Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.93%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.82%
Nashville, TN 108 39.71%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.15%
Louisville, KY 10 3.68%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.10%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.88%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:30 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times

Advertisements

Austin should be on that list. Austin is right at 2 million now and is predicted to have over 3 million in the next 15 years. I don't think any Southern metro area is growing as fast as Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 10:30 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,421 times
But after seeing the poll question....which should've been the post topic is between Raleigh and Nashville.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Austin should be on that list. Austin is right at 2 million now and is predicted to have over 3 million in the next 15 years. I don't think any Southern metro area is growing as fast as Austin.
Charlotte and Raleigh are supposed to double in 20 years as well. With Charlotte as the bigger metro of the bunch. The leaders here are pushing for us to double to 4 mill in 20 years . Me I see us between 3.7 or 3.8 million. 4 is slightly pushing it but at the rate things are going up here it might be a possibility.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:07 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
I hope the growth rates for Raleigh and Charlotte slow down, the last thing we need is more soulless suburban sprawl ripping apart the countryside destroying southern culture and replacing it with strip malls and apartment complexes.

On a side note, someone should make a Raleigh vs Nashville thread or Nashville vs Richmond.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I hope the growth rates for Raleigh and Charlotte slow down, the last thing we need is more soulless suburban sprawl ripping apart the countryside destroying southern culture and replacing it with strip malls and apartment complexes.

On a side note, someone should make a Raleigh vs Nashville thread or Nashville vs Richmond.
I doubt the rates will slow down for either two. One a side note Charlotte is completely building from the inside out and is densifying like crazy. If there was to be serious suburban it'll be from the outlining cities but even then more people are choosing to live in charlotte proper and inside the 485 loop.

Last edited by choloboy36; 03-29-2015 at 11:36 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 12:15 AM

372 posts, read 449,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I was unsure whether to include Austin as I didn't know whether it was really southern. I don't want to start a debate on that but next time I'll include an 'other' selection since some are upset. However I asked these specific cities because they were mostly similar in size and I thought it would be an interesting debate. We already know cities with 2 million plus are on there way which is why I'm asking about the more underdog cities. Don't be offended when your city isn't included.

Last edited by cj0065; 03-30-2015 at 12:27 AM..

Old 03-30-2015, 01:23 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,969,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
I've passed through Birmingham on the way to Atlanta a few times and it seems like a vibrant city that is growing. Not sure why people are looking down on it.
You're absolutely right. It is a sleeper that nobody sees coming, but Birmingham is just beginning its downtown renaissance that will be noticeable to outsiders in a few years. It was late to the game and falls behind other cities listed (except for maybe Memphis which isn't really going anywhere for the time being)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Why is Charlotte not on this list????
I was wondering the same thing. I would've voted for Charlotte if it were listed.

From the list, IMO, here is my ranking of these cities' likelyhood of being the "next hub of the south"

Raleigh
Nashville
Jacksonville
Louisville
New Orleans
Richmond
Birmingham
Memphis

Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
You're absolutely right. It is a sleeper that nobody sees coming, but Birmingham is just beginning its downtown renaissance that will be noticeable to outsiders in a few years. It was late to the game and falls behind other cities listed (except for maybe Memphis which isn't really going anywhere for the time being)

I was wondering the same thing. I would've voted for Charlotte if it were listed.

From the list, IMO, here is my ranking of these cities' likelyhood of being the "next hub of the south"

Raleigh
Nashville
Jacksonville
Louisville
New Orleans
Richmond
Birmingham
Memphis
I too drove through Birmingham this past December and was kind of shocked at how vibrant their downtown was becoming. It could definitely be a sleeper city for sure if they can keep up the momentum. It still has a ways to go yet before it can be grouped with Nashville and Charlotte though.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:20 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
It already shocked the world in 1963.....which is still holding it back!
That's really not what's holding it back and I think people make entirely too much of that. I think more pronounced White flight is really more to blame, as it really took a toll on the city center. Also Birmingham successfully transitioned from an industrial economy to a service economy and was doing relatively well, particularly in banking, until Charlotte, and Atlanta to a lesser extent, acquired its banks and shifted operations away from Birmingham. In more recent times, I think that hampered its progress more than anything else. Birmingham wasn't the only city affected in this way, but I think it was a bit more disproportionately affected.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are the South's current hubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City