U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 141 62.67%
North Carolina 84 37.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 PM
 
920 posts, read 440,165 times
Reputation: 895

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well, I just think East Coast is too broad a term. I doubt when someone in Kansas City says East Coast they think Savannah or Charleston. Imo Charleston and Savannah have far more in common with a place like Mobile, AL than Boston or Philadelphia. The people that live in those cities make all the differnce rather than colonial history. The people of Mobile, Savannah and Charleston all share the deep south culture.
That's why I don't really mess with this colloquial term and go literal because it gets messy. I use to live in VA and those same people from Kansas City would call Richmond, Hampton Roads, Charlottesville, and Northern VA East Coast in a heartbeat.

If someone means Northeast, just say Northeast. Say this out loud, "A US city on the Atlantic Coast and observing Eastern Standard time is not East Coast....It is Deep South."

So, would that person from Kansas City be perplexed if he/she read East Coast Ports Prepare for Megaships?

This subject is kind of like a debate that I had with a friend of mine, she didn't see Brazilians as Latin American because they didn't speak Spanish. Spanish, like the Northeast is at the forefront of people's mind when they hear the term but that doesn't exclude the other. That's all that I'm saying. Also, that person from K.C. really needs to check a map (that's like me saying "Seattle isn't West Coast, it's Pacific Northwest" because it isn't like LA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2015, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Thanks for helping me prove my point.Tennessee was asked to come to court to help testify. Memphis shares civil Rights history with Birmingham and is said to be an Offspring of Mississippi which is compared to Alabama 70% of the time.Even with all of that charecteristicly and over all feel Ga still is more comparable to Alabama.Ga has Atlanata which would lean it toward North Carolina but Atlanta is only a section of Georgia.

HUH?MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL!
And I would rather deal with the Civil Rights era rather than the much more expansive era of lynchings eapecially when the ratio is greater than 3 states that equal in black population.

Also another point I would like to make is that do you guys really believe that if Atlanta was never erected in Georgia do you really believe that Georgia would still have 5 million residents or more ?

I don't ! I have only met a good number of Atlantians who agree with me on this but those whoblive in other cities such as Macin don't. My belief is that when people think of Atlanta they think of Georgia and Atlanta is the face of Georgia.Yes Savannah is popular and is a tourist meca but it is not the face of Ga and is not the first city to come to mind. Other areas of Ga are growing because of Atlanta ,that's my belief.If Atlanta would have had the same sucess in Mississippi that state probably would be around 10 million.

YEs!For the very reasons I listed previously.Military being number one.You have diverse groups of people and their families in areas that were not.It changes everything in a city.Especially if its a smaller city.

You obviously lnow nothing about GA.At least not enough to have an informed opinion.
Also these reasons:

University of GA and University of NC both claim title to oldest Land Grant Institution
NC and GA both claim the nations first Gold Rush.
Both NC and GA have schools like Emory and Duke University.
Both have several military installations that have some of highest active duty population than any city in the US.


GA has one of the biggest ports in the U.S.

Columbus hAs Aflac,Carmike Cinesmas,and TSYS
Savannah has Gulfstream,JCB International
What F50o companies are headquartered in MS?And what F500 company other than Regions has headwaters in any Alabama city?What about top private companies?
GA owns the Flooring industry in Nort Georgia,NC owns furniture manufacturing and textiles which is also been traditionally the biggest in rge U.S.
They both share the Atlantic
They both had less civil rights disputes and both are "purple" states
They both are almost identical in population

Yet the main thing I hear from you and Bajan is more white votes for Obama" and "number of lynchings".
Which still makes no sense when I still dont see by even percentage wise per residents, GA had less than AL.A link was even given with the statistic.
Why you guys think it has some bearing on anything how these states are similar today by ignring the total reality because you mae no sense trying to remove Atlanta when Atlanta has influenced the entire Southeast which stands to reason that if you cant see how another GA city could have popped up or why then how would you know Atlanta's success had little effect on the neighboring states in trying to emulate that success?
You dont.

Last edited by afonega1; 04-02-2015 at 12:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
183 posts, read 172,944 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's actually a fairly good measure. I can't think of a better barometer for the general attitude towards Blacks other than Whites going out and killing them.



And in this respect, Georgia was different from Alabama how exactly?

I'm sorry, but the number of lynchings says a lot about the culture of the state. And the states with the highest number of lynchings were the same states with the weakest Obama support. There were only three states with weaker Obama support than Georgia: Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Why do you think that is?

I mean, doesn't Georgia have way more "Yankees" than South Carolina? If that is the case, then why did Obama receive a lower share of the non-Hispanic White vote than in a supposedly redneck state like South Carolina? What does that say about your electorate?
Still not buying your lynching to voting correlation. And, I don't know why the four states mentioned had the weakest Obama support. Maybe, more people in those states vote along traditional party lines. Louisiana has voted in a Republican governor of Asian-Indian descent, who has beat out several white gubernatorial competitors.

Your view of social attitudes within the South comes across as very myopic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Alabama!
5,802 posts, read 15,484,564 times
Reputation: 4272
IMHO, people who think Georgia has more in common with NC than AL have spent most of their time in the Atlanta area and North Georgia and are clueless about the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 01:02 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,116,905 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's actually a fairly good measure. I can't think of a better barometer for the general attitude towards Blacks other than Whites going out and killing them.



And in this respect, Georgia was different from Alabama how exactly?

I'm sorry, but the number of lynchings says a lot about the culture of the state. And the states with the highest number of lynchings were the same states with the weakest Obama support. There were only three states with weaker Obama support than Georgia: Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Why do you think that is?

I mean, doesn't Georgia have way more "Yankees" than South Carolina? If that is the case, then why did Obama receive a lower share of the non-Hispanic White vote than in a supposedly redneck state like South Carolina? What does that say about your electorate?
1. This failed in so many ways first off your ignoring Georgia is nearly a swing state, Obama barely lost both times, as oppose to AL and MS where he lost both times by a was larger margin. While Obama barely won NC once, and he lost the other, why? because NC overall is not liberal state, it moderate leaning red state.

2. The next thing your going wrong is equating not supporting Obama equal racism. It's funny you brought up transplants because one of the most conservative poster in the Atlanta forums is from Boston. North is more liberal dominate by north does has conservatives as the south has liberals. A transplant can be liberal or conservative.

Georgia is projected to become a swing state
Why Georgia May Be Bluer Than It Appears

3. Your basically ignoring the minority population, like blacks, asians, Hispanic has no voice in the culture of the state. White non Hispanics only make 54.8 of Georgia. So I guess your ignoring 45.2% of the state I guess they don't exist. Hispanic 9.2 is not only larger than MS 1.1, AL 2%... but larger but comparable to NC 8.9% comparable. GA hispanic population is higher than all Midwestern states. Georgia has one of the growing Asian and latino population growth. But guess non of that matter because you only care to extame the non Hispanic white vote as if non Hispanic white if solo factor determining the state culture and the 45% Minority population doesn't exist.

81% of GA growth is minority
Is most of Georgia's population growth from minorities? | PolitiFact Georgia

Blacks, Hispanics lead metro population growth | www.ajc.com

Nevada, Arizona, North Carolina, North Dakota and Georgia represented the top five states with the most growth. "Asian population growth"
U.S. Census Show Asians Are Fastest Growing Racial Group : The Two-Way : NPR


http://clatl.com/imager/b/original/1...zing5-1_11.jpg

-------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So here are the explanations/rationalisations/rebuttals to these two facts.

Fact: Georgia had more lynchings than any state other than Alabama.

Response: Georgia had more Black people and population than those other states.

Counterpoint: Georgia had more lynchings than three of the largest states in the South combined.

Fact: Obama received a lower share of the non-Hispanic White vote in Georgia than he did in South Carolina.

Response: That's only because Georgia has a lot of military bases. These military personnel all vote Republican and drove the white share way below it normally would be.

Counterpoint: Active duty and civilian military personnel make up 2.2% and 1.9% of the population in Georgia and South Carolina, respectively. Not a material difference. Georgia also has more transplants than South Carolina (and is also the more urbanized state), which theoretically means it should be more Democratic.
ok let look what really just happen.. The Magenta color wording is a start of a straw man.


"Fact: Georgia had more lynchings than any state other than Alabama."

"Response: Georgia had more Black people and population than those other states." A Straw man because this was never the response.

"Counterpoint: Georgia had more lynchings than three of the largest states in the South combined." Your counterpoint doesn't change my point, largely because you didn't reposed to my point but rather Continued the straw man you wanted..... In fact it shows you don't know much about the topic

Besides the fact Georgia did nearly have twice as much blacks as NC back then.

Again racism was cause by ignorance and fear. Jim Crow laws was meant to disfranchise blacks, Racists wanted to control the black population but how do you do that when blacks was at a 1 to 1 ratio with whites? It's not just how large the black population was but how close it was to the white population. The fact the black population was in a 1 to 1 ratio in GA cause more anxiety for racist. This is exactly what racist fear. There was just as much blacks as white. In NC blacks were less than half the white population the anxiety was less. . Un like NC Racists in GA did not have the political numbers. So more violence was use. NC and VA weren't less racist it was the jim crow south......... it was less need because racist in NC already had the political numbers over blacks to disfranchise.

In West indies during slavery blacks far out number whites, The condition of Slavery was far worst because of that their was "seasoning camp". If you don't know about this subject why are talking about it tbh?

------------
Fact: Obama received a lower share of the non-Hispanic White vote in Georgia than he did in South Carolina.

smh

Fact: non-Hispanic whites only make 54% of Georgia, Believe it or not Minorities exist! The whole population determined the culture of the state. And GA is a Diverse state. So I'm fascinated how you're analyzing the non white population alone like minorities don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
IMHO, people who think Georgia has more in common with NC than AL have spent most of their time in the Atlanta area and North Georgia and are clueless about the rest of the state.
Its eeems you are clueless about what and who you are talking about because A large portion of people who move to Atlanta ARE from South of Atlanta like myself who is from middle Georgia born and raised.

OOPS!!!another falsehood busted!

Last edited by afonega1; 04-02-2015 at 02:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 01:47 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,116,905 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
IMHO, people who think Georgia has more in common with NC than AL have spent most of their time in the Atlanta area and North Georgia and are clueless about the rest of the state.
60% of GA is ATL, with North GA as a whole now where taking at least 70% of Georgia populations.

Besides Columbus and Albany most GA midcities are east of ATL closer to the Carolinas Athens, Augusta, Savannah they have more common with the Carolinian.


But I notice the biggest error people doing with NC they mistaking NC having more population centers........ for having far more, or less concentrated urban areas.


Both NC and GA population is concentrated on the Piedmont and ATL CSA covers most of NC 3 urban areas.

So if we going to talk about GA with out GA Piedmont where going to talk about NC with it's Piedmont.


Obliviously GA share something with AL too but I say with NC for being a South Atlantic state. Alabama is hard to pin down because I wouldn't say AL is solidly like MS either. At the end of the day all 3 states have similarities and differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 03:24 AM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,116,905 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Thanks for helping me prove my point.Tennessee was asked to come to court to help testify. Memphis shares civil Rights history with Birmingham and is said to be an Offspring of Mississippi which is compared to Alabama 70% of the time.Even with all of that charecteristicly and over all feel Ga still is more comparable to Alabama.Ga has Atlanata which would lean it toward North Carolina but Atlanta is only a section of Georgia.

And I would rather deal with the Civil Rights era rather than the much more expansive era of lynchings eapecially when the ratio is greater than 3 states that equal in black population.

Also another point I would like to make is that do you guys really believe that if Atlanta was never erected in Georgia do you really believe that Georgia would still have 5 million residents or more ?

I don't ! I have only met a good number of Atlantians who agree with me on this but those whoblive in other cities such as Macin don't. My belief is that when people think of Atlanta they think of Georgia and Atlanta is the face of Georgia.Yes Savannah is popular and is a tourist meca but it is not the face of Ga and is not the first city to come to mind. Other areas of Ga are growing because of Atlanta ,that's my belief.If Atlanta would have had the same sucess in Mississippi that state probably would be around 10 million.
But your post ignore reality Most of Georgia IS Atlanta by population.

So your post reads with out most of Georgia population would GA wouldn't be like NC but AL .. what

Also the rest of Georgia is not a ATL suburb they grow on them on.

And Also Again you making a broad brush I would say Rome, Columbus, and Albany are more like AL. But your saying cities like Savannah, Augusta, Brunswick are more like AL even though they are on the opposite side of the state, Border the Carolinas and were colonial found cities. They have more in common with the small mid and historic cities in The Carolinas.

but can't make this clearer

Atlanta CSA 6,162,195



Charlotte CSA 2,493,040
Greensboro CSA 1,619,313
Raleigh CSA 2,037,430
Total Piedmont Crescent 6,149,783



Most GA is in ATL but most NC is in Piedmont Crescent......... While NC have more major cities the population is not distribute though out the state.

- Both Colonial states

- Both states Mountain areas were home to first and second gold rush. In fact NC and GA border here

- Both states population, diversity. growth is their Piedmont area.

- outside of the Piedmont both have small midsize metros,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 04:23 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Reputation: 2908
So I figured out why white percentage of voters was much higher in NC.
NC ranked 11th in voter turnout.
GA ranked #36 ,below Alabama as one of the worst states in voter turnout.

..GA had roughly 3.8million votes versus 4.4million voters in NC..
That means more the HALF of the voters in GA voted than NC.
The states with the highest and lowest turnout in 2012, in 2 charts - The Washington Post

The white voter turout was higher in NC than blacks but in GA Black vote surpased the whote vote which was one of the few states where that happened.
Black voter turnout exceeds white voter turnout, even in states with strict ID laws, pundit claims | PunditFact

Anyway here is the white support for Obama in 2008.
GA-23%
AL-10%
NC-35%
Basically its about in between both states so its silly to use this as some kinda "AH-HA!!
[IMG]As you can clearly see GA was at 23% vs AL at 10%.N[/IMG]

Quote:
Frey said that 57 percent of all eligible voters in Louisiana and 60 percent in Alabama are Southern-born white people. In North Carolina, the percentage is only a little more than half, and in Virginia, Georgia and Florida, it's well below half.
BAM!!!!Now what?


So like Chitadl said;wite voters coe from the North and all over.They are also conservatives that move to GA to escape liberal areas.Makes sense that there are lesss Southern Born whites in GA as is in FL,and TX

One other thing is that 55% of residents are native born in Georgia.NC its 58.5% and AL its 70%,Before you say thats all Atlanta,remember GA has several large military installations.Even more than N.C.
https://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acsbr10-07.pdf

Also look at the foreign born population in each state.
Not including counties in the Atlanta metro the county with the highest percentage of foreign born in GA is Whitield County #2(after Gwinnett in Atlanta)@18.6%
Then #3 Echols ranked 3rd@17.7%
Compare with Durham #1 in NC @13.9%

Out of the top 20 counties in Georgia in fregn born population ,7 counties(8 if you count Clarke County where Atlens is) are all over GA and NOT Atlanta.

As I mentioned before ,Whitfeld County is where the flooring industry is.It is are more Hispanics here than blacks.
Then in the other counties you have the military bases which also have higher percentages of foreign born.

The other counties have one other thing I forgot to mention is that Alabama has no dominant industries.GA does in flooring and textiles as I mention and also Chicken Procesing.It leads the nation.
GA also produces Peanuts.
Quote:
Georgia is the number-one peanut-producing state in the country, accounting for approximately 49 percent of the crop's national acreage and production.
So many immigrants are in these communities with these large plants in rural areas far away from Atlanta.
Changing the fabric of the community.

Alabama?Well the county at number one is 7.9%(Franklin).No where near even Birmingham and far less than the top counties in GA.
It ALMOST leads in one industry according to its website:
Quote:
Food processing is vibrant. Alabama ranks second nationally in catfish sales and is the third-largest broiler producer in the country.


I was in Dalton(Whitfield County) last weekend and am always amazed how Southern it is but has mixed couples EVERYWHERE.Hispanics have been there for a couple of decades now and everywhere I went it was an Hispanic person who obviously had been there for years assimilating into life down to the accents.

Much different that when I first went up there with college buddies in the mid nineties who were from there.The Hispanic them seem like they were alot but they were just in the plants and not managers at stores,salesmen,cashiers,mailmen,etc like they are now.

Anyway Im tired and some of this I know could be be written better but you got the jis,and this should really be all over until you can give more evidence against ALL that I and others have given with rebuttals for what some of yall's so called proof..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 04:37 AM
 
Location: Closer than you think!
2,103 posts, read 3,165,816 times
Reputation: 1529
So.....Can any of these 87 people who voted for Alabama actually explain how Georgia is more similar to Alabama than NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top