Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will be N. America's first car free city? (US and Canada only)
NYC 35 42.68%
Toronto 2 2.44%
Chicago 0 0%
Philadelphia 4 4.88%
Ottawa 0 0%
San Francisco 7 8.54%
Seattle 6 7.32%
Boston 6 7.32%
DC 2 2.44%
Vancouver 9 10.98%
Portland 4 4.88%
Montreal 2 2.44%
Other 5 6.10%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I agree that certain zones in NYC seem like they would be ready for this type of development. I also agree with the author that Boston would be a perfect candidate if they get their transit priorities in order and invest in the MBTA, because pedestrian wise its an excellent city.

A sleeper may be Montreal, and I think that may be the city I actually vote for. Great commitment to pedestrian only streets, strong Metro system and just a pleasure of a city to walk through in general.

1. Montreal
2. Boston
3. NYC
4. DC

Those would be the main contenders.
Boston could start by shutting down the North End to everything but commercial traffic. Also Newbury street would be a cool pedestrian thoroughfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 AM

591 posts, read 781,258 times
I don't think this would ever happen. If it did, It would probably happen to NYC

Old 03-23-2015, 11:20 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,177 times
People in Portland, OR HATE cars, I drove a sprinter van delivering wine for a living, and I got so much crap from those dang hipsters and hobos. One tried to kick my van while it was moving, guess what buddy, I'm not stopping if you break your foot!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:44 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
NYC or Toronto probably
Toronto doesn't have a single pedestrian only street, with most its streets catering to cars. It has 2.5 subway lines, similar to Vancouver a city 1/3 of its size. We are still scrapping above ground LRTs projects in favour of underground subways because the LRTs will "take lanes from the cars".

Hell no, Toronto won't be car free in 50 years. You think too highly of it. It might look like it has a great public transport system, but it doesn't unless you live in the more urban 10% of the city that is downtown and its peripheries.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think in about 40-50 years Midtown and Downtown Manhattan will be car free.
i think manhattan is the exact opposite (unless cabs dont count as cars) ?

Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think in about 40-50 years Midtown and Downtown Manhattan will be car free.
Have you ever been to either parts of Manhattan? Midtown just might have the widest most usable roads of any major city in the nation. the north-south avenues are rivers of traffic.

The areas south of Houston St are much more narrow but even they are perfectly navigable by auto.

The only city that this could happen to in the near future would be Boston.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:19 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
LOL at this whole thread.

Look, I am personally car-minimal myself and prefer to walk / use transit 99% of the time, but let's get real: Our entire society is based car transport. Even in these so-called basitions of car-freeness like Manhattan...where there are 4 million parking spots and more taxis than there are people (ok, that's an exaggeration, but it sure seems like it some times.)

Sure, there will be plenty of cities that become more car-free friendly than they already are, but until a superior form of personal transport comes around the car is here to stay.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 PM

406 posts, read 485,893 times
Gary, Indiana.

Streets are clear of vehicular traffic.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,911 times
I can't imagine there will ever be a 100% car free city.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:31 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Have you ever been to either parts of Manhattan? Midtown just might have the widest most usable roads of any major city in the nation. the north-south avenues are rivers of traffic.

The areas south of Houston St are much more narrow but even they are perfectly navigable by auto.

The only city that this could happen to in the near future would be Boston.
I'm going to sound like a broken record, but yeah, clearly there are a lot of folks who don't understand how NYC works. The reason why so many people don't own cars isn't because they don't want to, it can just be too much of an headache/expense to own one. Since transit is to a level where you do need one, people opt for them. That doesn't take the desire away though.

When you go out to the other four boroughs, car usage skyrockets. Why? Because it's not such a hassle to own a car there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City