No higher learning institutions here doing ground breaking research either.

Caltech
UCLA
USC
Sci-Arc

And its sure as hell not like LA is sending rovers to Mars or anything...

Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)

...or like LA built the Space Shuttle fleet. That would just be crazy.

Charting space shuttle history on the Southland map

Nope, nothing but lazy celebrity wannabees here! We bow to SF and NYC's superior intellect and work ethic.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 05-11-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 05:08 PM

5,793 posts, read 10,627,597 times
I'm from New York and live in Southern California.
I'm good looking AND intelligent.

The title is from a Waylon Jenning's song - pandering to a base of undereducated, toothless hillbillies.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:30 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,505,102 times
i just learned that a good number of the worst apps and new media originated in LA and not the Bay Area

Old 05-11-2015, 05:32 PM

44,590 posts, read 43,115,486 times
There is a saying about NYC. If you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:34 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,117,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
i just learned that a good number of the worst apps and new media originated in LA and not the Bay Area
Don't make fun of Tinder, bro. I've gotten so much play from it.

Where's that Valtrex perscription?

Old 05-11-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Well c'mon, if you're going to dismiss LA's entire tech scene, don't half-ass it. What flippant remarks do you have about SpaceX, SolarCity, Virgin Galactic, and JPL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or