U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:51 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,135,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns.

Larry Ellison spent $200 Million to build his house in the Bay Area.
Ellison Estate, Woodside, Calif. - In Photos: The World's Most Expensive Billionaire Homes - Forbes

#teamUSA

lol

Wow. 3 of those on the list are in the Bay Area.

Larry Ellison is a local, and has a house in the city. So I guess he doesn't count.

Yuri Milner is a Facebook investor and built his home as a second home, according to Forbes. I guess that means the Bay Area's economy DOES attract billionaires from other places! But that makes absolutely no sense, lol.

Masayoshi Son, a Japanese businessman (and CEO of Softbank, and Chairman of Sprint) had the other house. Looks to be a secondary home, as well. Softbank had a stake in Yahoo!.

So I guess being the global hub of technology CAN induce billionaires to buy secondary homes in the area!

Hahahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:54 PM

11,015 posts, read 21,568,106 times
Well I suppose cost of living is a factor in price. I'm sitting in NYC with my parents and they're laughing because we were watching a show about 4,500 square foot places in Manhattan going for $9,000,000 where the insides were virtually identical to luxury places for sale in their hometown of Iowa City for around $525,000.

Obviously what you're going to get OUTSIDE the apartment in Manhattan is completely different from Iowa City and fully explains the price difference, but even for the $16,000,000 penthouse suite that was 7,000 square feet with 4 bedrooms and 6 baths with all the fixins - I've looked at luxury homes for sale in Des Moines that look almost the same (although with massive manicured outdoor spaces) for around $1,100,000.

Cost of living and demand means a ton when you're talking price alone. The actual houses can't really be compared, you're just looking at the level of demand for a place for the most part.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:01 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,479,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Hahahahaha
So many forced and nervous laughs from Bay Area (you and Montclair) shoe shiners.

No one said the Bay Area didn't attract foreign billionaires, just at a much much much much ..... much .... smaller rate than Miami. That's why Miami is 6 and San Francisco is 19, despite the fact San Francisco has more home generated billionaires it couldn't overcome her lack of sex appeal.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:01 PM
J R J R started this thread

49 posts, read 36,447 times
Quote:
Wow. 3 of those on the list are in the Bay Area.

Larry Ellison is a local, and has a house in the city. So I guess he doesn't count.

Yuri Milner is a Facebook investor and built his home as a second home, according to Forbes. I guess that means the Bay Area's economy DOES attract billionaires from other places! But that makes absolutely no sense, lol.

Masayoshi Son, a Japanese businessman (and CEO of Softbank, and Chairman of Sprint) had the other house. Looks to be a secondary home, as well. Softbank had a stake in Yahoo!.

So I guess being the global hub of technology CAN induce billionaires to buy secondary homes in the area!

Hahahahaha
I think it has been established that the only interest anyone of the magnitude has with San Francisco is business opportunitues. Otherwise, no one cares about it. Telling that they're all connected to tech. San Francisco is simply not a desirable, glamorous, coveted dream destination. Sorry.

LOL and when was that list from, 2007?

Honey, catch up:

Most expensive homes sold since January 1, 2014, >$40MM.

1. 60 Further Lane, East Hampton, NY - $147mm
2. Copper Beech Farm, Greenwich, CT. $120mm
3. 157 West 57th Street #90, New York, NY $100.5mm
3. Fleur de Lys, Holmby Hills, CA $88mm
4. Wooldon Manor, Southampton, NY. $80mm
5. 834 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY $80mm
6. The Carolwood Estate, Holmby Hills, CA. $74mm
7. 740 Park Ave., New York, NY $71.3mm
8. 960 Fifth Ave., New York, NY $70mm
9. 1108 North Hillcrest Drive, Beverly Hills, CA. $70mm
10. 781 5th Avenue #18 New York, NY $67.5mm
11. 27852 Pacific Coast Hwy Malibu, CA $60mm
12. 157 West 57th Street, #82 New York, N.Y $56.1mm
13. 157 West 57th Street, #85 New York, N.Y $55.6mm
14. 157 West 57th Street, #86 New York, N.Y $55.5mm
15. 101 Lily Pond Ln, East Hampton NY $55mm
16. 157 West 57th Street, #80 New York, N.Y $52.95mm
17. 157 West 57th Street #84 New York, NY $52.9mm
18. 157 West 57th Street #79 New York, NY $50mm
19. 113-115 East 70th Street New York, NY $51MM
20. 157 West 57th Street #78, New York, N.Y $50.92mm
21. 212 W. 18th Street PH1, New York, N.Y. $50.9mm
22. 19 E. 70th Street, New York, N.Y. $50.25mm
23. West End Road, East Hampton, N.Y. $50mm
24. 616 Nimes Rd., Los Angeles, CA 90077 $46.5mm
25. East 61st Street #Ph New York, NY $52mm
26. 601 N country Rd Palm Beach, FL $52mm
27. 360 S Mapleton Dr, Los Angeles, CA $49mm
28. 15 Central Park West Apt 18 New York, NY $48mm
29.. 3 Indian Creek Indian Creek, FL $47mm
30. 27 Christopher Street, New York, NY $45MM
31. 10231 Charing Cross Rd, Los Angeles, CA $45mm
32. 271 S Mapleton Dr, Los Angeles, CA $44mm
33. East 22nd Street PH New York, NY $43mm
34. 125 E 70th St New York, NY $42mm
35. 540 S Ocean Blvd Palm Beach, FL $42.9mm
36. 802 Greenwich Street, New York, NY $42.5MM
38. 1220 S Ocean Blvd Palm Beach, FL $42mm
39. 50 Central Park West #12 New York, NY $42mm
40. 576 Meadow Lane, Southampton, NY $41mm
41. 212 W 18th St PH 2 New York, NY $40.7mm
42. 12780 Chalon Rd, Los Angeles, CA $40mm
43. 125 Mid Ocean Drive, Bridgehampton NY $40mm

When this closes, I'll be sure to update this list:
Penthouse At Miami's Faena House In Contract For $60 Million (Over $7,000 Per Square Foot)

If I went to the $30mm range, it would be NY, LA and Miami dominance. And still not a single Bay Area sale

The people have spoken, and San Francisco is undoubtedly not in fashion. At all. Ugh. I know, after these years of convincing yourself that you live in a city coveted by the upwardly mobile global elite, here I come shattering your self-esteem. Bad me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns.

#teamUSA

lol
#dlist

And about Larry Ellison and Yuri

That $200mm rumor sounds sounds cute and all, but here I come with those darn facts:

(a) Forbes did a follow-up that story about Yurli Milner's home value and found out he overpaid by 100%, lol. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, sav858. Even the county of Santa Clara finds it amusing that someone would pay even 50% of that in somewhere as pedestrian and as drab as that place. Minus 1.

(b) Larry Ellison spent nowhere near $200mm to build his house. The structure is currently valued at $55mm. So he paid far less than what the rumors said he paid, according to assessed values. Minus 2.

http://www.city-data.com/san-mateo-c...me-Road-6.html

Yea, so you're going to have to try again

Last edited by J R; 03-31-2015 at 06:29 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 06:05 PM

What was that rep you sent to anonymous elitist, JR, I'm curious

Old 03-31-2015, 06:34 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,135,870 times
There are lots of major economies out there that lead to wealth creation:

Tech
Biotech
Finance
Manufacturing
Entertainment
Energy
Real Estate
Construction
Trade
Consumer Goods
Agriculture

SF can legitimately say it's a global player in lots of those, if not all of those sectors. Miami? Aside from real estate and trade, what does it have as a home base industry that leads to extreme wealth creation on the private side?

So to say people are only interested in having a place in the Bay Area because they want to be involved in tech is nonsense. Some of the wealthiest people in the Bay Area are in the finance and real estate world. Others have founded F500 firms, of which the Bay Area has the most outside of NYC. Still others are people like George Lucas, who is one of the biggest names in "Hollywood", except LucasFilm and LucasArts are based in SF in and Lucas himself lives in Marin. You have old names like Hearst and Getty, families who still reside in SF and made their fortune on media and oil. The old money set in SF is well connected to elite families around the world. The Rothschilds have long been associated with the area, as have other families, including several royal families.

I would say this combination of home grown wealth created out of a super diverse range of things attracts a slew of people from around the world who want to be involved and connected in some way. Doesn't hurt to have Pebble Beach and Napa in your backyard, either.

What you won't find are private jet routes to third world countries run by drug cartels and/or dictators. Those people WOULDN'T have anything to do in the Bay Area, wouldn't be able to make friends with the business community (heck the entire SF business community practically just boycotted IN, and that's IN, not Venezuela), nor would they likely be able to find refuge in one of the world's hubs of extreme liberal (and libertarian) politics/culture.

Furthermore, the #1 air traffic route in the world is actually SF-LA. Even though these two metros each contain an absurd amount of extreme wealth (each far more than the entire state of FL), I guess UHNWI flying between the two cities fly commercial, including Southwest! Ha

Before this gets to be even more of a time waste, JR, congratulations, you're going on my ignore list!

Last edited by anonelitist; 03-31-2015 at 06:46 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Before this gets to be even more of a time waste, JR, congratulations, you're going on my ignore list!
You have to love the Bay Area posters style of debating right here, get in some argument (as silly as that one was) and then quickly put you on the ignore list

Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
You have to love the Bay Area posters style of debating right here, get in some argument (as silly as that one was) and then quickly put you on the ignore list

Right.

The bitterness is coming from someone, and it isn't exactly me. Why is the Bay Area even mentioned in this thread? The title of this thread is "cities with the most ultra-luxury real estate", and San Francisco isn't one of them. Have we seen anyone from Atlanta, Philadelphia, San Diego, Washington, Seattle, Boston - all great cities - jump into this thread with all guns blazing with anger and excuses on why perform relatively poorly? The only ones smashing on their keyboards are San Franciscans who are going into lengthy novels and blaming it on these alleged "secret sales" (lololol) in the Bay Area.

San Francisco in a nutshell. Fragile egos. The most aware of where they live. People there seem to badly want to be like certain cities, but unfortunately it will never happen.

We need to do a case study on San Franciscans and figure out why they have such delusions of grandeur.

I'm sorry I have to be the one to say it but I'll say it again -- San Francisco simply doesn't have global appeal to the upwardly mobile super-rich. The same can be said of most cities. Again, why are San Franciscans the only ones who are up in arms about this? LOL.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:03 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,504,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J R View Post
Why is the Bay Area even mentioned in this thread?
Gee, I dunno.. maybe try reading the first few posts of this thread.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
What was that rep you sent to anonymous elitist, JR, I'm curious
Can't imagine wasting my time sending a rep to someone like that lol

At this point, I just feel sorry for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or