Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 146 62.13%
North Carolina 89 37.87%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:51 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
IMHO, people who think Georgia has more in common with NC than AL have spent most of their time in the Atlanta area and North Georgia and are clueless about the rest of the state.
Or perhaps they are looking at things like population, GDP, growth rate, typical new south states, business-oriented, great universities....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 07:35 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
So.....Can any of these 87 people who voted for Alabama actually explain how Georgia is more similar to Alabama than NC?
Some already did.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:28 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Still not buying your lynching to voting correlation.
You don't have to "buy" it. Louisiana (along with East Texas), Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia had the most lynchings of African Americans during the 20th Century. *Coincidentally* White voters in these states also had the least support for the Democratic presidential candidate in both 2008 and 2012. Your response to this has been to scratch your head and say "Gee willikers, I can't think of a single gee golly reason why that might be the case." Laughable.

Quote:
Your view of social attitudes within the South comes across as very myopic.
In the Annenberg National Election Survey, Georgia voters registered as the most conservative voters on economic issues. On social issues, Georgia voters were slightly less conservative than SC voters and AL voters overall. As you can see from the graph below, Georgia lines up better with both AL and SC ideologically than it does with NC, which is beginning to resemble Missouri or Ohio a bit more in terms of its economic and social ideology.

Ranking states by the liberalism/conservatism of their voters - Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science

Old 04-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Your basically ignoring the minority population, like blacks, asians, Hispanic has no voice in the culture of the state. White non Hispanics only make 54.8 of Georgia. So I guess your ignoring 45.2% of the state I guess they don't exist. Hispanic 9.2 is not only larger than MS 1.1, AL 2%... but larger but comparable to NC 8.9% comparable. GA hispanic population is higher than all Midwestern states. Georgia has one of the growing Asian and latino population growth. But guess non of that matter because you only care to extame the non Hispanic white vote as if non Hispanic white if solo factor determining the state culture and the 45% Minority population doesn't exist.
Georgia is still one of the most conservative states in the Union despite the transplants, the Blacks, the Hispanics, etc. There are so many conservatives there that they easily overwhelm the non-Hispanic White liberal/moderate and minority vote. That's largely because Georgia is rabidly Republican and conservative outside of its urban areas and to a greater degree than you probably realize.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:02 AM

183 posts, read 249,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You don't have to "buy" it. Louisiana (along with East Texas), Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia had the most lynchings of African Americans during the 20th Century. *Coincidentally* White voters in these states also had the least support for the Democratic presidential candidate in both 2008 and 2012. Your response to this has been to scratch your head and say "Gee willikers, I can't think of a single gee golly reason why that might be the case." Laughable.

In the Annenberg National Election Survey, Georgia voters registered as the most conservative voters on economic issues. On social issues, Georgia voters were slightly less conservative than SC voters and AL voters overall. As you can see from the graph below, Georgia lines up better with both AL and SC ideologically than it does with NC, which is beginning to resemble Missouri or Ohio a bit more in terms of its economic and social ideology.

Ranking states by the liberalism/conservatism of their voters - Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science
Are you seriously suggesting that white voters in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, who did not vote for Obama are racists?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Just so we're clear. Are you seriously suggesting that white voters in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, who did not vote for Obama are racists? Are you correlating people with economically conservative viewpoints as being racist?
I didn't say anything about racism. I said that the states with the weakest non-Hispanic White support for Obama were *coincidentally* the states that had the most African American lynchings. Now do I think there's some connection there? Hell f****** yeah! LOL.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Some already did.
I mainly seen politics and lynching arguments..

I really didn't see too much factual information other than the typical "deep south states" comment.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:15 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:

I really didn't see too much factual information other than the typical "deep south states" comment.
Geography, college football, Civil Rights history, similar histories for their largest cities, etc. were some of the other points mentioned.

I can see it going either way in this discussion honestly.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Why wouldn't politics matter? If you look at any other thread, people will be quick to jump and say "liberal" when comparing a place to, say, New York or Massachusetts. Why would it have so little significance here?

And honestly, what is going to be a more material difference in the lives of the average person: (a) the demographics and/or overall political ideology of a state or (b) the fact that two states have state flagship schools in the same conference? Some differences and similarities are more important than others.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:08 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
IMHO, people who think Georgia has more in common with NC than AL have spent most of their time in the Atlanta area and North Georgia and are clueless about the rest of the state.
The people who think Georgia has more in common with AL have spent most of their time outside Atlanta on Georgia interstates and are clueless about the rest of the state.

Quote:
So.....Can any of these 87 people who voted for Alabama actually explain how Georgia is more similar to Alabama than NC?
Stereotypes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City