U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 141 62.67%
North Carolina 84 37.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2015, 07:49 AM

4,229 posts, read 4,114,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The accusation of "cherrypicking" usually means you don't have much of a counter. Obama still would have received a low share of the non-Hispanic White vote when including Atlanta.

Virginia - 39%
North Carolina - 35%
Tennessee - 34%
South Carolina - 26%
Georgia - 23%
Mississippi - 11%
Alabama - 10%

So non-Hispanic Whites in Georgia, as a whole, gave Obama less support than Whites did in neighboring South Carolina, yet Georgia is supposed to be soooooo different from Alabama? Okay. LOL.

Politically, it would be much more like South Carolina. They're not that culturally different anyway.

Mmm hmm. I guess opinions and wishful thinking is the other part of it?

If I had to pick any Southern state to compare Georgia to, it would be South Carolina or Alabama. Perhaps that's because Georgia has always been known as a Deep South state whereas North Carolina wasn't. And this effort to say "Oh, Georgia wasn't neaaaaarrly as bad as Alabama when it came to race relations" is downright ridiculous as Georgia had more lynchings than any state in the Union other than Mississippi.
Theirs a lot errors in this.... I address them below

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Interesting map of lynchings during the period from 1901 to 1931. The first number is the Black population of the state in 1930. The number in parentheses is the number of lynchings.

Georgia - 1,071,152 (302)
Mississippi - 1,009,718 (285)
Alabama - 944,834 (133)
South Carolina - 793,681 (58)
North Carolina - 918,647 (35)
Virginia - 650,165 (28)

Lynching Map: Tuskegee Institute's data on lynching from 1900-1931.

It's not cherry picking it just pointless, it's splitting hairs.

Georgia was a larger and a more populated state and addition to having more blacks, the more populous or larger percentage of blacks equal to the equation of more discrimation and more turmoil not because one state was super more progressive then the more. Also you timing ironic 1930's... because by the 1960's. racial claim was different. While the civil right movement happen in all southern states NC and GA included Nothing like the Birmingham campaign, The March from Salem, The Mongretry Buss boycott happen in GA..... While MS and AL where basically battle grounds during the civil right movement. Bull Connor's Birmingham was much diffrent than William B. Hartsfield's Atlanta "City too busy to hate" in the 60's.

But as a whole the discussion is pointless, Blacks did not leave GA to go to NC, blacks also left NC to move up north. NC is not Massachusetts, NC is extremely, extremely, extremely, extremely closer Georgia than The Northeast.

In fact NC has extremely more in common with AL then Massachusetts......... Again it's pointless. NC was a slave state, it join the CSA, it later had Jim Cow laws. What does this sound like yall?

NC is not a liberal state it's swinging redstate not to far off from Georgia. they literally in the same area, NC barely went blue in 2008, it barely went red in 2014. GA barely went red in both 2008, and 2012. The different between red and blue is less than 7% in both states. Democratic strategist watches GA as possible swing state. AL on the other hand there's 22% difference between red and blue.

--------------------------

I separate the South Atlantic............ East South Central........... West South Central states.

With exception of Nashville and OKC somewhat, After the 70's The progressive growing Southern states, cities form a clear pattern.

It's Texas or the South Atlantic states. The elephant in room is SC which kinda like a Southern NJ. Your correct GA does have more in common with SC than AL, at the same time NC has more in common with SC than VA...... The big NC cities are closer culturally and develop like ATL than DC, Hampton Roads or even Richmond. Historically Atlanta did have a lot common with Birmingham again they both gilded age southern cities they was the southern answer to Midwestern cities. But Birmingham after the 60's slow down when industry fell. While Atlanta transformed into a Sunbelt city. Today Atlanta as a Sunbelt city it has more in common with NC cities than Birmingham.

Outside of Columbus and maybe Albany, GA has more common with the Carolinas than AL...... See what I did there...... SC is obviously a culture bridge. half on Charlotte MSA is in SC, half on Augusta MSA is in SC. The low country is GA and SC coast. I believe the Savanah MSA and Hilton Head SC MSA are going to join as CSA when the port of Savannah is expanded.

SC has no major cities but that's subject to change, The Greenville SC MSA 862,432 between ATL and Charlotte alone I-85 is now the largest MSA in the state out growing Columbia. it's only 140k short of a million, It grew 40k since 2010. And the larger CSA of upstate SC is 1.4 million. The Piedmont cities actually expand to Birmingham. But Birmingham is growing a lot slower where Atlanta though Raleigh it's clear these cities are link cultural by growth and progression. In general SC is now the 10th fastest growing state.

-------

This is not random.......

NC, SC and GA the lowest colony states, All have smaller historic colonial cities Savannah GA, Brunswick GA, Charleston SC, Wilmington NC and etc..... Charlotte, Augusta and etc were founded pre revolution.

NC, SC and GA Piedmont and Mountain regions were home to first gold rushes. The US federal government started Charlotte and Dahlonega Mint respectively, now default.

NC, SC and GA strangely rather than the coast they have their largest MSA are on the piedmont, than the coast. They are the fast Growing Southern states, outside FL and TX..... GA and NC South Atlantic states are more populous then the interior south.

Metro competition, regional victories - Upstate Business Journal

http://admin.bhbl.neric.org/~mmosall...20Colonies.jpg

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...es/usaregb.gif

http://www.yourwildlife.org/wp-conte...nta_figure.jpg
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 AM

27,724 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
SC has no major cities but that's subject to change, The Greenville SC MSA 862,432 between ATL and Charlotte alone I-85 is now the largest MSA in the state out growing Columbia.
Just a quick point of clarification: prior to the 2003 revisions, Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson were all one MSA and had a population of a little over a million, the largest in SC. Then all three were split into separate MSAs and Columbia's was the largest. In 2013, Anderson's MSA was merged with Greenville's, thus giving Greenville the status of state's largest MSA once more. So it's really not a case of Greenville "overtaking" Columbia to become the largest MSA, but more of a reversal to its previous status as a multinodal MSA. Growth rates are essentially the same in metro Columbia and the Upstate; it's the coast (Charleston and Myrtle Beach) where the real boom is occurring growth wise.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:22 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Extreme North Georgia = TN, NC
Eastern Georgia = SC
Western Georgia = AL
Extreme South Georgia = North FL

Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,858,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Extreme North Georgia = TN, NC
Eastern Georgia = SC
Western Georgia = AL
Extreme South Georgia = North FL
Sounds about right to me

Old 03-31-2015, 09:46 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,986,909 times
IMO, Georgia is more similar to South Carolina over Alabama and North Carolina. However, you can probably draw more similarities between the Atlanta metro, Charlotte, and Raleigh/Durham over any metro in South Carolina or Alabama. Counties like DeKalb, Gwinnett, and Cobb in Georgia really aren't too different from North Carolina counties like Mecklenburg, Wake, Union, Cabarrus, etc. Anyone agree or disagree?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:52 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,858,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
IMO, Georgia is more similar to South Carolina over Alabama and North Carolina. However, you can probably draw more similarities between the Atlanta metro, Charlotte, and Raleigh/Durham over any metro in South Carolina or Alabama. Counties like DeKalb, Gwinnett, and Cobb in Georgia really aren't too different from North Carolina counties like Mecklenburg, Wake, Union, Cabarrus, etc. Anyone agree or disagree?
I can agree with this South GA is much like SC.Middle to North GA is more like NC.
West GA is more in common with AL

Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 AM

27,724 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I can agree with this South GA is much like SC.Middle to North GA is more like NC.
West GA is more in common with AL
I think the Piedmont running through GA, SC, and NC is all pretty similar.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 AM

4,229 posts, read 4,114,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Just a quick point of clarification: prior to the 2003 revisions, Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson were all one MSA and had a population of a little over a million, the largest in SC. Then all three were split into separate MSAs and Columbia's was the largest. In 2013, Anderson's MSA was merged with Greenville's, thus giving Greenville the status of state's largest MSA once more. So it's really not a case of Greenville "overtaking" Columbia to become the largest MSA, but more of a reversal to its previous status as a multinodal MSA. Growth rates are essentially the same in metro Columbia and the Upstate; it's the coast (Charleston and Myrtle Beach) where the real boom is occurring growth wise.
I see what your saying, but I kind of associate upstate SC as a whole together anyways I was saying Greenville because it's the largest city. Kind of like I do with The triad and the Triangle in NC.

So this still goes with my point The Upstate is still the most populous part of the state. but even my greater point regardless of what CSA or MSA is growing the fastest SC is the 10 fastest growing state.

The South Atlantic states in general really GA, NC, FL and VA, are the more populous southern states outside of Texas. Also with Growth, Diversity, Urbanization, political climate. and history there's a clear pattern. NC and GA share characteristic of the South Atlantic.

All states share characteristic so GA does share things with AL but just see The South Atlantic vs. Central Southern states vs, Texas as more accurate then Deep south vs upper South. It's out date and was more appropriate a 100 years ago.

Last edited by chiatldal; 03-31-2015 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the Piedmont running through GA, SC, and NC is all pretty similar.
Same with Virginia to a lesser extent, at least south of Charlottesville or so.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 AM

Of course it's still southern, but I'd also call Georgia an East Coast state. Just like South Carolina, obviously very southern but also East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City