U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.96%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.86%
Nashville, TN 107 39.48%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.17%
Louisville, KY 10 3.69%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.20%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.90%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2015, 12:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,995,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually I think the Triangle is probably most similar to the Triad than any other metro. There's more than just breakneck growth and sprawl to consider here.
That's true, I won't argue against you on that front. Also, in that case, you could draw similarities between Raleigh/Durham and Richmond.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,310,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I agree with you that it makes no sense that Charlotte should be behind Nashville or Raleigh although I think its entirely possible that Raleigh will be on the level of Charlotte someday within the next 10-20 years.

Yet I disagree that Charlotte is nowhere on the level of Atlanta or especially Houston,
Well Houston is the largest and richest city in the south it also has the biggest economy.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,310,286 times
I still prefer Austin over Houston. I do love Houston's hip hop culture though.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:52 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,598,525 times
Nashville, I interviewed for jobs in Nashville in the health care field and they had candidates from NYC, Chicago, SF and even LA and Seattle I was shocked. Nashville economy is booming in the health care field. Lucky for me I had connections so I got a job. Nashville hopefully doesn't become Atlanta in the next 10 years, their population is soaring because of no state tax and a pretty healthy overall economy. I heard Austin, Dalllas, Houston all have great economies as well. A buddy of mine is moving from New York to Texas this summer as well. I don't know if Texas is considered part of the South thou, its sort of a its own region. Anyhow Nashville rocks

Old 04-16-2015, 03:57 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,598,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Nashville, I interviewed for jobs in Nashville in the health care field and they had candidates from NYC, Chicago, SF and even LA and Seattle I was shocked. Nashville economy is booming in the health care field. Lucky for me I had connections so I got a job. Nashville hopefully doesn't become Atlanta in the next 10 years, their population is soaring because of no state tax and a pretty healthy overall economy. I heard Austin, Dalllas, Houston all have great economies as well. A buddy of mine is moving from New York to Texas this summer as well. I don't know if Texas is considered part of the South thou, its sort of a its own region. Anyhow Nashville rocks
Become Atlanta as far as big and sprawly? Atlanta's economy is booming at the moment if that's what you're referring to.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:04 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,788,960 times
All these idiotic comments "oh we don't want to be another Atlanta". If you don't want it, you will never be a MAJOR city..PERIOD

Old 04-16-2015, 04:06 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,598,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
All these idiotic comments "oh we don't want to be another Atlanta". If you don't want it, you will never be a MAJOR city..PERIOD
I have to agree. If you get the growth on the level of Atlanta, unfortunately, you're not going to avoid the sprawl. 100k people aren't going to be moving into the central per year or you'll be as urban as European or NE cities in 10 years.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:08 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,378,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
How you figure Delta is a terrible airline when it ranked #1 last year?
Sports capacity ratings for five major professional sports - The Business Journals
I'm guessing you had the wrong link copied when you wrote this.

In any case, Delta does deserve credit for being the world's largest unscheduled airline.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:11 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,598,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I love Atlanta but the traffic and sprawl in Atlanta is really bad.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:06 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,157,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
Could you explain your rationale behind Raleigh and Nashville at 2 in front of Charlotte? You've stated don't like Charlotte due to it's "orientation", but it's clearly a much larger economic engine than either Raleigh or Nashville, by quite a large margin.
Charlotte seems like it's almost there already. Since it has more competition in the area of the things it does well I'm not sure how much more room to it has to grow. Probably more than I realize though.

Maybe the city should seal the deal by hosting the Olympics?

Although when I think of Charlotte there really isn't one city characteristic that stands out to me.

When it comes to Raleigh & Nashville I just hear about them a lot more from all sorts of people.

Nashville is a destination city. When someone says Nashville you definitely get a picture of what that entails (even if it isn't accurate). Much the same way Austin calls to mind a certain idea and if Nashville booms to the level of Austin look out.

Also, I think once Raleigh starts approaching Charlotte's level it will offer more to people from different walks of life. Don't like Raleigh's flavor? Check out Durham. Not really feeling either of those two? Go to Cary.

Guess we'll just have to check in with them in another 10 years?

Just remembered that New Orleans, as far as I know, isn't all that interested in change and growth into something else. So I doubt it will ever become a hub without losing what makes it special.

Last edited by Port Pitt Ash; 04-16-2015 at 09:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or