U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.96%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.86%
Nashville, TN 107 39.48%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.17%
Louisville, KY 10 3.69%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.20%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.90%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:36 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,537,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Probably because Charlotte is already well underway to becoming a hub.
Not on the level of Houston, Dallas, Miami, or Atlanta. It wasn't mentioned as a hub in the first post nor was it listed as an option in the poll. It seems to have been overlooked altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 01:35 PM

27,725 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Not on the level of Houston, Dallas, Miami, or Atlanta. It wasn't mentioned as a hub in the first post nor was it listed as an option in the poll. It seems to have been overlooked altogether.
I didn't take it as a slight; I just thought that Charlotte, along with Orlando and Tampa, are obviously well on their way to being hubs so that's why they weren't listed.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't take it as a slight; I just thought that Charlotte, along with Orlando and Tampa, are obviously well on their way to being hubs so that's why they weren't listed.
I didn't take it as a slight either, but it seems to be conspicuously missing in a discussion about southern cities. By almost anyone's metric, Charlotte is a second tier southern city along with Nashville, Raleigh, Tampa, etc. The major hubs are obvious, and Charlotte is a secondary one.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 04-27-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 PM

5,560 posts, read 5,362,081 times
Quote:
I somewhat disagree, especially considering some of the other cities on the poll.
Richmond has a long way to go. It is not even as great as some other state capitals. It has potential, but given that it is the state capital it should change the laws and annex everything around it, like Columbus, OH did, and reach out and touch Hampton Roads. Then we may have something to talk about.

The problem with Richmond is that the surrounding suburban areas have too much clout and power for that to happen. Plus the old State laws work in their favor. Best thing that Richmond can do is increase density inside its core and undergo their own form of Manhattanization, to make it the largest city in the state. But that will never happen. All the real growth in Virginia is out in Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia. The Southwest does okay, but they have a long way to go to even operate on the level that Richmond does now.

But the OP did say hub, so that could mean hub as in transportation hub, sort of like Chicago, or what St. Louis was supposed to be. It could mean a lot of different things. IMHO I think that Richmond is too conservative and too stuck in the past to become a cultural hub in the way that other areas in the state are moving in the direction of becoming. Not to say that Richmond doesn't have anything to offer but it is a very small town in comparison to other cities in the South that are doing things. It is a fraction of the size of cities in the South that do have a lot of economic and cultural activity. It is truly on the size of an average sized city in the Midwest and a smaller than average sized city in the Northeast or the West Coast. But I could be wrong, perhaps the OP sees something I don't. I certainly hope that I am wrong and Richmond surprises me in the next five to ten years.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:26 PM

Memphis has to fix their crime issues. Nashville is already a hub, at least as far as the music industry is concerned.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,988,163 times
It's very interesting regarding Richmond. On one side, I've heard it's filled with artsy types and progressive liberals, along with being very saturated with Yankee transplants therefore becoming more of a Mid-Atlantic city than stereotypically southern. However, on the other side, I hear it's a Bible Belt-ish/conservative area with its glory days in the past that is failing to attract transplants unlike Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads. Well, which one is it?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
It's very interesting regarding Richmond. On one side, I've heard it's filled with artsy types and progressive liberals, along with being very saturated with Yankee transplants therefore becoming more of a Mid-Atlantic city than stereotypically southern. However, on the other side, I hear it's a Bible Belt-ish/conservative area with its glory days in the past that is failing to attract transplants unlike Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads. Well, which one is it?
Most growing southern cities are saturated with transplants from the Northeast...I don't see Richmond as being particularly unique in that respect. I think it's location near DC has somewhat limited Richmond's growth. It seems to be growing, just not at the rate of the booming southern cities. I don't think of Richmond as necessarily conservative, but maybe a little more so than some of it's larger counterparts.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Both. At the same time. That is the contradiction that is Richmond.

Xenophobia runs rampant in Virginia among the natives. That is one the major issues that prevent some people from moving here. Then you have knuckleheads with thick skin that don't care what anyone thinks, and they move here because its cheaper and the weather is nice. Well, it hasn't been that great over the last year or two but the summers are great here. A lot of military, or someone's cousin, significant other, etc moving here. The media perpetuates it too. A great example is what happens every year during spring break in Virginia Beach.

Richmond is cheaper than Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia so they do have that in their favor.

I would like to see Virginia throw shade on Atlanta and Charlotte. I am still hopeful that may happen one day. But Virginia often fails to think outside of the box, and there is a lot of infighting, either between suburbia and the inner city, or in the case of Hampton Roads, between cities that won't cooperate on projects, the irony being that everyone in Hampton Roads needs to pull their resources together in order to get anything done. So we end up with projects the power to be want us to have, and then we complain about those projects because they don't represent our interests. Well, when someone from out of town did propose something new and interesting you blocked it; well no, that never happens because the powers to be block it and then tell us the ugly details after the fact. Our voice is not heard at all.

Virginia, being a MidAtlantic state, should have a lot more going on. It should closer reflect what you see up North, given how progressive cities are to the South of this state.

I honestly don't know what happened to Virginia, and West Virginia. Those two states are like stuck in the matrix while all of the other surrounding states are moving on towards the future.

Last edited by goofy328; 04-27-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 03:13 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,988,163 times
It just seems a little strange that other states in the area like North Carolina and Georgia are booming, while Virginia seems to be falling behind as time goes by. For the longest time, the three states of Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia were about equal population-wise, but North Carolina and Georgia have moved ahead. The Raleigh/Durham area has attracted loads of transplants mainly due to RTP, and Charlotte has the banking industry down there. Of course Georgia has the Atlanta metro. However, it doesn't seem like Virginia is growing as fast. There has to be a variety of reasons, and I'm pretty sure housing is much cheaper in North Carolina compared to Virginia from what I've heard.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
It just seems a little strange that other states in the area like North Carolina and Georgia are booming, while Virginia seems to be falling behind as time goes by. For the longest time, the three states of Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia were about equal population-wise. However, North Carolina and Georgia have moved ahead.
It is a sad state of affairs. But the truth is even stranger. For example the population in Virginia has actually risen consistently since it's creation. The population of the cities have risen consistently as well. None of the cities have experienced the population loss that cities in some other states have, like in Ohio, where some cities have half of the population they once did. There, the state never lost population because the population just shifted from the inner city to suburbia, please a few people are still moving to Ohio.

If these trends continue Virginia may one day be in excess of ten million people. Real estate continues to be built. There are at least ten major apartment complexes that have been built in the short period of time I've lived here, as I've only been here for eight years. There are probably a lot more I am not aware of. Plus I never go over to the Peninsula, and they have their own projects.

That is not growth on the level of Atlanta or Charlotte but it is growth. Virginia seems to be successful in marketing their conservative, family friendly atmosphere as an alternative to Atlanta, Charlotte, and other cities but I don't know if that is enough of an effort to plug the gap; 1 1/2 million people with respect to North Carolina, and 2 million people with respect to Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or