U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.96%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.86%
Nashville, TN 107 39.48%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.17%
Louisville, KY 10 3.69%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.20%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.90%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:00 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,594,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Of course, I wasn't attempting to discredit your points about Atlanta, still valid 100%.

The odd occlusion of major players in Florida such as Tampa and Orlando in this thread but the inclusion of Nashville and such has me scratching my head that's all.
I think Orlando is doing EXTREMELY well at the moment...it's like a hidden, underrated city that coming into it's own, but no one ever really talks about it. It's economy is great. It's getting A LOT of development investment. It actually has more economic potential than Miami does and it's growing at a pretty hefty rate. The problem is though, is that not only is it in Miami's shadow, but it's only truly known for Walt Disney World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 01:22 PM

27,763 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Except Atlanta is still a lot denser and more walkable at it's core than Charlotte LOL, plus it has far more interesting neighborhoods. I really can't think of one neighborhood that's would be interesting to me in Charlotte. There's nothing like Little Five Points in Charlotte. Nothing like Midtown. Nothing like Castlebury Hill. Nothing like Edgewood Avenue. Nothing like the Beltline. Nothing like the upcoming Ponce City Market. Hell, Atlanta even has it's own urban walkable high end shopping district.
Actually Charlotte does have its own version of Little Five Points, Castleberry Hill, and Edgewood; those would be NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, and SouthEnd, and uptown Charlotte is more like Midtown Atlanta than downtown Atlanta. The difference is that Atlanta has more of these streetcar suburbs with commercial districts than Charlotte, which makes sense as Atlanta has been the larger city since the dawn of the 20th century. True, Charlotte doesn't have an answer for the Beltline or Ponce. And I'm not sure if I would call Buckhead Atlanta an "urban walkable high end shopping district;" it's more of a new New Urbanist development in the middle of a quasi-edge city but it does have great potential.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:28 PM

3,447 posts, read 5,589,272 times
Quote:
I think Orlando is doing EXTREMELY well at the moment...it's like a hidden, underrated city that coming into it's own, but no one ever really talks about it. It's economy is great. It's getting A LOT of development investment. It actually has more economic potential than Miami does and it's growing at a pretty hefty rate. The problem is though, is that not only is it in Miami's shadow, but it's only truly known for Walt Disney World.
Yeah I tend to agree. Miami's shadow isn't exactly how I see it though.

While Miami is without a doubt the biggest player in Florida in many respects, people in the state don't need to think about Miami in the same way someone in another state thinks of their city's big brother. An simple example is that I've never had to go to Miami for a concert or play or even flight since Orlando and Tampa both hold their own in this regard and are so close that they compliment or overlap each other in amenities.

The being known for WDW thing is true and I think now that local leadership has finally admitted that, the perception might change. And by change I don't mean that all of a sudden you'll see national cultural exports that scream Orlando or anything like that, but a growing city that embraces it's multifaceted existence is a start.

And of course things like this will help too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoVUOW93yeU

Old 05-15-2015, 01:42 PM

252 posts, read 251,622 times
how is the city with Disneyworld 'hidden' or underrated? Everybody is aware of Orlando lol

Old 05-15-2015, 01:49 PM

3,447 posts, read 5,589,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post
how is the city with Disneyworld 'hidden' or underrated? Everybody is aware of Orlando lol
The "real Orlando" is what's supposedly hidden. Everyone knows us worldwide for our entertainment, but they don't really know how unique the rest of the metro area is. I mean most people who don't live in Tampa, Phoenix, Charlotte, or whatnot don't really know the real city there either. They go off what they read in an article, or heard someone say, just those other cities aren't known worldwide for one very visible brand and experience the way Orlando is.

So the perception is such...

Old 05-15-2015, 01:53 PM

Orlando seems like everywhere else to me. Most places aren't that unique. See the same stuff there I see in SC.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:13 PM

27,763 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Quote:
I think the issue with almost all of Florida's cities, including Miami to a degree, is that due to the state's geography, they have little to no economic, cultural, etc. influence outside of Florida. Jacksonville is something of an exception here as it has influence in south Georgia.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:26 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,862,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post
Orlando seems like everywhere else to me. Most places aren't that unique. See the same stuff there I see in SC.
I'm choosing to move to Orlando out of everywhere else. It's unique enough for me.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:12 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,210,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm choosing to move to Orlando out of everywhere else. It's unique enough for me.
Good for you I love it when real people are unaffected by the characters on this site...and trust me, they are just characters playing their respective roles. Enjoy Orlando.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:44 PM

What makes it unique other than DisneyWorld is there?

Last edited by Gamecock Student; 05-15-2015 at 04:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or