U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best all around place for nightlife?
New York 31 31.31%
Los Angeles 9 9.09%
Chicago 9 9.09%
San Francisco 7 7.07%
Miami 15 15.15%
Montreal 7 7.07%
Las Vegas 14 14.14%
New Orleans 7 7.07%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:55 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,135,440 times

Advertisements

^^^Well to be fair, any major club in any major city is going to have that sort of mark up (and I doubt it's 1.75L, probably 1L at most).

It's really no different from paying $20 for a vodka red bull at one of these places. It costs the club a few cents on the dollar. In Vegas, it could cost you $40 for a basic drink at a pool side bar at one of the hotels.

Clubs in CA stop serving alcohol at 2, but those remaining are probably in need of water, too, and so a mini-bottle of water might cost $6-10.

It's just their ability to extort, that's all.

The beauty about well-rounded cities with a large variety of local scenes and local bar scenes is that you can save A LOT of money on nightlife and still have a great time, able to have more low-key groups, able to hear other people talking, able to see and chat about the other people in the bar, etc.

You never ever hear about the great bar scenes in places like Miami or Vegas because despite what the locals want to protest and say is not true, they really don't exist like they do elsewhere. But clubs do exist elsewhere outside of Miami Beach and Vegas, they're just not as touristy/flashy or expensive and hard to get into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,479,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
You never ever hear about the great bar scenes in places like Miami or Vegas because despite what the locals want to protest and say is not true, they really don't exist like they do elsewhere. But clubs do exist elsewhere outside of Miami Beach and Vegas, they're just not as touristy/flashy or expensive and hard to get into.
Oh they exist, most locals go to them because they cannot afford the clubs here. All the bartenders, the servers, the hospitality staff, don't have money to go to our clubs. They go to bars, either cheap tourist bars like the Alibi, more upscale scene in Brickell, artsy scene in Wynwood, or hole in the wall, dives in Little Havana and places around there.

You don't hear about the bar scene because every city has bars. Memphis has a good bar scene.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM

^^^You hear a lot about Memphis's bar scene, particularly Beale St, and it's a small, sleepy southern town. You don't ever hear at all about Miami's bar scene aside from the hotel bars along the beach.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
^^^You hear a lot about Memphis's bar scene, particularly Beale St, and it's a small, sleepy southern town. You don't ever hear at all about Miami's bar scene aside from the hotel bars along the beach.
That's because you're simply uninformed. Miami is all about glamour and all you hear about is the most glamorous. Those hotel beach bars are also relatively expensive, it's easy 20$ for drinks unless they have a certain special so again it's basically tourists or affluent locals.

There is a big thriving working class in Miami, and they have a huge bar scene. From latino family bars that feature karaoke (where latino family's bring their kids late into the night, listen to music, eat, drink), to hole in the wall places with all kinds of characters to the scenes I mentioned.

You hear about Memphis' bar scene because that's what they have.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:11 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
The only way I'd pay $1,000 for admission to a club would be if Jesus, Margot Robbie and the Dos Equis guy were all at my table. It might be worth it then.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:16 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Obviously a lot of this goes into the Clubs profit. You think when they charge you 20$ for a Corona, the Corona actually costs them that money

And not a handle (1.75 L) but only a fifth (0.75)

Sure there's a markup. I was curious what the patrons got for that seemingly absurd cover charge.

...besides robbed.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The only way I'd pay $1,000 for admission to a club would be if Jesus, Margot Robbie and the Dos Equis guy were all at my table. It might be worth it then.
When I was single, there was the added benefit to just being to show up. Often what you would see is mass chaos, no line. A couple bouncers wondering through an angry crowd of people all complaining about how long they've been waiting (some a couple hours), and I can handpick whichever girls I want, tell them if they come with me, we can jump the red velvet rope together. There have been nights here that cost me 5k that way.

But of course I'm not single now, but still I hate lines, I hate having to wait, and I hate being treated like an ordinary person, so I pay when I do go out.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:19 PM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
^^^Well to be fair, any major club in any major city is going to have that sort of mark up (and I doubt it's 1.75L, probably 1L at most).

It's really no different from paying $20 for a vodka red bull at one of these places. It costs the club a few cents on the dollar. In Vegas, it could cost you $40 for a basic drink at a pool side bar at one of the hotels.

Clubs in CA stop serving alcohol at 2, but those remaining are probably in need of water, too, and so a mini-bottle of water might cost $6-10.

It's just their ability to extort, that's all.

The beauty about well-rounded cities with a large variety of local scenes and local bar scenes is that you can save A LOT of money on nightlife and still have a great time, able to have more low-key groups, able to hear other people talking, able to see and chat about the other people in the bar, etc.

Why do you keep saying these places don't exist in Miami like it's fact?

Old 03-24-2015, 02:22 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
What exactly does a $1,000 cover charge get you? A 1.75L bottle of Goose will cost about $60. Where is the other $940 going?
Hopefully it's buying him a prime location. Bottle service in the club is all about the real estate. That's really what you are paying for. But $1,000 for a single bottle is unheard of (especially for a bottle of Goose). Most clubs will charge you one bottle per four persons and then charge an astronomical percentage for gratuity, "fees," etc. Then you'll likely have to "tip" your host/hostess $100 or so. That still wouldn't add up to $1,000.

Bottle service in Miami is not worth it, imo. IMO, you should only do bottle service in BIG clubs. In Vegas, the clubs are HUGE, and you might wind up with 3,000 people on the dancefloor. So in that case, bottle service buys you the visibility you need to score the hot chicks. A rock solid "9" will be elated to enter your section and get away from the giant sardine can that most Vegas clubs become after a certain hour. In Miami, the clubs are much smaller, and you can have a decent time on most nights without having to throw down major guap.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
That's because you're simply uninformed. Miami is all about glamour and all you hear about is the most glamorous. Those hotel beach bars are also relatively expensive, it's easy 20$ for drinks unless they have a certain special so again it's basically tourists or affluent locals.

There is a big thriving working class in Miami, and they have a huge bar scene. From latino family bars that feature karaoke (where latino family's bring their kids late into the night, listen to music, eat, drink), to hole in the wall places with all kinds of characters to the scenes I mentioned.

You hear about Memphis' bar scene because that's what they have.
This is true. And perhaps I'm a yuppie, so that sort of uniform bar scene that only exists because vast majorities of the local population, which is predominantly Latin/service industry can't afford Miami's most notable nightlife, doesn't appeal to me because it seems "last resort" and a little sad.

A good bar scene includes a heck of a lot of diversity, in my opinion, and exists because that's what people of all types, across all socio-economic platforms, all races, and all persuasions want.

SF has any number of decent clubs and lounges. Some are quite Miami-esque without that "world-renowned" reputation or price. Others are more warehousy like those found in parts of New York (something not really common in Miami).

But SF has a sheer immense variety of scenes you'd never be able to find in Miami. Other cities as well. FWIW, SF also has a decent Latin scene, particularly in Oakland, but also in parts of the Mission in the city as well. It's not the same as in Miami, but it has its own flavors, is substantial, and is another area where for a large part, a well-rounded diverse city like SF can take what Miami offers and package it in a more local, less played out wrapping paper.

That ultimately is much more appealing to me, and it sounds like others, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or