U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,479,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
My G/F who works for Virgin America can confirm this, far more people going to these destinations than to Miami on their flights.
Try this, punch in Miami to San Francisco right now on google flights.
Then punch in San Francisco to Miami. Do it for today, or tomorrow.

You will see something, Miami to San Francisco is far cheaper (400 USD to 700 USD) because that route has less demand. More people fly from San Francisco to here than the opposite.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:31 PM

9,413 posts, read 4,311,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Try this, punch in Miami to San Francisco right now on google flights.
Then punch in San Francisco to Miami. Do it for today, or tomorrow.

You will see something, Miami to San Francisco is far cheaper (400 USD to 700 USD) because that route has less demand. More people fly from San Francisco to here than the opposite.
Or I can actually ask my G/F. Demand (number of people purchasing flights) is the same both directions on their airline. Can't imagine it's much different for other airlines. And well, that makes sense because how many people are taking only one-way flights?

Or are you suggesting that people in SF take one-way flights to Miami and don't come back?

Old 03-25-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Or I can actually ask my G/F. Demand the same both ways on their airline. Can't imagine it's much different for other airlines. And well, that makes sense because how many people are taking only one-way flights?
When I punched it in it was round trip however a return trip is more in the future so it's less market sensitive. This is why I also asked you to punch it for today or preferably tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:35 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Miami must be a vortex - people fly there and never leave. Most air routes have basically the same number of people people flying either direction.

One difference on this route is probably more American (AA) travelers live in Miami and more United live in SF - mostly caused by miles and hub preference

Also people in these demographics are likely not flying commercial airlines as frequently anyway

Old 03-25-2015, 06:35 PM

9,413 posts, read 4,311,734 times
Quote:
When I punched it in it was round trip however a return trip is more in the future so it's less market sensitive. This is why I also asked you to punch it for today or preferably tomorrow.
I'm just saying I don't think is telling you what you want it to tell you. There's no significant difference in the number of people going SF-Miami than there is Miami-SF (based on passenger numbers). That's because people don't buy one-way tickets and never come back. Or is this what you think it means?

Anyway...this thread has gotten a bit ridiculous. Congrats to Miami for doing well on this survey.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:38 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,380,612 times
SFO to Honolulu gets DOUBLE the amount of passengers than SFO to MIA. SFO to Maui is closer to the passenger volume for SFO to MIA.

http://blog.airtimesapp.com/2013/08/...l#.VRNUDvnF98E

Miami really isn't that big of a vacation destination for people here in my experience.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:46 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
SFO to Honolulu gets DOUBLE the amount of passengers than SFO to MIA. SFO to Maui is closer to the passenger volume for SFO to MIA.

http://blog.airtimesapp.com/2013/08/...l#.VRNUDvnF98E

Miami really isn't that big of a vacation destination for people here in my experience.
its probably about the same flight time. If I could get to Hawaii that quick I would too. I do like Miami though and at about 2.5 hours flight time for me is close - Hawaii is closer to 8-10 if connecting - I can to most of Europe in that time

Miami is far more an EC/MW destination plus Lat Am

Kind of like why Cancun is busier here than Cabo etc

Old 03-25-2015, 06:47 PM

990 posts, read 925,959 times
Quote:
Yup I do, because in such city I get asked for directions all the time, occasionally I will ask them where they're from. Sometimes I meet them in clubs here.

Just yesterday I had a funny conversation with a a grouping of twenty-somethings from San Francisco

1)So you're from San Fran (asking explicitly because most people are from suburbs)
2)Eh, don't call it that, you can say "The City"
3)Haha that's NYC, not San Fran
4)DON"T CALL IT THAT!!!!

Quote:
They have access to Southern Cali, Mexico, and Hawaii,

Well they come and come a lot, you can refuse to believe it if it makes you feel better. It's probably a mixture of our beaches, nightlife and atmosphere that draws them. Southern California doesn't have the beaches, Hawaii doesn't have the nightlife, and most people are scared of Mexico these days. Not to mention Mexican nightlife outside of DF is just tourists, it doesn't draw the big name acts, and the exclusivity of Miami.
Alright Bobby Bottle Service. I can play that game, too. I was in San Fran a few weeks ago and every other person I talked to was from Miami. There, I guess we're even.

No beaches in Southern California. No nightclubs in Hawaii. No Las Vegas a short flight away. No one goes to Mexico. You're ridiculous.

Oh, and most billionaires can live anywhere they want to (even when running regional businesses), and yet for some reason, many of them choose not to live in Miami. Turns out, driving down the strip in a red Ferrarri and riding around in a boat like Pitbull doesn't appeal to everyone.

Anyway, enjoy your spot on the list and the massively overblown sense of importance that it has apparently given you.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Alright Bobby Bottle Service. I can play that game, too. I was in San Fran a few weeks ago and every other person I talked to was from Miami. There, I guess we're even.
Except you're lying.

Quote:
No beaches in Southern California.
Didn't say it. Our beaches are better, water is warmer, and at this time of the year, the odds are better you could actually enjoy the beach (suntanning). I understand this year there is a heatwave so plenty of people are on Southern California beaches, but in vast majority of the years that's not the case in March, April May etc.

Quote:
Oh, and most billionaires can live anywhere they want to
Well not exactly, they have to be a resident of the state their corporation is based. Where they spend most of their time is a trickier question, but it's not answered through "primary residence" statistics.

Anyways take all this up with Knight Frank, buddy, I didn't make this study. It's you crying because you don't like the results, and you're taking it out on me because I posted it. Because like what I said, you're salty.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:04 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,899,169 times
School yard bantering/bullying going on here. I honestly wonder why this is all so important. I would recommend finding some hobbies and getting out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or