U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:43 AM

3,185 posts, read 11,053,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
I also like to fish and bike, I own a fishing boat, should I sell it or bring it to NM? Thanks Laplander.
Biking - GREAT, GREAT biking area. Great weather for year-round biking. Great mountainous / rolling terrain (in both EP and LC)...biking is great here.

Fishing boat - As 6'3" did well to point out, there are some lakes / fishing, but it isn't anything - ANYTHING - like the Midwest / Minnesota. It isn't like being able to drive for a mile or two and run into the next lake, or having a few neighborhood lakes in the community next door. Doesn't work this way.

This is hard core desert, one of the driest regions in the US. The state of New Mexico has the least amount of water per capita of any state in the US, and West Texas is just as dry.

So you can within 60 miles or 75 miles be at a few lakes / fishing areas, and that is great for getaway type stuff for locals, but just be advised those are the only lakes you'll be going to and you'll never have a real fishing lake option nearby like you do in the Midwest.

The reason I point this out is that folks need to realize that in this area, it is the heart of the Chihuahuan Desert. Stress the word DESERT. So many folks coming from the Northeast or Midwest for whatever reason do not consider what it REALLY means living in the desert. Yes, there are no lakes until a few hours away. Yes, things are in general "brown" compared to the Midwest. Yes, rock is used in front yards over grass / lawns. Yes, it is bone-dry and often times dusty.

I am not saying you are not aware of these things. Likely with your in-laws in EP you are. I am always just amazed though at how many Midwesterners want to move to El Paso, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Las Cruces, etc., but then want to be able to have their lush green lawns and trees, lakes up the block, etc. It doesn't work that way. Some people HATE the desert and the landscape. Some (like me) think it is gorgeous. But it is what it is. It is the complete opposite of the water-plentiful upper Midwest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 PM

91 posts, read 347,272 times
Thanks to everyone for the info., I was stationed at Biggs A.F.B. before it became army
back in the mid 60's, wow I am getting old. I have been back to El Paso several times
since that period of time, but only for short visits, and spending the time in the house,
we did take a trip to juarez, eight years ago, it seemed very congested across the bridge, I don't recall the number of people crossing into Mex. and the U.S. as it seemed to be that day. My mother inlaw and brother inlaw live there, (retired army) but, get mixed vues, mother inlaw (80 yrs old) wants us close, El Paso, brother in law says" to hot, dry and dusty to live here" It makes for a tuff decision. I remember, when first stationed there, I disliked it, but grew to like the area after getting acclimated to the hot sun and desert, but we will be in the S.W. in a yr. or two. I live in a town of 20,000
now,so smaller may be better, we'll see how it washes out. thanks laplander

Old 01-14-2008, 03:39 PM

3,185 posts, read 11,053,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laplander View Post
El Paso, brother in law says" to hot, dry and dusty to live here" It makes for a tuff decision. I remember, when first stationed there, I disliked it, but grew to like the area after getting acclimated to the hot sun and desert, but we will be in the S.W. in a yr. or two.
True, the El Paso summers can be a bit toasty, however, at least there is little-to-no humidity or bugs (eg: the Official Minnesota State Bird The Mosquito) and the rest of the year, she is a beaut!

I am not quite sure where you are in Minnesota, but look at the 10-day forecast for Minneapolis coming up, versus the El Paso one:

Forecast for Minneapolis, MN [From www.weather.com]
10-Day Forecast

High /
Low (F)

Tonight
Jan 14 Partly Cloudy LOW 3
Tue
Jan 15 Partly Cloudy HIGH 21/ LOW 16
Wed
Jan 16 Cloudy HIGH 20/ LOW 3
Thu
Jan 17 Partly Cloudy HIGH 11 / LOW 3
Fri
Jan 18 Flurries / Wind HIGH 7 / LOW -6
Sat
Jan 19 Partly Cloudy HIGH 4 / LOW -9
Sun
Jan 20 Mostly Cloudy HIGH 10 / LOW 0
Mon
Jan 21 Cloudy HIGH 10 / LOW -1
Tue
Jan 22 Sunny HIGH 11 / LOW 2
Wed
Jan 23 Snow Shower HIGH 11 / LOW 2

Yes, the HIGH for Saturday is 4. Four degrees. Low of negative 9.

Here is El Paso:

Forecast for El Paso, TX [From www.weather.com]
10-Day Forecast

High /
Low (F)

Tonight
Jan 14 Partly Cloudy LOW 30
Tue
Jan 15 Sunny HIGH 55 / LOW 31
Wed
Jan 16 Sunny HIGH 54 / LOW 26
Thu
Jan 17 Mostly Sunny HIGH 50 / LOW 27
Fri
Jan 18 Sunny HIGH 56 / LOW 29
Sat
Jan 19 Partly Cloudy HIGH 56 / LOW 29
Sun
Jan 20 Sunny HIGH 60 / LOW 30
Mon
Jan 21 Sunny HIGH 61 / LOW 32
Tue
Jan 22 Mostly Sunny HIGH 61 / LOW 35
Wed
Jan 23 Partly Cloudy HIGH 62 / LOW 35

Don't know about you, but I would take some 105 degree humidity-less days in the summer than 4 degrees in the winter! Don't get me wrong...there are LOTS of great things about Minnesota and it is a great, great state, but as it applies to weather alone, I don't think many places can hold a candle to the El Paso area, much less the upper Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City