U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,481,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
YES ABSOLUTELY. A survey of financial advisors revealed
Nope, a combination of where UHNWI live, their portfolios, and attitude surveys showed Miami as 6 and San Francisco as 19.

Quote:
San Francisco: Primary
Miami: Secondary
Actually what it shows is that the only UHNWI who live in San Francisco are those who make money there. As soon as you make money somewhere else, you go with Miami over San Francisco when looking for your secondary residence. Since only a very small percentage of UHNWI actually make their money in San Francisco/Bay Area, Miami easily wins. A UHNWI from Moscow looking for a city in the USA chooses NYC or Miami but generally ignores San Francisco. Same for a UHNWI from London. Same for Paris. San Francisco only has appeal if you need to live there to manage your Bay Area based corporation.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:29 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,308,455 times
As far as the southern U.S I would say Houston and Miami.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:29 AM

31,579 posts, read 53,123,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Nope, a combination of where UHNWI live, their portfolios, and attitude surveys showed Miami as 6 and San Francisco as 19.
Yes, and we know where they live:

Residents With a Net Worth of $30 Million+,

New York 8,655
London 6,815
Tokyo 6,185
San Francisco 5,460
Los Angeles 5,135
Osaka 3,405
Paris 3,345
Hong Kong 3,335
Chicago 2,885
Mexico City 2,780
Washington DC 2,730
Houston 2,545
Mumbai 2,440
Beijing 2,415
Dallas 2,330
Delhi 2,130
Zurich 2,055
Toronto 1,940
São Paulo 1,885
Rio de Janeiro 1,810
Munich 1,805
Dusseldorf 1,540
Shanghai 1,535
Geneva 1,525
Hamburg 1,480
Sydney 1,470
Singapore 1,395
Rome 1,340
Madrid 1,315
Melbourne 1,240
Atlanta 1,230
Stuttgart 1,220
Shenzhen 1,180
Seattle 1,095
Seoul 1,095

Where u at? *Sad face*

Quote:
Actually what it shows is that the only UHNWI who live in San Francisco are those who make money there. As soon as you make money somewhere else, you go with Miami over San Francisco when looking for your secondary residence.
Haha yes, that's called RETIREMENT.

Your America's Retirement and Vacation Capital: Congrats.

lol

Old 03-24-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, and we know where they live
There they have no choice, they need to be based in the same state as their corporation. Btw, they did a ranking of that and San Francisco had 526 not 5,460. New York City had 3,008. Go into the study I linked to in the OP to see.

Quote:
Haha yes, that's called RETIREMENT.
Haha nope, it's called coming here to play. Because we're America's Monaco and San Francisco is well, just boring. You're a work city. Pat yourself on the back. No different than Detroit in the 50s.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:36 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,708,804 times
Quote:
Miami is not about jobs, it's about fun. The truly rich don't need jobs to live here, but they choose to anyway because we're a fun city. More fun than Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and yes San Francisco. If San Francisco was more fun, I'd be living there. But it's not.

The middle class can't really live here because jobs here are close to nonexistent. Tech jobs here pay about half what they do in San Francisco, if not even less. We're the worst market in the USA for paying jobs. But what's funny is people from NYC, California, and other places fight to live here despite that. I wouldn't live here if I didn't have a remote job. But since I can live wherever I want, I choose to live in Miami.

Face it, Miami is the choice of people who don't need to be tied down due to their job. Those other cities (except Atlanta for black people) are the choice of people who need a job and to be there physically to do it.
Why would someone in NYC or somewhere like Malibu or Beverly Hills in California fight fo live in Miami. Boy what? Look at the richest zip codes in the country with the rankings and get back to everyone in this thread on that one. The most sought out homes in this entire country are in NYC and the NYC metro area such as Greenwich for example.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Why would someone in NYC
Ask them, Miami sucks out New Yorkers more than any other city. Private jet traffic from New York to Miami is the 2nd highest route in the entire world. From New York to Palm Beach (a suburb) it's 10 in the entire world. Now that's the rich, but even middle class New Yorkers fight to live here, but have trouble finding a job that pays even remotely similar as they have in New York.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Ask them, Miami sucks out New Yorkers more than any other city. Private jet traffic from New York to Miami is the 2nd highest route in the entire world. From New York to Palm Beach (a suburb) it's 10 in the entire world. Now that's the rich, but even middle class New Yorkers fight to live here, but have trouble finding a job that pays even remotely similar as they have in New York.
I'm sure more ppl would rather live in Miami than NYC. That would be a nice thread poll as well. NYC vs Miami.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Why would someone in NYC or somewhere like Malibu or Beverly Hills in California fight fo live in Miami. Boy what? Look at the richest zip codes in the country with the rankings and get back to everyone in this thread on that one. The most sought out homes in this entire country are in NYC and the NYC metro area such as Greenwich for example.
NYC is nice but its too dense and cold for me.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:47 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,708,804 times
Quote:
Yes we all know New Yorkers move in droves to south Florida. Half of them are retirees who are not rich and the others are people who are being priced out of NYC and the tri state area because of how it expensive it is. The NYC metro area is 5 times more expensive that Miami, so is the bay area and DC metro area. Also, it has to do with demographics, I'm jewish myself and we like to move places where we have a sense of home. A Jewish community if you know what I mean, which is prominent is south Florida. Although Miami does not beat NYC or California for having the most sought out homes in the country. That's just common knowledge. Those New Yorkers are buying the homes in Miami as vacation homes, somewhere to go in summer or the spring. Besides that Miami does not hold a candle light to NYC, that's just absurd.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I'm sure more ppl would rather live in Miami than NYC.
If there is a city I'd leave Miami for it would be NYC. And I might just move there for 1-2 years. keep my townhouse here and live in Manhattan from May to November, and do Miami Beach the season as they say.

But it's no secret a lot of New Yorkers want to move here, I guess part of the reason is our weather. But there is many places with great weather, so it's some sort of combination of weather, beaches, and our city amenities. Even South Beach is laid out in a grid like fashion similar to Manhattan. Since I'm an iOS developer and fairly connected to iOS developers across the USA, I get so many emails from New Yorkers usually going like this : I make 150k in NYC, want to move to Miami what can I expect?

And I usually have to tell them, stay in NYC unless you're good enough to go remote for a company willing to pay you a comparable wage. Though tech is starting to kick off here, it has a long long way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or