Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 146 62.13%
North Carolina 89 37.87%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:05 PM

31,897 posts, read 34,416,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I just get the feeling that good shrimp and spicy food are easier to come by in Birmingham than they are in Atlanta (don't get me started).
If you say so. I don't put gumbo and Birmingham together the same way I don't put shrimp and grits and Columbia together. Those are two distinct cultural regions within each state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 12:07 PM

31,897 posts, read 34,416,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
How much time have you spent in Augusta, Savannah, Macon, Athens, Columbus, Valdosta, Albany, Brunswick, etc or in rural Georgia?

I'm very familiar with NY and upstate NY has more in common with Alabama compared to many parts of Georgia.

I find it very difficult to believe the white people in rural GA are more hardcore republican than rural SC.
Here we go with the "How much time have you spent in _______" questions. I'm not sure what personal experience has to do with facts.

Yes, rural Georgia is more hardcore Republican than rural South Carolina. And rural South Carolina is more hardcore Republican than rural North Carolina. It's not that hard to believe if you simply look at the data.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:11 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,205,217 times
Quote:
I just get the feeling that good shrimp and spicy food are easier to come by in Birmingham than they are in Atlanta (don't get me started).
In an inland, Appalachia city like Birmingham? Yeah, okay...If you said Mobile, that would have been more believable. They probably have better access since Interstate 65 is a straight shot from the Port of Mobile to the 'Ham. My parents like going to the The Fish Market on Southside whenever they pass through Birmingham though.

However, I do agree that good shrimp/seafood in general in Atlanta is very hard to come by. Marietta Fish Market is decent though.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:19 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,021,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Here we go with the "How much time have you spent in _______" questions. I'm not sure what personal experience has to do with facts.

Yes, rural Georgia is more hardcore Republican than rural South Carolina. And rural South Carolina is more hardcore Republican than rural North Carolina. It's not that hard to believe if you simply look at the data.
You skipped over my facts last time(presidential elections).

What facts or data? Last time you portrayed rural Georgia is responsible, but metro Atlanta is half of the state. The map you provided was for the entire state and what facts are you using to single out rural Georgia.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:20 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,650,555 times
Quote:
The air of Atlanta felt more like eastern Tennessee, to me, à la Chattanooga. Alabama, as a whole, seems more influenced by the Gulf than any part of Georgia.
True, but not quite.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Most of Alabama's population is not near the Gulf. The majority of Alabamans live north of Tuscaloosa.
No.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Atlanta feels a lot like Charlotte to me, despite being an hour from the Alabama state line. Even Nashville is probably more like Atlanta over Birmingham or any Alabama metro.
I agree, but Birmingham looks like suburban, although Birmingham is much hillier. Birmingham and Nashville remind me a lot of each other.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
No only Mobile and Baldwin Counties are influenced by Gulf culture. Montgomery has more similarities with Columbus and Macon than it has with Mobile.

To me Houston has more similarities to Mobile than Atlanta does even though Atlanata is more popular amongst Afro Mobilians.
I've said this plenty of times. Since living in Houston, there has been an influx of black people from Mobile. I know 7 that have moved here within a few months.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,205,217 times
Quote:
Atlanta and Charlotte are both major Southern cities with more transplants so they are similar in that respect. But I would say Atlanta and Birmingham are still more or less cut from the same cloth. Atlanta just got real big while Birmingham didn't.
Atlanta and Birmingham were peers up to about the 1940s and 1950s when the two cities took very different directions. Birmingham stuck more to its industrial/steel production roots a lot longer, while Atlanta became more service-oriented. Also, while the city limits had almost the same population, Atlanta did have a much larger metro area at the time. In 1950, Metro Birmingham had a bit under 450,000 people in its metro area vs Atlanta's metro already having around 1 million people at the time.

Also, Birmingham had a much more tumultuous racial history (though Atlanta was no walk in the park, contrary to popular belief), and the perception of Atlanta being a "city too busy to hate" definitely played a role in corporate relocations and the beginning of the area's massive growth starting in the 1970s and 80s.

Birmingham also turned down Delta Air Lines request to use its airport as a major hub, since the city has a much more centralized location in the South than Atlanta (which is a bit far to the East from Louisiana and East Texas). And the rest is history.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
This true. Birmingham has crawfish festivals and Cajun restaurants. Even Huntsville has crawfish festivals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City