U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:32 AM

15 posts, read 14,970 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. A little about me... I am 23 and graduating from college this May of 2015. I love new technology and new ideas, even though I don't know how to code haha. I have a very big entrepreneur mindset and I am an absolute go getter. I love live music such as Phish, String Cheese, Grateful Dead, and many more. I will be moving with my gf who is into all of the same things. Looking for an active night life, good weather, and a lot of jobs!

I checked out Denver and it was extremely fun but I don't like how its soo cold and it is no where near water! I do enjoy the mountains but being by the water is more of my passion. I love to go boating surfing wake boarding and just hanging out by the water.

Super torn on what to do! Looked in CA, but too pricey at the moment. Looking for the next best thing. Something filled with young people, jobs, and can't decide between mountains or water!

Also I know its rainy in Seattle but any other weather insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,594,755 times
What is your major? What is your job experience? What is your target job? How much money do you have saved (how how much money are your parents giving you to live)?

You're going to have to divulge some more practical info if you want some proper guidance. The real world is very competitive, so without some acquired job experience or an Ivy League college degree, professional jobs are pretty much out of reach.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:24 PM

15 posts, read 14,970 times
Default Edit:

My Major is Communication and Marketing. My job experience is working for Bloomberg doing marketing and campaigns. Also, I have experience in digital media and videography working for Billabong. I have 15k saved up and I have an inheritance of 200k that is well invested, however I am not touching it for several years or in an emergency situation. Also, my father has passed away and my mom is not giving me any money nor has she since I graduated high school.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:19 AM

2,945 posts, read 3,594,755 times
I'm very sorry to hear about your father. As far as savings is concerned, you seem well situated to move into a rental. Most 1-B in Seattle run around 1,200-1,600 for a newer apartment. As for weather, I find it very mild and enjoyable (both my girl and I enjoy Seattle's climate over SoCal's being that we're both from there.)

This year in Seattle was particularly sunnier, drier, and warmer than most, but it never becomes too cold and never uncomfortable.

As far as jobs, Seattle's pretty stellar in that category although for marketing I could be lacking in info for you.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 4,380 times
Seattle is so much more fun than Denver for a person in their 20's. Way more lively and more to do.
At least that was my experience when I visited both cities.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:33 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,588,332 times
You might want to check out San Diego you have enough money for now. I wish I could have moved to San Diego when I was younger but I can't now. I have to stay in the south due to my job and family and my gf not wanting to move out West.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:24 PM

990 posts, read 925,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaghanbj View Post
Hey everyone. A little about me... I am 23 and graduating from college this May of 2015. I love new technology and new ideas, even though I don't know how to code haha. I have a very big entrepreneur mindset and I am an absolute go getter. I love live music such as Phish, String Cheese, Grateful Dead, and many more. I will be moving with my gf who is into all of the same things. Looking for an active night life, good weather, and a lot of jobs!

I checked out Denver and it was extremely fun but I don't like how its soo cold and it is no where near water! I do enjoy the mountains but being by the water is more of my passion. I love to go boating surfing wake boarding and just hanging out by the water.

Super torn on what to do! Looked in CA, but too pricey at the moment. Looking for the next best thing. Something filled with young people, jobs, and can't decide between mountains or water!

Also I know its rainy in Seattle but any other weather insight?
Both are great choices, but given your situation, age, and preferences I would say to go to Colorado for a while and then see if you're ready to go to the West Coast.

I lived in Denver from 2010-2013, then on to the mountains of CO, and finally made my way to Washington (Bellingham) fall of last year. I love it out here, but the vibe is definitely different than CO.

WA is much more subdued, with much more of an introverted feel, overall. And I appreciate it more in my late 30's than I would have 10-15 years ago. Denver, on the other hand, has a much younger feel, IMHO. The area (including Boulder) is full of 20 somethings with entrepreneurial mindsets, while Seattle is slightly more corporate, with a more established feel.

Music-wise, given your preferences I would take Denver in a heartbeat. No contest. Phish plays Dick's annually as a 3 day tour closer, WSP plays Red Rocks for 3-4 days every year around the 4th of July, SCI is from Boulder and band members play around CO all the time, etc. etc. etc. Tons of live shows and very passionate crowds. Seattle, OTOH, has more diversity to the music scene, and is quite a bit more reserved. Not nearly as much energy in the jamband scene, that's for sure. Things that would sell out in Denver in 5 minutes may not sell out at all in Seattle. So-if you're looking to expand your horizons a bit, Seattle would be a good choice. But if you and your girlfriend enjoy the jam scene, and want to be immersed in it for a while, CO is the place.

Weather-wise, the cities are quite different, but I've found both climates to be comfortable. Seattle can be grey and cloudy (especially in the winter), but rarely is the weather extreme and rarely does it stop you from participating in activities. Sunny days in the NW are absolutely amazing, and there are also a lot of days where the sun pokes through for a little while through the clouds, which should count for something.

Denver, on the other hand, is subject to pretty massive fluctuations in temperature, and can be very dynamic. Denver has occasional (extreme) cold and hot snaps, but in general it is very tolerable, because high and dry climates are weird like that. So, it can be very bipolar, but usually it's pretty nice- you just have to learn to layer. It may be cold to a Floridian, but manageable to most people. It's never boring, that's for sure!

Activity-wise, it is mountains vs. water. There is very little in the way of watersports on the Front Range, though there are a few reservoirs in the area (and a few rivers/creeks to paddle on not too far away). Seattle has both mountains and water nearby, but be advised that the water is cold in WA. So for most people, water sports involves being on it, not in it.

Job-wise, I'd say it's a toss-up. Again, my feeling is that Denver/Boulder is a little accommodating to those that are fresh out of college and Seattle is a little more set up for those that are a little more established- though it's just a feeling that I have, and I can't speak for all industries. I'm in tech, and the pool is smaller in Denver, though, so I'm not sure that supply meets demand.

Both cities are hotspots at the moment, and housing is not cheap. And though Seattle is considerably more expensive, Denver's rent prices are rising even faster, so it is catching up (5 years ago it was pretty cheap).

If I sound kind of contradictory, it's because I love both places. Denver was a great place for me to meet all kinds of people, see new sights, and switch careers (I went back to grad school at DU). Colorado has a lot of youthful energy and a nice sense of community. But, it's also a little isolated and can be a bit one dimensional. For us it was time to move on and see new things, and WA satisfies in that regard. In fact, we will be in the Pacific NW for the foreseeable future. But CO has an energy to it that should be experienced, and I'm forever grateful.

You sound like you're prepared for the move, and you have narrowed it down to two good choices. Again, given your criteria, my vote would be to go with CO and see where that takes you, which eventually may be Seattle....

Old 04-01-2015, 03:38 PM

4,598 posts, read 3,747,366 times
Seattle or Portland...

/end of thread

Old 04-01-2015, 03:59 PM

104 posts, read 91,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Both are great choices, but given your situation, age, and preferences I would say to go to Colorado for a while and then see if you're ready to go to the West Coast.

I lived in Denver from 2010-2013, then on to the mountains of CO, and finally made my way to Washington (Bellingham) fall of last year. I love it out here, but the vibe is definitely different than CO.

WA is much more subdued, with much more of an introverted feel, overall. And I appreciate it more in my late 30's than I would have 10-15 years ago. Denver, on the other hand, has a much younger feel, IMHO. The area (including Boulder) is full of 20 somethings with entrepreneurial mindsets, while Seattle is slightly more corporate, with a more established feel.
Eh, Bellingham is a very different place than Seattle. Seattle is very young with tons of neighborhoods in the urban core especially that have a huge demographic in their 20s. I also think Seattle is more lively and has a better bar scene than Denver. Seattle - like Denver - has two huge mountain ranges nearby, and the Cascades are definitely comparable to the Rockies.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:56 PM

990 posts, read 925,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNNY__ View Post
Eh, Bellingham is a very different place than Seattle. Seattle is very young with tons of neighborhoods in the urban core especially that have a huge demographic in their 20s. I also think Seattle is more lively and has a better bar scene than Denver. Seattle - like Denver - has two huge mountain ranges nearby, and the Cascades are definitely comparable to the Rockies.
Have you spent a good amount of time lately in both?

I'm not really disputing anything that you're saying, though it's worth mentioning that I spend plenty of time in Seattle, and have for years. I'm practically down there every weekend. I chose Bellingham for a different reason. Regarding Seattle, it has a very nice bar scene, and more diverse than Denver at that. I personally prefer it to Denver. I just think that Denver has a younger feel in general. Or, maybe the young people just have a different feel to them. Not better or worse, but more extroverted and raucous, to be sure. Seattle feels more reserved to me. Denver people are far more outgoing and loud, in general. And considering the OP's stated age and preference for music, I'd 100% give Denver the nod in his situation. There's nothing really comparable to the Red Rocks and Denver/Boulder jamband scene in Seattle. That's not a knock on Seattle, just an observation.

I'm not sure why you brought the Cascades into this- I think they're every bit as impressive as the Rockies. In fact, Seattle has mountains on both sides, while Denver only has them on one side (makes me wonder- have you actually visited?). But there's definitely a feeling in Denver that the city is second to the mountains, while Seattleites enjoy seeing them, but aren't nearly as obsessed with being in them. In fact, Denver can feel rather one dimensional at times. Again, I just intentionally moved from CO to WA, and I've experienced the difference firsthand. I can tell you that there's a difference in attitude. Seattle is a little more mature and established with a more intellectual feel, even with throngs of millenials moving in. Denver, OTOH, has a much higher proportion of extreme athletes, ski bums, dispensary employees and partiers in general.

In any case, there's a palpable difference in the mentalities of the younger people in the two cities. It's hard to not feel it. Denver/Boulder is just a different feel than Seattle/Bellevue. Seattle is more refined and upscale, Denver is more hyper, brash and raw. I'll stick to my opinion that for someone like the OP, the energy of Denver would be an appealing place to start off with, and when he wants a change of pace and/or to try something new or move upward with his career, Seattle is a natural progression.

The thread isn't about which city is better than the other- but better for the OP, given his situation.

Last edited by bartonizer; 04-01-2015 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or