U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.96%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.86%
Nashville, TN 107 39.48%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.17%
Louisville, KY 10 3.69%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.20%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.90%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:33 AM

27,713 posts, read 24,737,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I would think that Richmond would want nothing to do with that a giant CSA with VA Beach. If they did combine, where does Richmond's pride go? They'd become statistically a part of a giant sprawling metro and but could lose some urban credibility. I understand the "cred" and visibility an inflated/manufactured CSA population can provide but is it worth it to all parties? I don't think so.

As for NC's Triangle, I expect it will one day be reunited into a singular MSA like it was before it was split it in two pieces. I can tell the folks in both Richmond and Tidewater that a CSA doesn't really give a metro the visibility that they think it will bring. The Triangle's CSA is nearing 2.1 million and it's hardly even recognized as being that size despite the fact that its two core cities share a border, it truly functions as one metro and its relationship isn't manufactured or forced.
Agreed on both points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 03:04 PM

315 posts, read 241,910 times
I have soft spot for Memphis and Richmond but I think right now Nashville would be my choice there the hottest.(although Raleigh has been at that level topping best of lists and fasting growing for years now) Nashville is the IT city I think at the moment at some point it will change like it always does but there doing some very impressive things......don't sleep on NOLA either they've made some big strides and are already a hub of a sort for southern culture among other things.......I think Raleigh is underestimated to a degree because of the way the metro is configured but I think they have the highest potential for growth with the mix of technology,education,high growth,location however they have another top tier competitor in there own state in Charlotte so there is that but the sky is the limit for the triangle I think.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,986,909 times
Nashville and Raleigh/Durham are honestly about equal, IMO. I'm even tempted to throw Charlotte in there, although I understand some Charlotte folks hate the idea of Raleigh/Durham being anywhere near the level of their city.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:38 PM

315 posts, read 241,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Nashville and Raleigh/Durham are honestly about equal, IMO. I'm even tempted to throw Charlotte in there, although I understand some Charlotte folks hate the idea of Raleigh/Durham being anywhere near the level of their city.
Well its not like Raleigh can't compete with Charlotte in quite a few categories in some it flats out wins.....

Old 05-10-2015, 04:29 PM

27,713 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXboi View Post
Well its not like Raleigh can't compete with Charlotte in quite a few categories in some it flats out wins.....
Comparing the entire Triangle to metro Charlotte is fair game, but direct city-to-city comparisons are a bit different; Charlotte pretty much wins in most aspects when comparing the cities themselves.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:14 PM

4,507 posts, read 6,729,245 times
My vote is Charlotte, even though it's not in the poll. and yes, Californians have latched onto Nashville for some reason as the next big thing.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:27 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,986,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
My vote is Charlotte, even though it's not in the poll. and yes, Californians have latched onto Nashville for some reason as the next big thing.
I always thought it was New Yorkers latching onto Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte, Midwestern folks latching onto Nashville, and Californians latching onto Austin. Just going by what I've noticed on CD. Atlanta probably attracts a mixture of all three.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 05-10-2015 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-10-2015, 05:33 PM

252 posts, read 251,250 times
Greenville SC and Huntsville AL

Old 05-10-2015, 11:01 PM

620 posts, read 912,764 times
As soon as Nashville starts making some changes to its Transportation system I think it will automatically become a Hub. The street activity and urban feel that a good public transportation system brings will change the city almost overnight. Too bad the amp did not get built, it was not perfect but it was a great start.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:24 PM

4,642 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Quote:
I always thought it was New Yorkers latching onto Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte, Midwestern folks latching onto Nashville, and Californians latching onto Austin. Just going by what I've noticed on CD. Atlanta probably attracts a mixture of all three.
We have a small 'boutique' landscaping business here in ATL on the side that specializes in terrace's, rooftop decks, balconies and townhouse courtyards. About 90% of our new clients are from the Bay Area & SoCal.

The other 10% are evenly split between D.C., NY & Florida.

Just saying...

We have seen more Californians since the end of the recession than we ever have.

Last edited by JMatl; 05-10-2015 at 11:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or