Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best all around place for nightlife?
New York 31 30.39%
Los Angeles 9 8.82%
Chicago 9 8.82%
San Francisco 8 7.84%
Miami 15 14.71%
Montreal 7 6.86%
Las Vegas 16 15.69%
New Orleans 7 6.86%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:41 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Vapid and fake, as opposed to clubs, bars, and lounges that are "down to earth".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:52 AM

How do you define "well-rounded". These threads never really get to the bottom of the OP's question. people typically big up their favorite cities on the list, and slander their least favorite cities

Old 03-24-2015, 11:01 AM

This thread is innaccurate regarding Miami's nightlife scene. I don't think Miamis nightlife is one dimensional per se, I just think Miami gets judged on the surface more than any other city. What you experience within a block in South Beach, is viewed as the basis for "typical" Miami nightlife. South Beach is viewed as the face of Miami in threads like these..But hey, SF has Santa Con.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 AM

387 posts, read 355,999 times
LA is so overrated for its cost of living....I would never spend that much cash to live in an average city like that....If you are going to pay that much money you might as well just like in NYC or San Fran....

I don't care for Vegas either....Fun to visit, but it gets old real quick

NYC, Chicago, Montreal, New Orleans, San Fran are all good cities....Miami is better than Vegas/LA but definitely not as good as the top 5.....Obviously NYC and Chicago are unmatched in size and scope, but Montreal, New Orleans, San Fran have such a unique vibe about them...

Old 03-24-2015, 11:47 AM

728 posts, read 1,964,929 times
Where would you think is better place for myself and 2 friends (mid 20s) to party in New Orleans or Chicago? I was in New Orleans last summer and loved it never been to Chicago. Obviously since we haven't been in Chicago it would make more sense but that's irrelevant. Basically just want to know whats a better party city?

My ranking of the cities I have been to regarding nightlife on this list

1.Vegas
2.NYC
3. Miami
4. New Orleans
5. Montreal

I actually like New Orleans and Montreal more than Miami based on my expectations of them however Miami is a bigger better scene.

Thank You

Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
You didn't go to any of the good clubs, or you went on a day they had nothing scheduled. Liv tomorrow (wednesday) is 75$ USD for males, and 40$ USD for females. On Thursday it's 250USD for males, and 125$ for females. And that's one club and real prices right now.

I love how in tune you are with the day to day door prices for popular south beach clubs, of course broken down by male/female (here in SF we'd have additional categories ). While you preach that Miami's scene is certainly not one dimensional and isn't all about clubbing, you seem to be quite focused on door prices to the clubs there (like WHO tracks THAT? aren't there other things going on down there?)

Also, I wouldn't brag about willingly and frequently spending $1,000 for entry to these places. I would wager a bet that in most people's eyes that just makes a you a superficial, hollow fool, and thus you continue the epic stereotype that is Miami (the fact that you think that makes you special and worthy such that you feel the need to "casually" mention that epitomizes my experience with the droll that inhabits a place like Miami)

And I have to say, based on my own experiences, that BajanYankee certainly does know what he's talking about. Where are you from and how long have you lived in Miami? And if you're someone special living in South Beach who frequents clubs there, why aren't you a local VIP and why can't you get a discount or get in for free, especially if you know promoters (which might be the #1 occupation down there!)?

If Miami has devolved into turning up its nose at its own locals that can actually and consistently afford its nightlife, then Miami's scene is just awful. Who would want to live in such a place. The beauty about a real city is that you have enough options where you don't feel obligated to go to some touristy club 2-3x a week and you can establish local watering holes where the bartenders and possibly the owners become your friends and you feel local and connected to your neighborhood and your city. That does not seem to be possible in Miami anymore, which is sad and pathetic.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I love how in tune you are with the day to day door prices for popular south beach clubs, of course broken down by male/female (here in SF we'd have additional categories ). While you preach that Miami's scene is certainly not one dimensional and isn't all about clubbing, you seem to be quite focused on door prices to the clubs there (like WHO tracks THAT? aren't there other things going on down there?)

Also, I wouldn't brag about willingly and frequently spending $1,000 for entry to these places. I would wager a bet that in most people's eyes that just makes a you a superficial, hollow fool, and thus you continue the epic stereotype that is Miami (the fact that you think that makes you special and worthy such that you feel the need to "casually" mention that epitomizes my experience with the droll that inhabits a place like Miami)

And I have to say, based on my own experiences, that BajanYankee certainly does know what he's talking about. Where are you from and how long have you lived in Miami? And if you're someone special living in South Beach who frequents clubs there, why aren't you a local VIP and why can't you get a discount or get in for free, especially if you know promoters (which might be the #1 occupation down there!)?

If Miami has devolved into turning up its nose at its own locals that can actually and consistently afford its nightlife, then Miami's scene is just awful. Who would want to live in such a place. The beauty about a real city is that you have enough options where you don't feel obligated to go to some touristy club 2-3x a week and you can establish local watering holes where the bartenders and possibly the owners become your friends and you feel local and connected to your neighborhood and your city. That does not seem to be possible in Miami anymore, which is sad and pathetic.
You seem to be uninformed.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:46 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Well I just looked those up for his sake, didn't know those off the top of my head

Ps, Liv is not in South Beach, it's in Fontainebleau hotel.

Quote:

I'm not bragging, just stating reality. I went clubbing in every major, glamorous US city. And many international cities. Miami's high end clubs are extremely expensive and unpredictable.

And I'm friends with a club promoter, I can get in for free to just about any club on a slow night, but the key is a slow night. I'm at a point where spending 1000 USD to get priority access, and a bottle of grey goose and chasers is fine with me. I make enough money not to be phased by it. And I'm no celebrity or Ultra rich, to get VIP treatment (free access) in a way you describe. I said this story in the other thread, but it bears repeating here, my friend who is a club promoter once sold something like 45,000 USD of tickets for a club only for the club to be bought out by some Russian billionaire for the night and the club canceled on their deal. Miami is all about who has more money. So my friend booked them at another club, gave them a party bus, and bottle service with their money to save face.

When we have so many ultra wealthy passing through this place, you better be one of them or your small fry.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:50 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
When I go to clubs here, I pay 1000USD to just enter and have my grey goose right away. To many people spending that kind of money may seem ridiculous but it's Miami .
What exactly does a $1,000 cover charge get you? A 1.75L bottle of Goose will cost about $60. Where is the other $940 going?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:53 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
What exactly does a $1,000 cover charge get you? A 1.75L bottle of Goose will cost about $60. Where is the other $940 going?
Obviously a lot of this goes into the Clubs profit. You think when they charge you 20$ for a Corona, the Corona actually costs them that money

And not a handle (1.75 L) but only a fifth (0.75)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City