U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 141 62.67%
North Carolina 84 37.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:49 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,006,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
You know the more I think about it, Georgia is kind of like Texas in a way. Both have very liberal areas (Austin for TX and Atlanta for GA) which are about as different as you can get from there respective opposites (TX panhandle and south GA respectively). There urban areas routinely vote over 80% in favor of socially progressive issues while the other extremes routinely vote over 95% against them. Hard to believe these places can exist in the same state. You would be hard pressed to find any other states with quite an extreme difference. I guess in the end I would say the urban areas of GA and NC are more alike and the rural areas of GA and AL are more alike. I guess I would give the edge to AL though (I lived on the southwestern side of the Atlanta area and went to college in Carrollton so my experience gave more of an AL vibe).
This is probably pretty accurate, yes.

Athens is pretty similar to Chapel Hill, and it seems like both areas are also becoming more suburban. The sprawl from the Atlanta metro is slowly creeping closer to Athens, and of course Chapel Hill in the Research Triangle is definitely going to have a lot of sprawl and transplants.

You might think I'm crazy, but I visited friends around Augusta once, and it actually reminded me of Raleigh. They lived out in Evans, a suburban area that struck me as very similar to the outer suburbs of North Raleigh. Whole area, I swear I thought I was back home way out in North Raleigh! However, I know you might think this is crazy, because there are obviously differences between Augusta and Raleigh.

Savannah is also a little similar to Wilmington up in NC, but I'm not denying any similarities between Georgia and Alabama. However, I'm much more familiar with Atlanta, Athens, Savannah, and northwestern Georgia near the North Carolina border. The areas closer to Alabama, not so much. Also, practically all of south Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 AM

880 posts, read 2,472,267 times
Yeah, can't say I see the connection. Evans feels more like Columbus County NC culturally and politically. I would say North Raleigh reminds me more of Sandy Springs or Roswell.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:52 AM

27,840 posts, read 24,901,772 times
Southeastern suburban areas are more alike than different across the board, aside from changes in topography. I'm not sure why this is such a shocker.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:46 AM

60 posts, read 64,071 times
Atlanta in general to me is more like Charlotte than anywhere in Alabama if we're talking about urban stuff.

Alabama is as "Old South" as it gets and Georgia, while it's pretty Deep South as it can get, it has plenty of progressive areas which is kind of what like North Carolina is at the moment, although NC is probably a little more liberal than GA anyways.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,175,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingcalm View Post
Atlanta in general to me is more like Charlotte than anywhere in Alabama if we're talking about urban stuff.

Alabama is as "Old South" as it gets and Georgia, while it's pretty Deep South as it can get, it has plenty of progressive areas which is kind of what like North Carolina is at the moment, although NC is probably a little more liberal than GA anyways.

This is the truth although I would replace Charlotte with Raleigh due to the fact that Charlotte is slightly more southern than Atlanta and Raleigh.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:59 AM

60 posts, read 64,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
This is the truth although I would replace Charlotte with Raleigh due to the fact that Charlotte is slightly more southern than Atlanta and Raleigh.
Right, forgot about Raleigh. Both are kind of geared towards the younger crowd and Charlotte is less of that.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,175,487 times
Quote:
Yeah, can't say I see the connection. Evans feels more like Columbus County NC culturally and politically. I would say North Raleigh reminds me more of Sandy Springs or Roswell.

To be honest, Atlanta's nothern suburbs remind me of NOVA.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:09 AM

27,840 posts, read 24,901,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Aside from that (which is somewhat negligible and I think Charlotte is closer in its "Southernness" to Atlanta than it is to Raleigh), I'd say Charlotte and Atlanta are more alike in terms of being the sole dominant city of their metros, having similar economic profiles, having similar professional sports teams/climates, rail-based transit, etc. The similarities between Raleigh and Atlanta (which are not shared with Charlotte) are mostly limited to their higher ed scenes and being state capitals.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:24 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,887,631 times
Quote:
You know the more I think about it, Georgia is kind of like Texas in a way. Both have very liberal areas (Austin for TX and Atlanta for GA) which are about as different as you can get from there respective opposites (TX panhandle and south GA respectively). There urban areas routinely vote over 80% in favor of socially progressive issues while the other extremes routinely vote over 95% against them. Hard to believe these places can exist in the same state. You would be hard pressed to find any other states with quite an extreme difference. I guess in the end I would say the urban areas of GA and NC are more alike and the rural areas of GA and AL are more alike. I guess I would give the edge to AL though (I lived on the southwestern side of the Atlanta area and went to college in Carrollton so my experience gave more of an AL vibe).
Now I can agree with the southwestern part of GA feeling more like AL but overall no.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,006,615 times
Quote:
Columbus County, NC? That county is very rural and poor, and I don't think Columbus has any areas that are suburban like Evans. Columbus is probably even more Deep South-ish than that area of Georgia! The Fayetteville suburbs would make better sense, IMO.

Evans, GA
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5365...vAww!2e0?hl=en

Columbus County, NC
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1719...Poxw!2e0?hl=en

Last edited by JayJayCB; 04-08-2015 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City