Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
I'm actually proud that Philadelphia is not found on this kind of list (as I noticed smaller Atlanta, Dallas and Seattle are). No thanks; I prefer more egalitarian cities lol
Actually I know that Philly and Boston both also have more ultra high net worth individuals than Miami as both have appeared in past wealth-x rankings. Miami has not.

In fact, I recall Knight Frank using wealth-x data.

So Miami proper has about 200 uhnwis and the metro probably 500-700.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:02 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
Apparently leisure time = most important thing to [people who know] UHNWI's...

Let's just all agree on that, as the major emphasis of this 'study'. Because that one chick is making herself look ridiculous, and the rest of us aren't coming out much better.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
I must admit am not a UHNWI but do occasionally look at UWISHUNU

a serious question - does anyone know the percentage of a metro population in the 1% nationally

the UHNWI looks like .05% or less in most places

Old 03-24-2015, 04:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Not what they say, what they say exactly:
Rich don't buy a secondary home if they vacation here once. They buy a secondary home if they plan on spending X amount of the year here. Then there is the other criteria considered such as investments, uniqueness of the UHNWI, their portfolio investments, etc. But keep trying to whittle it down to "vacations" if it makes you feel better. You have your company in 18MontClair who is still crying and begging for attention from me like a puppy.
Of course WINTERS... simple They have second homes in Florida for Winter. Even retired people may keep two homes? One for Winter in Florida? We all know some who do so, after retirement? They don't choose Miami Beach though. It is you wishing To boost all Miami is the playland of Americas Rich, Latin Americas, and Europe?

I can Add another SDPMiami demeaning quote to the list....

"still crying and begging for attention from me like a puppy"

We merely place Miami where it is in placements? For Millionaires and Billionaires. You claimed they merely live where they work? THEY WORK 9 to 5? the Nations Wealthy and Worlds.

As for Miami? It is still evolving? But you want it to be the Worlds destination already and boost it over Chicago and San Francisco? As a US main destination for wealthy residences that statistics do not uphold? Secondary ones at best for winters. Worlds Young party crowd? California is number one on its Coastal towns for the Wealthy to live. Also there is a lot more to Florida and Homes for the wealthy? Then Miami Beach or Miami City.

Being a Rich kid, whose Parents remain in Europe? You probably get a allowance to help to support, your Playboy lifestyle on Miami Beach? Great for you...... Let Miami evolve more to claim more? It now has other cities too on the move in Modeling? Mumbai to Dubai to Rio.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:53 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Guys, there's no fighting with SDPMiami. He's a snob who loves to argue because it makes him feel important. It's probably better to just ignore his delusions of grandeur and let him be angry that no one wants play his stupid game instead of feeding his empty, meaningless rantings.

I'll say something completely ludicrous just for your sake, SDPMiami: Miami is the center of the world and the most important city on planet Earth. Does that make you feel good?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
They literally have to be weighting "leisure time" to the max and almost not counting the other criteria.
Or not. The most important criteria is where UHNWI actually live. However, you're supposedly a 'yuppie' aren't you supposed to be good with numbers?

Miami kills San Francisco in broad appeal. San Francisco's appeal doesn't stretch much above "I have a tech startup I need to move to Palo Alto". No UHNWI really care (relatively speaking) to vacation there, to own secondary residences, to make sure they're seen there.

It's like 2 kids, one took 10 tests, aced (95%) 2, and flunked the rest (55%). Compared to the other who got just Cs (75%) on all 10.

Miami is all about broad appeal. We have celebrities, athletes, oligarchs, politicians, stock brokers, etc. I'm sure San Francisco gets some too, but nowhere nowhere near as Miami. We're America's Monaco. You're America's Tech center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Does that make you feel good?
haha yeah, but for a different reason. Your "Minnesota Nice" is really showing in that response, down to the smily face. You always have to be such a stereotype

Old 03-24-2015, 11:23 PM

592 posts, read 460,904 times
Do we really have more $30 million residents in the Philly metro than miami? Who'd have thought lol

Last edited by ChuckG2008; 03-24-2015 at 11:34 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 11:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
Do we really have more $30 million residents in the Philly metro than miami? Who'd have thought lol
Miami's international image is mostly shaped by a small slice of the metro area along the coast. It's a place people go to for a few days to play on the beach and party, then they leave. The reality of the metro area is very different from the little piece outsiders go to take advantage of.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Or not. The most important criteria is where UHNWI actually live. However, you're supposedly a 'yuppie' aren't you supposed to be good with numbers?

Miami kills San Francisco in broad appeal. San Francisco's appeal doesn't stretch much above "I have a tech startup I need to move to Palo Alto". No UHNWI really care (relatively speaking) to vacation there, to own secondary residences, to make sure they're seen there.

It's like 2 kids, one took 10 tests, aced (95%) 2, and flunked the rest (55%). Compared to the other who got just Cs (75%) on all 10.

Miami is all about broad appeal. We have celebrities, athletes, oligarchs, politicians, stock brokers, etc. I'm sure San Francisco gets some too, but nowhere nowhere near as Miami. We're America's Monaco. You're America's Tech center.

haha yeah, but for a different reason. Your "Minnesota Nice" is really showing in that response, down to the smily face. You always have to be such a stereotype

I said "I'm a yuppie" as sort of a tongue in cheek exercise, and being a "yuppie" is mutually exclusive to being "good with numbers" (in case you didn't know that).

You just said the most important criteria in the survey you posted was where UHNWI live, and yet Miami is off the radar there. And yet then you went the whole other route in your next sentence and said "Miami kills San Francisco in broad appeal".

Might I point out that where UHNWI keep their permanent residence, which is easily tracked and measured, and your subjective mindless statement about which city "appeals" more to UHNWI are not related.

Your analogy also doesn't work because you're pointing out that SF absolutely aces 2 categories while Miami is mediocre across the board (a C average).

In terms of your final statement about celebrities, athletes, oligarchs, politicians, stock brokers, etc - might I point out that career politicians are not UHNWI? And Miami is not a city filled with prominent politicians while San Francisco is. You must not track politics (neither do I - just thought that was obvious). In terms of athletes - sure lots of athletes and musicians and celebrities keep second homes in Miami, but don't you think given that the Bay Area has more sports teams there are more athletes who keep primary residence there? Don't you think that there's some appeal to celebrities to keep a place around the Bay Area considering the proximity yet difference from SoCal (where Miami is not all that different from SoCal) and considering many prominent celebrities are FROM the Bay Area?

In terms of "stock brokers" - don't get me started on how it's weird you think the average stock broker is a UHNWI, but let's assume that. SF is a global financial center with trading desks throughout every tower in the city. And even through the 90s was home to one of the largest exchanges in the world (which is now an Equinox gym). Do you honestly think there are more "stock brokers" of UHNWI status in Miami than San Francisco?

Finally, in terms of this statement:

"No UHNWI really care (relatively speaking) to vacation there, to own secondary residences, to make sure they're seen there."

I almost really shouldn't comment. Miami is a city filled with dumb losers of ALL income levels who feel like the goal in life is to be seen. You're actually giving wealthy or influential people a bad name. Many prefer NOT to be seen, many have a sort of "guilt" about their fortunes even if their fortunes came about through lots of sacrifice and hard work, and many give back most or all of their money and keep low profiles.

Miami, a major city with 6 million people, has hardly the museums or cultural amenities or prominent universities any city of that size should have. That's because a) there aren't actually that many UHNWI who permanently live there, feel at home there, and thus give back, and b) many of the UHNWI who DO in fact live there are vapid, shallow people who feel it's more important to be seen so to speak than to remain down to earth, keep a low profile and your nose to the ground, and to give back.

You yourself are indicative of the best Miami has to offer. Based on your posting history, I bet you would be hard pressed to find anyone in the entire C-D community who would enjoy meeting you. We all turn each other off to a degree and some posters are clearly 10, but you are a bad stereotype of the kind of person that inhabits South FL. Congratulations on recognition of such.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:58 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times
I should point out that this isn't really even an SF vs Miami discussion. I think I speak for a wide range of cities that are in the same boat, at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City