U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.96%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.86%
Nashville, TN 107 39.48%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.17%
Louisville, KY 10 3.69%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.20%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.90%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:09 AM

27,864 posts, read 24,945,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Sure you have Charlotte which gives the Upstate a greater sense of independence from Atlanta but make no mistake, if Charlotte wasn't there you'd need Atlanta for a lot more of life's things.
The Upstate is roughly halfway between both; the Atlanta influence is definitely there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 11:29 AM

3,456 posts, read 5,605,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post
i don't pay for live music. i can have a concert at my house or in my car anytime.

i think Greenville has everything that I need and most people need. It isn't a small city.

The airport connection in Atlanta doesn't mean atlanta dominates the south. just means they have a big airport.
That's you, and that's fine. But for most people, they actually participate in things outside of themselves and do require a certain level of venue and travel accommodation be available. If you don't mind the drive, then the Upstate is well situated between 2 metros that offer more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Upstate is roughly halfway between both; the Atlanta influence is definitely there.
Yes, more so for Greenville. The Spartanburgers can get to Charlotte in just over an hour and thus are more likely to look there when a situation necessitates so. But I will agree, people all over the Upstate talked a lot about both cities when out of options back home.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Yes, more so for Greenville. The Spartanburgers can get to Charlotte in just over an hour and thus are more likely to look there when a situation necessitates so. But I will agree, people all over the Upstate talked a lot about both cities when out of options back home.
This is true; Spartanburg is closer to Charlotte, Anderson is closer to Atlanta, and Greenville is roughly equidistant to both.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:40 AM

252 posts, read 252,835 times
I don't know anybody in Greenville who goes to Atlanta or charlotte unless they have business there or family that lives there. Neither city is important to Greenville for daily living.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post
I don't know anybody in Greenville who goes to Atlanta or charlotte unless they have business there or family that lives there. Neither city is important to Greenville for daily living.
I know plenty of people who go for leisure a couple of times throughout the year. Of course no one from Greenville needs to drive to Charlotte or Atlanta to buy toilet tissue or gas up their car.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:22 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Oh please no one is "trying" to complete with Atlanta these days. Certainly not Nashville or Charlotte for the matter. Atlanta will always be the dominant city in the south but it will not have domicency over these newer cities. You can have that edge city crap but I'll take Charlottes "growing up an out" from the city core any day and our core is booming with high density development. I love Atlanta and I go for gay pride but this response makes Atlanta look very ugly.
Except Atlanta is still a lot denser and more walkable at it's core than Charlotte LOL, plus it has far more interesting neighborhoods. I really can't think of one neighborhood that's would be interesting to me in Charlotte. There's nothing like Little Five Points in Charlotte. Nothing like Midtown. Nothing like Castlebury Hill. Nothing like Edgewood Avenue. Nothing like the Beltline. Nothing like the upcoming Ponce City Market. Hell, Atlanta even has it's own urban walkable high end shopping district.

So stop with this "Charlotte growing up an out". Charlotte isn't the only one getting high density development. Atlanta is getting what Charlotte is getting and much more.

People here need to understand why Atlanta is THE hub of the South. No city within a 400-500 mile radius has a Buckhead Atlanta. No city has a mall that does as well as Lenox. The corporate presence of Atlanta. The busiest airport in the world. No city has nearly the development construction investment that Atlanta even it's economy was pure ****. Atlanta, Ga. - In Photos: The 20 U.S. Cities With The Most New Construction - Forbes 3.6 billion pumped into Atlanta in 2014. The 2nd closest in the Southeast would be Nashville at 1.5 billion. Hosted the Olympic Games. Possibly the fastest growing metro EVER in a single decade(In the 90s, Atlanta literally went from 2.5 million is 4 million). No city is undergoing a transformative project that will change their city forever(I'm referring to the Beltline). And please note, when I say "No city", I'm simply referring to any and all cities in a 400 or so mile radius.

People slight and bash Atlanta a lot for being the city it is today...the metro it is today, but one thing even I can admit is that it made things happen and it pushed itself to be what it today in a very short amount of time and become recognized as a potential world player.

Anyways, I've already answered this question in an earlier post and chose Nashville. I really do feel this will be a city of the future. It has the diverse economy to do it which means it will be able to withstand the booms and busts of any particular industry slowdown similar to Atlanta itself.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Except Atlanta is still a lot denser and more walkable at it's core than Charlotte LOL, plus it has far more interesting neighborhoods. I really can't think of one neighborhood that's would be interesting to me in Charlotte. There's nothing like Little Five Points in Charlotte. Nothing like Midtown. Nothing like Castlebury Hill. Nothing like Edgewood Avenue. Nothing like the Beltline. Nothing like the upcoming Ponce City Market. Hell, Atlanta even has it's own urban walkable high end shopping district.

So stop with this "Charlotte growing up an out". Charlotte isn't the only one getting high density development. Atlanta is getting what Charlotte is getting and much more.

People here need to understand why Atlanta is THE hub of the South. No city within a 400-500 mile radius has a Buckhead Atlanta. No city has a mall that does as well as Lenox. The corporate presence of Atlanta. The busiest airport in the world. No city has nearly the development construction investment that Atlanta even it's economy was pure ****. Atlanta, Ga. - In Photos: The 20 U.S. Cities With The Most New Construction - Forbes 3.6 billion pumped into Atlanta in 2014. The 2nd closest in the Southeast would be Nashville at 1.5 billion. Hosted the Olympic Games. Possibly the fastest growing metro EVER in a single decade(In the 90s, Atlanta literally went from 2.5 million is 4 million). No city is undergoing a transformative project that will change their city forever(I'm referring to the Beltline). And please note, when I say "No city", I'm simply referring to any and all cities in a 400 or so mile radius.

People slight and bash Atlanta a lot for being the city it is today...the metro it is today, but one thing even I can admit is that it made things happen and it pushed itself to be what it today in a very short amount of time and become recognized as a potential world player.

Anyways, I've already answered this question in an earlier post and chose Nashville. I really do feel this will be a city of the future. It has the diverse economy to do it which means it will be able to withstand the booms and busts of any particular industry slowdown similar to Atlanta itself.
Right after Miami and Orlando of course which the list has at 2.8 billion and 2.2 billion respectively.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:41 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,619,491 times
Eh, for some reason, I don't count those two cities as the Southeast, which is why I did not include them. There's a reason I said a 400-500 mile radius. Orlando is probably within that radius, but the point still stands honestly.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Eh, for some reason, I don't count those two cities as the Southeast, which is why I did not include them. There's a reason I said a 400-500 mile radius. Orlando is probably within that radius, but the point still stands honestly.
Of course, I wasn't attempting to discredit your points about Atlanta, still valid 100%.

The odd occlusion of major players in Florida such as Tampa and Orlando in this thread but the inclusion of Nashville and such has me scratching my head that's all.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:53 PM

252 posts, read 252,835 times
i don't think average person in the coastal southeastern states like the Carolinas will ever go to Nashville unless they are country music fan. Calling it a hub of the south seems like a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or