U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2015, 10:26 AM
 
9,597 posts, read 10,959,318 times
Reputation: 2139

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Interesting links.

I wonder how close the next US city would be to DC

I think with DC some folks have a short memory. The investment in DC over the last 10-20 is really dramatic. Most was fueled but Govt consolidation and govt growth in the region (and the off shoots) While DC is more diverse now even as a result there are signs of a slow down. The cranes may migrate elsewhere so-to-speak. DC will likely remain a strong market but it seems hard to believe the level of development can be sustained.

DC is also almost an opposite cyclical to most of the remaining US and has prospered during national downturns and under-performed during national booms

It seems like there are some on this site that cant forsee any possibility of downturn for DC - I think some may be to young to remember worse times

Like nearly all places these come in cycles. Even NYC had many soft/down times

It also seems like the sheer notion of a DC softening or downturn is somehow being negative. To me t more realist view as nearly all places have their ups and downs. DC will likely weather storm better than most places though

The growth in DC just does not seem sustainable to me in the current form and even looks to show signs of softening already

Washington, D.C. Second Most Preferred U.S. Investment Destination for Global Capital


D.C. seems to be rebounding despite Federal government cuts as I have predicted the last couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,370,145 times
Reputation: 10188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston will probably fall as well since the oil industry is cooling down. I'm surprised Seattle isn't up there since I've heard they've been getting a lot of Chinese investment.
This is the perfect time to invest in Houston because the oil industry is down. Eventually, it will pick back up and you can get a steal of a deal on just about anything here right now.

When we left Dallas, I sold my house for 30k more than it was worth. When we bought in Houston, we bought for 40k LESS than it was worth.

Works out perfectly to invest here now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2015, 04:11 AM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,661 posts, read 3,044,679 times
Reputation: 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Just let these folks think what they will. Everyone in D.C. actually knows that already. LOL....

We will still walk the D.C. streets everyday enjoying ourselves in our city not caring about what the rest of the nation is doing. They need to worry about their own cities.
Yes, despite recent statistics and a dose of serious overbuilding, it will always be the land of endless milk & honey. Any other U.S. cities will always pale in comparison, and D.C. is the absolute center of all things urban and superior to anyplace not called New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2015, 09:05 AM
 
9,597 posts, read 10,959,318 times
Reputation: 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, despite recent statistics and a dose of serious overbuilding, it will always be the land of endless milk & honey. Any other U.S. cities will always pale in comparison, and D.C. is the absolute center of all things urban and superior to anyplace not called New York.
No, not really. Just the extreme hate and envy displayed by people from other cities is at an all-time high. Notice how everyone praised D.C.'s slowdown thinking there is no innovation or intelligence moving the needle in D.C. and we have just been a bunch of leaches suckling the **** of American citizens, yet now through private sector growth and diversification of our economy, we are emerging from the ashes and not one "great" or "good to see DC doing well without Federal spending" or "DC seems to be reinventing themselves."

No, all we get is posts like yours and other similar posts. Well sir, your prayers have not been answered and your voodoo doll is not working. We have noticed this for the last 10 years in your articles, your comments, and all the underhanded statements the rest of you make about DC from around the nation. Always some type of shot fired. Ever read what the New York Times writes about our food and restaurant scene? My point is, you people make it personal.

Doesn't matter how much you hate DC or wish for it to fail, it's going to win! Doesn't matter how long you hold your breath with hope DC will someday be nuked off the face of the earth, it's still standing and taller than ever. It's resilient and that's the best thing about DC, we will continue to fight and we will continue to press forward despite the rest of you and your ill wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,661 posts, read 3,044,679 times
Reputation: 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No, not really. Just the extreme hate and envy displayed by people from other cities is at an all-time high. Notice how everyone praised D.C.'s slowdown thinking there is no innovation or intelligence moving the needle in D.C. and we have just been a bunch of leaches suckling the **** of American citizens, yet now through private sector growth and diversification of our economy, we are emerging from the ashes and not one "great" or "good to see DC doing well without Federal spending" or "DC seems to be reinventing themselves."

No, all we get is posts like yours and other similar posts. Well sir, your prayers have not been answered and your voodoo doll is not working. We have noticed this for the last 10 years in your articles, your comments, and all the underhanded statements the rest of you make about DC from around the nation. Always some type of shot fired. Ever read what the New York Times writes about our food and restaurant scene? My point is, you people make it personal.

Doesn't matter how much you hate DC or wish for it to fail, it's going to win! Doesn't matter how long you hold your breath with hope DC will someday be nuked off the face of the earth, it's still standing and taller than ever. It's resilient and that's the best thing about DC, we will continue to fight and we will continue to press forward despite the rest of you and your ill wishes.
And herein lies the real problem. All of your endless boasting and hyperbole combined with bashing of all other places leaves a very bad taste in everyone's mouth. You have created a strawman where none exists, as nobody wishes to see D.C. 'nuked off the face of the earth.'

Poor, poor pitiful and disrespected D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2015, 10:13 AM
 
9,597 posts, read 10,959,318 times
Reputation: 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And herein lies the real problem. All of your endless boasting and hyperbole combined with bashing of all other places leaves a very bad taste in everyone's mouth. You have created a strawman where none exists, as nobody wishes to see D.C. 'nuked off the face of the earth.'

Poor, poor pitiful and disrespected D.C.
So, because I said the most intense type of urban development uses zero lot development standards with no setback and comes right up to the street creating a streetwall, that is bashing a city? I know you're talking about Atlanta for one, and I don't bash Atlanta. Atlanta has zero lot development in their downtown. What is the most urban part of Atlanta? Downtown Atlanta! So, even you should see that to get the most urban built environment in Atlanta, you would need to duplicate downtown Atlanta's development style throughout the entire city where possible. Places that can't do that will just have to settle with not being urban to that extent. Why is that such a major issues? Being urban, as I have said before, is not the end all be all to making a city great. There are plenty of blighted cities that are very urban. I have said this before also. I want you to point me to the thread where I actually "bashed" a city versus just stated the actual urban development style of that city. If a city has single family homes, it has single family homes. Does it not? How is that bashing?

Now, if you feel inferior because your city may have single family homes, that is your own problem. That has nothing to do with how great your city is. I have no idea what your talking about with this whole bashing comment. I'm the last poster on here that should be accused of bashing cities. In fact, I rarely talk about other cities except when I have something nice to say. If I'm comparing two cities based on their built environment, it's all fact based and is based on design and urban development characteristics which are fact based, not subjective. That is not bashing a city. That is analysis of the built environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2015, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,370,145 times
Reputation: 10188
Dude, no one wants bad for DC the city.

I lived there for two years. Its a nice enough place and its very urban and has the 3rd most diverse/international populace after NY and LA. Its got its ups and its downs like anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 12:54 AM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,661 posts, read 3,044,679 times
Reputation: 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So, because I said the most intense type of urban development uses zero lot development standards with no setback and comes right up to the street creating a streetwall, that is bashing a city? I know you're talking about Atlanta for one, and I don't bash Atlanta. Atlanta has zero lot development in their downtown. What is the most urban part of Atlanta? Downtown Atlanta! So, even you should see that to get the most urban built environment in Atlanta, you would need to duplicate downtown Atlanta's development style throughout the entire city where possible. Places that can't do that will just have to settle with not being urban to that extent. Why is that such a major issues? Being urban, as I have said before, is not the end all be all to making a city great. There are plenty of blighted cities that are very urban. I have said this before also. I want you to point me to the thread where I actually "bashed" a city versus just stated the actual urban development style of that city. If a city has single family homes, it has single family homes. Does it not? How is that bashing?

Now, if you feel inferior because your city may have single family homes, that is your own problem. That has nothing to do with how great your city is. I have no idea what your talking about with this whole bashing comment. I'm the last poster on here that should be accused of bashing cities. In fact, I rarely talk about other cities except when I have something nice to say. If I'm comparing two cities based on their built environment, it's all fact based and is based on design and urban development characteristics which are fact based, not subjective. That is not bashing a city. That is analysis of the built environment.
You assume way too much about other places and the people that live in them, particularly when it comes to Atlanta.

There are ZERO inferior feelings from here regarding Atlanta compared to D.C., with the exception of rail infrastructure. It stops there.

Yet again, this is all on you and your perception issues of anyplace outside of your bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 AM
 
9,597 posts, read 10,959,318 times
Reputation: 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You assume way too much about other places and the people that live in them, particularly when it comes to Atlanta.

There are ZERO inferior feelings from here regarding Atlanta compared to D.C., with the exception of rail infrastructure. It stops there.

Yet again, this is all on you and your perception issues of anyplace outside of your bubble.
So what's the problem if that's the case? The only thing I've ever said about Atlanta is that there are single family homes running next to Midtown and downtown Atlanta. That's not bashing, that's the truth. I've never said anything else, so once again, what are you talking about? What's the problem? You keep saying that I've said all these horrible things, however, you haven't pointed out what I said that was so bad or untrue. Again, what are you talking about?

Unless you can point to something outside of me saying Atlanta has single family homes, you would be the one who is delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 AM
 
550 posts, read 369,487 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston will probably fall as well since the oil industry is cooling down. I'm surprised Seattle isn't up there since I've heard they've been getting a lot of Chinese investment.
Don't you ever get tired of predicting doom and gloom for that city? I mean, you may be right, but man, every thread about population or economic growth you point out the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top