U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 141 62.67%
North Carolina 84 37.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 PM
 
11,926 posts, read 9,664,925 times
Reputation: 16333

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
East Coast USA also known as Atlantic Coast, Atlantic Seaboard, or Eastern Seaboard. Is Florida or Georgia etc East Coast?

Some poster named Spicymeatball made me laugh out loud literally with their comment.

Anyway, my views have always been like post #14 in that thread: East Coast is made up of Northeast (New England, NY, NJ, and PA), Mid-Atlantic, and Southeast (Southern states on the Atlantic).

For some crazy reason, some people think the "East Coast" and "Northeast" are synonymous and like to call the Southern part of the East Coast simply "the South," not the East Coast. Boggles my mind, too. The East Coast runs from Maine to Florida and though they're not coastal, also includes Vermont and Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2015, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Mobile,Al(the city by the bay)
3,631 posts, read 6,133,603 times
Reputation: 1467
From what I see Ga had a larger population of blacks than Alabama and more lynchings which it should be with a larger black population. Now the irony is that when you group 3 states to equal or have more of a black population as Ga but Ga still blows the 3 states in the water regarding lynchings.The civil rights era was the last of it's kind but did not last as long as the era of lynchings. So to sum it up Ga had more lynchings than Alabama because they had a larger black population but if you were to group 3 or 4 states to equal Ga's black population Ga would still reign and did.

Also Ga has a very large KKK presence and yes it's larger than Alabama's because of the population gap but it is also larger than other states that are the same size and larger such as Florida.

Tennesse is closer population wise and even has a city that is said to be a missing Mississippi city and shared Civil Rights fame with Birmingham.Even with all of that Georgia still has more in common and has a simular feel outside of Atlanata to Alabama than Tennesse does.

Last edited by PortCity; 03-31-2015 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,004,992 times
Reputation: 1605
Well Tennessee is probably more similar to Kentucky and North Carolina over any other state, so I don't know why we're bringing Tennessee up.

Georgia had more lynchings, but it didn't really have the horrific events during the Civil Rights Movement like Alabama. For example, the Freedom Rides of 1961 actually didn't run into major trouble or violence in Georgia, complete opposite for Alabama. However, Mississippi was truly the worst state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 10:08 PM
 
17 posts, read 16,372 times
Reputation: 22
Georgia without Atlanta is Alabama but you can't blame them just look at the states it is surrounded by. North Carolina is closer to Virginia. The biggest difference between Georgia and North Carolina is Education along with population distribution.

North Carolina has more people with Bachelor's degrees or higher than Georgia. North Carolina also attracts more college graduates. While Georgia is said to be attracted less educated people. North Carolina has Duke, Davidson, Wake Forest, and Chapel Hill. Georgia does have Emory, Georgia Tech, and UGA. All are great schools but the most Liberal ones are by far North Carolina. This is the reason why Obama won it in 2008.

Next is how population is divided. Georgia is only Atlanta like Illinois is Chicago, Nevada is Las Vegas, and Colorado is Denver. Without Atlanta Georgia is pretty much country. North Carolina has 3 metros pushing 1 million (Metrolina, Triangle, and Triad) along with 2 metros pushing more than 1/2 million (Asheville and Fayetteville). All of the areas are attracting transplant and growing moderately fast. Everybody in Georgia just want to live in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Closer than you think!
2,104 posts, read 3,174,293 times
Reputation: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10039449 View Post
Georgia without Atlanta is Alabama but you can't blame them just look at the states it is surrounded by. North Carolina is closer to Virginia. The biggest difference between Georgia and North Carolina is Education along with population distribution.

North Carolina has more people with Bachelor's degrees or higher than Georgia. North Carolina also attracts more college graduates. While Georgia is said to be attracted less educated people. North Carolina has Duke, Davidson, Wake Forest, and Chapel Hill. Georgia does have Emory, Georgia Tech, and UGA. All are great schools but the most Liberal ones are by far North Carolina. This is the reason why Obama won it in 2008.

Next is how population is divided. Georgia is only Atlanta like Illinois is Chicago, Nevada is Las Vegas, and Colorado is Denver. Without Atlanta Georgia is pretty much country. North Carolina has 3 metros pushing 1 million (Metrolina, Triangle, and Triad) along with 2 metros pushing more than 1/2 million (Asheville and Fayetteville). All of the areas are attracting transplant and growing moderately fast. Everybody in Georgia just want to live in Atlanta.

Georgia without Atlanta is taking 60% of the population so from the state so of course it would be a different state. NC does have more middle sized metros but they're much smaller than Atlanta. Atlanta happens to be the capital or "go to" city in the south so of course people want to live there.

Correction to the country state...Georgia and North Carolina are both southern states even with Atlanta and the smaller metros in NC so both states are comparable to Alabama in that regard.

Georgia and North Carolina are also like South Carolina and Alabama when it comes to the important facts: GDP, Population, growth rate, and both have an argument for the south's "premier" state sans Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 11:05 PM
 
4,228 posts, read 4,130,476 times
Reputation: 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
From what I see Ga had a larger population of blacks than Alabama and more lynchings which it should be with a larger black population. Now the irony is that when you group 3 states to equal or have more of a black population as Ga but Ga still blows the 3 states in the water regarding lynchings.The civil rights era was the last of it's kind but did not last as long as the era of lynchings. So to sum it up Ga had more lynchings than Alabama because they had a larger black population but if you were to group 3 or 4 states to equal Ga's black population Ga would still reign and did.

Also Ga has a very large KKK presence and yes it's larger than Alabama's because of the population gap but it is also larger than other states that are the same size and larger such as Florida.

Tennesse is closer population wise and even has a city that is said to be a missing Mississippi city and shared Civil Rights fame with Birmingham.Even with all of that Georgia still has more in common and has a simular feel outside of Atlanata to Alabama than Tennesse does.
Not really..I looking at the ratio to black to white, Also the general size of a state. not it self the population of blacks.

States that where 1 to 1 black and white where more hostile. than states that were 1 to 2. Jim crow laws where meant to disfranchise blacks, in states that where 1 to 1 their was tension more disfranchisement to offset they are not 1 to 2. There was no more torrable southern states than more they all had Jim crow laws. Southern states had different ratio and overall different population. Georgia was significant because it was both had a balance 1 to 1 black to white, and was the most populous state in the southeast.

it's not ironic Georgia general population was larger than AL altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,885,216 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
From what I see Ga had a larger population of blacks than Alabama and more lynchings which it should be with a larger black population. Now the irony is that when you group 3 states to equal or have more of a black population as Ga but Ga still blows the 3 states in the water regarding lynchings.The civil rights era was the last of it's kind but did not last as long as the era of lynchings. So to sum it up Ga had more lynchings than Alabama because they had a larger black population but if you were to group 3 or 4 states to equal Ga's black population Ga would still reign and did.

Also Ga has a very large KKK presence and yes it's larger than Alabama's because of the population gap but it is also larger than other states that are the same size and larger such as Florida.

Tennesse is closer population wise and even has a city that is said to be a missing Mississippi city and shared Civil Rights fame with Birmingham.Even with all of that Georgia still has more in common and has a simular feel outside of Atlanata to Alabama than Tennesse does.
GA has a large number of hate groups but not per capita.
Again there are more people in GA hence more Hate Groups.
Yet according to this SC ranks in the top5 and AL ranks in the top 10.
GA us 17th after New Jersey,but closer to NC in hate crimes per capita.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/17234931-post58.html

Hate Map | Southern Poverty Law Center

Even when you look at a hate crime map GA has just 4 more groups than NC but Alabama has much less than both with Texas having the most.Again its because of larger population but you saw the list for per capita and GA is much closer to NC than SC and AL by far.

I swear I am not trying to insult anybody from or lives in AL.I think its a fine place to live but its not for me because if Atlanta was not in GA,I dont think I would live here.
That something I wont to elaborate on too:I could live ANY where in GA as long as I have access to Atlanta.I have thought long and hard about moving to Savannah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 PM
 
935 posts, read 444,863 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
For some crazy reason, some people think the "East Coast" and "Northeast" are synonymous and like to call the Southern part of the East Coast simply "the South," not the East Coast. Boggles my mind, too. The East Coast runs from Maine to Florida and though they're not coastal, also includes Vermont and Pennsylvania.
Yeah, it really is strange (and comical) that people only refer to part of the Atlantic Coast as the East Coast or deny people south of VA.....or they may omit NC, SC, and GA but say that South FLA is "East Coast." It is strange to hear a Southerner say that "Savannah is not East Coast, it's Southern" and I would find it really odd but funny to hear someone from PA claim that a state like NC isn't "East Coast." (I appreciate great irony).

But yeah, most people use it as a synonym for the Northeast or a phrase that means "Northeast like" but then loose definitions start creeping in with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 11:43 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,004,992 times
Reputation: 1605
More and more people are starting to refer Raleigh as "more East Coast than southern" which deals with all the transplants in the Research Triangle, mainly from areas north of North Carolina along the East Coast (NY, NJ, PA, MD, etc). Same story with South Florida, people won't call it southern but they'll call it "East Coast." In this case, I believe it means "Northeast like" although the Raleigh area is certainly still southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 12:26 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,885,216 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10039449 View Post
Georgia without Atlanta is Alabama but you can't blame them just look at the states it is surrounded by. North Carolina is closer to Virginia. The biggest difference between Georgia and North Carolina is Education along with population distribution.

North Carolina has more people with Bachelor's degrees or higher than Georgia. North Carolina also attracts more college graduates. While Georgia is said to be attracted less educated people. North Carolina has Duke, Davidson, Wake Forest, and Chapel Hill. Georgia does have Emory, Georgia Tech, and UGA. All are great schools but the most Liberal ones are by far North Carolina. This is the reason why Obama won it in 2008.

Next is how population is divided. Georgia is only Atlanta like Illinois is Chicago, Nevada is Las Vegas, and Colorado is Denver. Without Atlanta Georgia is pretty much country. North Carolina has 3 metros pushing 1 million (Metrolina, Triangle, and Triad) along with 2 metros pushing more than 1/2 million (Asheville and Fayetteville). All of the areas are attracting transplant and growing moderately fast. Everybody in Georgia just want to live in Atlanta.
Stop making up stuff with your supicious 7 post.
Grad RT and rank BA degree/rank Advanced Degree and rank
North Carolina 84.3% 36 26.5% 25 8.8% 31

Georgia 83.9% 38 27.5% 20 9.9% 21
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nal_attainment

Georgia also has Spelman and Morehouse College which are two of the finest HBCU in the country and if you ignire them as if they are irrelevant due the fact they have literally more famous Americans who just happen to be black than many of the schools in the top 50 then thats your ignorance and arrogance.

Not mention it also has schools like Agnes Scott College,Berry College and Oglethorpe University which are high ranking liberal Arts colleges.

Then why is Savannah,Athens,Valdosta,Columbus,Warner Robins,Perry,etc...growing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top