U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is their any truth to the saying "Too dumb for New York, Too ugly for LA"?
No, that's total BS. 48 61.54%
A little. 19 24.36%
A lot. 7 8.97%
I don't know. 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 PM
 
1,462 posts, read 1,511,282 times
Reputation: 1019

Advertisements

none, obviously..

and I reject your claim that I dismissed "LA's entire tech scene"

ppl b touchy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2015, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Downtown LA
1,192 posts, read 1,232,621 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
ppl b touchy
ppl b trolly.

FTFY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 PM
 
1,462 posts, read 1,511,282 times
Reputation: 1019
gosh ppl can't [obviously] joke around on here, not surprising only mr candy is capable of noticing and responding accordingly

probably a correlation in there seeing as he isn't a LA homer and doesnt take this stuff too seriously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,040 posts, read 13,429,975 times
Reputation: 6770
I've seen tons of stupid, ugly people in NYC while I lived there. I can't say much about LA, but I do know a few people who live there, who don't happen to be beautiful themselves.

The stereotypes come from the fact that beautiful people do tend to flock to LA, but it's not like LA is exclusive to beautiful people. Same with NYC, which by the way, has a lot of beautiful looking people, and equally just as many ugly people.

The bottom line is that there are smart and beautiful people everywhere. And stupid, ugly people everywhere.

I would go as far to say that the vast majority of people in general are not very attractive, even in big cities. Even as a gay guy in NYC, going out to the bars, you would still see two ugly guys for every one attractive guy. Or, the ugly guys try too hard to look beautiful when they're really not. Oh well....that's just life, right?

Looks don't typically last forever, but intellectuality does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Downtown LA
1,192 posts, read 1,232,621 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Looks don't typically last forever, but intellectuality does.
At least until the Alzheimer's or dementia sets in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Downtown LA
1,192 posts, read 1,232,621 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
gosh ppl can't [obviously] joke around on here, not surprising only mr candy is capable of noticing and responding accordingly

probably a correlation in there seeing as he isn't a LA homer and doesnt take this stuff too seriously
If you didn't mean it as a troll then I apologize, but can you blame me when LA literally gets shat on in every thread? Look at the original comment from UAE50 I was responding to. "LA has no innovation", "LA isn't productive", "LA isn't important to the economy of the US", "People in LA don't work hard" blah blah blah. Utter and complete nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 11:51 AM
 
Location: LoS ScAnDaLoUs KiLLa CaLI
1,227 posts, read 1,123,683 times
Reputation: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The bottom line is that there are smart and beautiful people everywhere. And stupid, ugly people everywhere.
Ding. Ding. Ding.

But no, this forum is obsessed with stereotypes and seeing only through those glasses. I wonder if anyone here is capable of enjoying anything anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 12:08 PM
 
44,723 posts, read 43,262,217 times
Reputation: 14445
This is what I know so far. Both NYC and LA are astronomically expensive, at least compared to where I live. I would gather that if you were new to either city and had moved from somewhere smaller, cheaper, like Atlanta, Kansas City, Nashville,etc, NYC and LA would be harder to get by in.

An article from USAToday stated these cities as the hardest cities to start a business in:
Best and worst cities to start a business
141. Anaheim, Calif.
142. San Jose, Calif.
143. Santa Ana, Calif.
144. Oakland, Calif.
145. Ontario, Calif.
146. Fremont, Calif.
147. Yonkers, N.Y.
148. Garden Grove, Calif.
149. Jersey City, N.J.
150. Newark, N.J.

Four of them are in the Greater LA area, three are in the NYC Tri-State region, and three are in the Bay Area. It makes me wonder about this. There is alot of venture capitalism taking place in those regions. However, those areas, according to what I've been told, are hard places to start businesses in. Those are also among the most expensive regions to live in. It makes me wonder how much has to be done just to get by in those areas. Perhaps the saying "if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere" could be applied to LA and the Bay Area too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 12:15 PM
 
Location: LoS ScAnDaLoUs KiLLa CaLI
1,227 posts, read 1,123,683 times
Reputation: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is what I know so far. Both NYC and LA are astronomically expensive, at least compared to where I live. I would gather that if you were new to either city and had moved from somewhere smaller, cheaper, like Atlanta, Kansas City, Nashville,etc, NYC and LA would be harder to get by in.

An article from USAToday stated these cities as the hardest cities to start a business in:
Best and worst cities to start a business
141. Anaheim, Calif.
142. San Jose, Calif.
143. Santa Ana, Calif.
144. Oakland, Calif.
145. Ontario, Calif.
146. Fremont, Calif.
147. Yonkers, N.Y.
148. Garden Grove, Calif.
149. Jersey City, N.J.
150. Newark, N.J.

Four of them are in the Greater LA area, three are in the NYC Tri-State region, and three are in the Bay Area. It makes me wonder about this. There is alot of venture capitalism taking place in those regions. However, those areas, according to what I've been told, are hard places to start businesses in. Those are also among the most expensive regions to live in. It makes me wonder how much has to be done just to get by in those areas. Perhaps the saying "if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere" could be applied to LA and the Bay Area too.
I hate to say this but...whenever I read those "hardest to start a business" lists, I really wonder what kind of businesses people actually try to start? Usually the "hardest places" tend to be the most populated places. Could it be that their markets are already saturated with stuff, making competition a lot harder?

Yeah yeah, I know about red tape and taxes, but really, what kind of businesses are people starting? Yeah, I'm sure your restaurant really is the only one in a large metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2015, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,484 posts, read 7,757,114 times
Reputation: 7300
Meant to post this in this thread but somehow missed and put it in the wrong New York and Los Angeles thread. Seeing how this is the thread where video games and the San Francisco Bay Area entered the conversation.

Video Game Development:
- San Francisco Bay Area: 231
- Greater Los Angeles: 167
- Greater Seattle: 102
- Greater Austin: 76
- Greater New York: 59
- Greater Boston: 50
- Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex: 36
- Greater Chicago: 34
- Greater Washington, D.C.: 30
- Greater Orlando: 29
- Greater San Diego: 26
- Greater Philadelphia: 21
- Research Triangle Region: 20
- Greater Portland: 19
- Greater Denver: 19
- Greater Atlanta: 19
- Twin Cities Area: 17
- Southeast Florida: 13
- Greater Salt Lake City: 13
- Greater Phoenix: 12
- Greater Detroit-Ann Arbor: 11
- Greater Indianapolis: 11
- Madison: 10
- Greater Houston: 9
- Greater Nashville: 5
- Greater Tucson: 4
- Greater Columbus: 4
- Greater Kansas City: 4
- Greater Tulsa: 3
- Honolulu: 3
- Greater New Orleans: 2
- Greater Albuquerque: 2

Some other North American cities:
- Greater Vancouver: 67
- Greater Toronto Area: 54
- Greater Montreal: 52
- Greater Mexico City: 10
- Greater Ottawa: 10
- Quebec City: 7
- Winnipeg: 7
- Greater Edmonton: 6
- Greater Guadalajara: 4
- Greater Monterrey: 2
- Greater Calgary: 1

gamedevmap

The San Francisco Bay Area is the absolute top video game development market in both the United States and the World at-large. Greater Los Angeles does very very well too, it is top 3-5 in the world.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 05-12-2015 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top