U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: WHICH 2 CITIES ARE GROWING :METRO, TRANSIT, ENTERTAINMENT etc
BIRMINGHAM "MAGIC CITY" 12 24.00%
LOUISVILLE KY 26 52.00%
CHATTANOOGA TN 6 12.00%
MOBILE AL 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2015, 10:41 AM
 
27,758 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Reputation: 16479

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, the only reason I think it's a little better is because of Gulf Shores and what not around Mobile.
True; I suppose it's a matter of preference. I think Chattanooga is more scenic, being in the mountains and on a river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 PM
 
3,280 posts, read 3,547,293 times
Reputation: 3971
Outside of Mountain Brook, Birmingham is hood.

All are growing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Westside Grand Rapids
3,570 posts, read 3,040,293 times
Reputation: 5494
Birmingham has momentum and that's good. For comparisons sake Louisville is already ahead of Bham and also has been under going a reinvestment boom, Louisvilles on the cusp that Nashville was 20 years ago. I don't see Bham catching Louisville anytime soon.

Louisville
Chattanooga
Birmingham
Mobile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 10:47 AM
 
27,758 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Reputation: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Birmingham has momentum and that's good. For comparisons sake Louisville is already ahead of Bham and also has been under going a reinvestment boom, Louisvilles on the cusp that Nashville was 20 years ago. I don't see Bham catching Louisville anytime soon.
If the momentum continues, I think it could. It's not like Louisville is light years ahead or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Westside Grand Rapids
3,570 posts, read 3,040,293 times
Reputation: 5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If the momentum continues, I think it could. It's not like Louisville is light years ahead or anything.
Well anythings possible for sure. I think the gap between the two cities has gotten wider in the last ten years. It's not to take away from the progress made in Birmingham, but one would also have to assume that not much progress is being made in Louisville. In my ten months in this city I haven't found that to be the case. Louisville just feels more cosmopolitan. They both have similar suburban amenities, but the differences in the cores is notable IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2015, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,668 posts, read 2,251,515 times
Reputation: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If the momentum continues, I think it could. It's not like Louisville is light years ahead or anything.
Thank you. Louisville and Birmingham are on the same level in many ways. I dont know why this is so hard for people to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
4,274 posts, read 3,342,252 times
Reputation: 3001
Louisville has more going for it than Birmingham. It doesn't look run down. I don't see Birmingham catching up to Louisville unless many systemic and leadership changes are made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 05:02 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in the lower 48.
210 posts, read 182,681 times
Reputation: 737
The gap between Louisville and Birmingham is widening. In 2014 Louisville added 26,700 jobs (4.4% growth) while Birmingham added 10,700 jobs (2.1% growth).

Table 3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area

In population, last year Birmingham grew by 4,216 (0.4%) while Louisville grew by 7,458 (0.6%).

American FactFinder - Results

Likewise, the gap between Chattanooga and Mobile is widening.

Chattanooga grew by 2,398 (0.4%) and added 5,300 jobs (2.3%).
Mobile grew by 563 (0.1%) and added 1,500 jobs (0.9%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 05:43 AM
 
27,758 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Reputation: 16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
The gap between Louisville and Birmingham is widening. In 2014 Louisville added 26,700 jobs (4.4% growth) while Birmingham added 10,700 jobs (2.1% growth).

Table 3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area

In population, last year Birmingham grew by 4,216 (0.4%) while Louisville grew by 7,458 (0.6%).

American FactFinder - Results

Likewise, the gap between Chattanooga and Mobile is widening.

Chattanooga grew by 2,398 (0.4%) and added 5,300 jobs (2.3%).
Mobile grew by 563 (0.1%) and added 1,500 jobs (0.9%).
I think you have to look at more than a year's worth of data to say the gap between these two sets of cities is widening. Even these 2014 stats indicate that if that's the case, it's not by a very large margin at all. The two sets of cities are still in the same tier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,668 posts, read 2,251,515 times
Reputation: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Louisville has more going for it than Birmingham. It doesn't look run down. I don't see Birmingham catching up to Louisville unless many systemic and leadership changes are made.
So what sets Louisville apart from Birmingham?

Last edited by JMT; 07-11-2015 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top