U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Up-and-Coming U.S. City?
Denver 19 33.33%
Charlotte 4 7.02%
San Antonio 2 3.51%
Orlando 2 3.51%
Austin 12 21.05%
Nashville 12 21.05%
Raleigh 4 7.02%
Sarasota 0 0%
Charleston 2 3.51%
Cape Coral 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 AM

178 posts, read 242,591 times

Advertisements

Out of these 10 cities that are all growing like weeds, which one do you think is the best?

- Denver, CO
- Charlotte, NC
- San Antonio, TX
- Orlando, FL
- Austin, TX
- Nashville, TN
- Raleigh, NC
- Sarasota, FL
- Charleston, SC
- Cape Coral, FL

Criteria...
Cost of living
Jobs/Economy
Transportation
Crime
Education
Healthcare
Recreation
Weather
Quality of life
Scenery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 12:09 PM

371 posts, read 387,110 times
For what it's worth, I don't think Denver belongs in that pod. I consider Denver beyond the "up and coming" stage. So I went with sweet home town bias. Charlotte FTW.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:58 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,308,914 times
Austin.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:57 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,787,795 times
Nashville.....

Old 03-28-2015, 01:40 PM

4,277 posts, read 3,344,636 times
At this point in time Denver ranks well above all of these metros. If you take out Denver from the equation I would rank Charlotte the best then Austin, then Nashville based on the criteria. Sarasota is a great place to visit. In fact I was just there last June and had a great time. Most people, however tend to lump it in with Tampa and St. Pete when referring to it as a regional destination, even though it is its own metro. I was impressed with Orlando's growth, but the whole Disney, toll roads, theme park, and overwhelming amount of non-English speaking people and strip malls gets on my nerves after a while lol (yes I know there is more to be found in Orlando). I haven't had much experience with San Antonio, Charleston, or Cape Coral to weigh in on those metros.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:35 PM

1,011 posts, read 839,595 times
This is a good list, while all the cities listed have strong potential, I really believe Orlando deserves to win this but unfortunately likely will not due to lack of awareness and familiarity with the city here in the CD community.. I will take a jab at it anyways.. Here is my answer for Orlando in each criteria listed by the OP which hopefully will create some awareness:

Cost of Living
Florida being a state with no state income tax, Orlando already has a jumpstart in this category. In addition to the desirable tax setting (or lack thereof) there is an abundance of affordable housing in the metro area including desirable middle to upper-middle class neighborhoods with access to good schools.

Jobs/Economy
Orlando is one of the fastest growing metro regions in the country with a booming economy and frequently makes Top 10 lists on Forbes, WSJ, CNNMoney, etc.. There is no question that Orlando's fast growing economy is creating an abundance of jobs in a variety of fields, not just tourism, there are fast growing sectors in high technology, biotechnology, medical research, aviation and aerospace, healthcare, digital media, and military and simulation and training just to name a few.

Transportation
In the recent decade major transportation infrastructure has been rapidly developed by local governments and transportation entities, this includes the new SunRail commuter rail system, expansions to the existing LYNX public transit system, and future systems under construction such as the All Aboard Florida system and the Orlando Maglev project. Not to mention, Orlando is home to the Orlando International Airport, the second busiest airport in the state with a lengthy list of convenient direct non-stop routes to virtually any domestic destination in the country along with a good chunk of direct non-stop international routes including London, Frankfurt, Dubai, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janiero, Bogota, Lima, Mexico City, Oslo, Copenhagen, and Iceland just to name a few.

Crime
In comparison to the metro areas on the list, Orlando is at par, as in any major city, there are good and bad parts of town. One of the Orlando's suburbs is considered on the safest cities to live in America while others are crime ridden. This category is subjective, the best course of action is to look at crime maps and stats.

Education
Orlando is regional hub for education, it is home to the University of Central Florida, the country's second largest university by total enrollment and one of the fast growing universities in the country. The area is also home to Rollins College which has been frequently ranked as one of the top MBA programs in the Southeast US. The area's K-12 public school systems also score high ranks with a number of nationally top rated high schools in the tri-county area.

Healthcare
Healthcare without question is one of the area's fastest growing fields along with a new Medical City southeast of the city which has become a magnet for healthcare development and is home to the UCF School of Medicine. Major noteworthy hospital facilities include the renowned Orlando Regional Medical Center (Regional Level 1 Trauma Center), Nemours Children's Hospital, a newly-opened VA hospital, Florida Hospital Orlando, Florida Hospital Cancer Institute, Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital, Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women & Babies, and others.

Recreation
Recreation is a aplenty in the region with thousands of local parks, recreational centers, lakes, watersports facilities, natural springs, state parks, golf courses galore, beaches within driving distance, and there is even a gigantic USTA National Tennis Center under construction.

Weather
Central Florida is synonymous for its popular sub-tropical climate which keeps conditions sunny and warm year-round! I don't believe there is much more to say in this category.

Quality of Life
Without a doubt the quality of life in Orlando is one of the best in this region of the country, not only do locals have access to the obvious world-class theme parks at their fingertips, but the area offers an abundance of entertainment including professional sports (NBA, MLS, AFL, PGA, NCAA, Bowl Games, etc) in world-class sports venues such as the Amway Center and renovated Citrus Bowl, the brand new Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, a fast-growing downtown core with an abundance of nightlife/entertainment, and a plethora of local arts and museums. Not to mention, the convenient central location of Orlando gives locals access to beaches on both coasts and easy access to all four quadrants of the state via interstate highways and Amtrak rail.

Scenery
Outside the façade of theme parks and tourist areas, the real Orlando is actually a very visually appealing city with a very nice downtown area and many unique up-and-coming neighborhoods and districts. I invite those who are unfamiliar to scan through the pages of the Orlando Pictures thread here on CD Forums: Orlando Pictures Thread

Last edited by MrKnight; 03-28-2015 at 05:46 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,862,532 times
Orlando and Charlotte are both growing rapidly, IMO. Until a few months ago, I had no idea what Orlando offered.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:13 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,701,805 times
Knight, Orlando is definitely coming up. But I'd have to go with Charlotte on this one. But Orlando is in the top 3, along with Raleigh/Austin.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:56 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,308,914 times
Austin was ranked by Forbes that last four years as Americas fastest growing city. So overall Austin.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:34 AM

371 posts, read 387,110 times
Austin better solve its traffic and mass transportation problems very quickly if intends to keep landing at the top of these lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or