Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LIST LEAST TO GREATEST OF A CHANCE TO BE THE NEXT HUB METRO IN THE SOUTH?
BIRMINGHAM-HOOVER AL 14 20.90%
MEMPHIS TN 15 22.39%
JACKSON MS 2 2.99%
JACKSONVILLE FL 36 53.73%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:29 AM

121 posts, read 164,270 times

Advertisements

in being a Southern Hub for more growth, retail, population increase ? Within an around the metro from most of you can see now 2015 so far . LET'S BE HONEST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:36 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Wait, Jacksonville is in the same league as Birmingham, Memphis, and Jackson? Isn't that city saturated with transplants like the majority of Florida? If it isn't, that's a little shocking.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:17 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Wait, Jacksonville is in the same league as Birmingham, Memphis, and Jackson? Isn't that city saturated with transplants like the majority of Florida? If it isn't, that's a little shocking.
Yes Jacksonville is in the same league as Birmingham and Memphis. Jacksonville's metro population is only 1.3 million.

Jackson is in the same tier as Montgomery, Columbus, Shreveport.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:12 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,096 times
Raleigh, Greensboro, Louisville???

Old 03-23-2015, 04:32 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,673 times
Is this poll limited to the Deep South? (Threw me off with Jacksonville, though I could understand why it'd be there...)

Of these, I do think Jacksonville is doing the best right now and has a lot of growth potential. Memphis and Birmingham need better leadership to reach their potential.

Specifically, Birmingham has got to attract new industry, skilled tech jobs, to the region and re-brand itself if it ever wishes to overcome its image issue. While people inside AL know that Birmingham is not the same place it was sixty years ago, the contentious historical image is the first one that unfortunately pops to mind, no matter how progressive it is today. Meanwhile Huntsville appears fresh, creative, and new-southy - so that's where investment in AL is going. Don't get me started about Montgomery (where I've got family), Mobile, or Jackson - I just don't see them happening. Now, in 2021, for the first time in decades, Birmingham will have an amazing opportunity to re-define itself and image to the world and the city really needs to leverage that!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:10 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Well, if were talking about just these four metros then I think most everyone knows that I'm gonna pick Jax by a landslide. The only area where one city might have an advantage is Memphis with tourism and brand recognition. But it's not that huge a difference.

Jax has numerous geographic advantages to the rest of these cities (seaport, gateway to FL, two major interstates, rail hub, major river) and is better positioned to benefit from the growth of Latin American trade and the Panama canal expansion. The biggest x-factor is Jaguars owner Shad Khan, who is single-handedly raising the profile of the city in Europe. I'd expect Western European investment in Jax to explode in the several years, and there's no doubt that the charismatic billionaire is 100% responsible for all of that.

But Birmingham and Memphis are cool cities (I've never been to Jackson). Just saying, Jax has the most potential imo

Old 03-24-2015, 02:34 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,178 times
Other = Richmond

Old 03-24-2015, 07:37 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205Bhamurbanite View Post
in being a Southern Hub for more growth, retail, population increase ? Within an around the metro from most of you can see now 2015 so far . LET'S BE HONEST
Wheres Dallas and Houston. But those areas have larger metros with bigger economies than Atlanta. I would also argue Dallas is hands down the fashion capital of the south.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Wheres Dallas and Houston. But those areas have larger metros with bigger economies than Atlanta. I would also argue Dallas is hands down the fashion capital of the south.
Apparently the focus here is mainly the Southeast as opposed to the South as a whole.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:46 AM

413 posts, read 437,773 times
Not to sure Charlotte or Nashville should be placed with Atl especially when the Texas cities aren't.......also if those cities are grouped there I think places like Raleigh/Durham should be there as well while neither is as strong a central city as those 2 as a true metro area they are more then comparable with Nashville and Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City